SL75DRV2

A few years ago I built a PC for general home use based around the
soltek SL-75DRV2 motherboard. this was fitted with a Athlon 2100+
processor and 2 sticks of 256Mb ram.

when built it was running windows98 and no problems. I have recently
upgraded to XP and found it a bit sluggish so decided to put in some
more ram. As I was unsure how much was installed I checked in my
computor/properties and it said 256Mb. I therefore ordered another
512Mb

Later I was thinking about this and thought this might be wrong so I
physiclly checked and there were 2 x 256 stiks of RAM.

I don't know when it stopped recognising all the RAM or if it ever did
see it all. with a bit of playing around I have got it to see 512 Mb
but only by putting it into slots 1 and 3.

Anyone any ideas what is going on. all seems to work OK in this
configuration but when the exra memeory turns up will I have to junk
one of the origonal sticks

Cheers in advance

Phil

On 5 Dec 2004 09:12:07 -0800, indgepr@supanet.com (indgepr) wrote:

>A few years ago I built a PC for general home use based around the
>soltek SL-75DRV2 motherboard. this was fitted with a Athlon 2100+
>processor and 2 sticks of 256Mb ram.
>
>when built it was running windows98 and no problems. I have recently
>upgraded to XP and found it a bit sluggish so decided to put in some
>more ram. As I was unsure how much was installed I checked in my
>computor/properties and it said 256Mb. I therefore ordered another
>512Mb
>
>Later I was thinking about this and thought this might be wrong so I
>physiclly checked and there were 2 x 256 stiks of RAM.
>
>I don't know when it stopped recognising all the RAM or if it ever did
>see it all. with a bit of playing around I have got it to see 512 Mb
>but only by putting it into slots 1 and 3.
>
>Anyone any ideas what is going on. all seems to work OK in this
>configuration but when the exra memeory turns up will I have to junk
>one of the origonal sticks
>
>Cheers in advance
>
>Phil

Since i have no clue as to how many total mem slots yer mobo has, then
I will assume it has a total of 3. As u stated, the machine had 2
sticks of 256megs fer a total of 512megs which each stick of 256megs
was using 1 slot each, thus, leaving 1 slot available... you then
decided to get another 512 for which should be 1 FULL gig total ram.

If you say you are now using slots 1 and 3 but which mem? Slot 1 - 512
stick and slot 3 - 256meg? thats only 768. Or slot 1 - 256 and slot 3
256 thats a total of 512megs... where's the 512meggger? slot 2?

I am quite confused now... however, I must say that the best way to
clear this up is for you to find the mobo maker's manual and RTFM!!!

Mind you that a lot of mobo makers as well as mem makers are quite
picky on where they wanna work but it wont hurt to still RTFM!!!

G'luck!