Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hitachi Hard drive

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2004 5:51:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi.
I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
much about their hard drives.
(it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)

More about : hitachi hard drive

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2004 2:47:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

>>>>> "xscript" == xscript <xscript@net.hr> writes:

xscript> Hi. I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which
xscript> worked just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi
xscript> drives? Speed, quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster,
xscript> but I don't know much about their hard drives. (it's hard to find
xscript> comparison on hard drives)

What's wrong with www.storagereview.com? They have the tests on database,
so you can compare the disks you like, with benchmarks you like.


--
Arto V. Viitanen av@cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences
Tampere, Finland http://www.cs.uta.fi/~av/
December 8, 2004 1:03:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

hallo dude i wont suggest u to go for a hitachi hdd....i have got few
frens who r facing problem with the quality..........as far as my view
goes go for a samsung or seagate hdd.....quality of seagate is very
nice and that service of samsung is best........well if u need to do
heavy work n learn comps i suggest u to go for samsung, else seagate is
fine.......one thing i can assure u samsung wont leave u even if u
try...i have formatted my samsung sata 80gb hdd atleast 70 times in
last 4-5 months and still its in best working condition............as a
final word i'll only suggest u not to go for hitachi.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 12:11:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 8 Dec 2004 10:03:52 -0800, "rohit" <anuj_prateekin@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>hallo dude i wont suggest u to go for a hitachi hdd....i have got few
>frens who r facing problem with the quality..........as far as my view
>goes go for a samsung or seagate hdd.....quality of seagate is very
>nice and that service of samsung is best........well if u need to do
>heavy work n learn comps i suggest u to go for samsung, else seagate is
>fine.......one thing i can assure u samsung wont leave u even if u
>try...i have formatted my samsung sata 80gb hdd atleast 70 times in
>last 4-5 months and still its in best working condition............as a
>final word i'll only suggest u not to go for hitachi.

Maxtor is nice too :-) And they tends to be a bit cheaper than the rest. They
are very durable goods.
December 16, 2004 12:11:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

RayOfLight wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2004 10:03:52 -0800, "rohit" <anuj_prateekin@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
>
>>hallo dude i wont suggest u to go for a hitachi hdd....i have got few
>>frens who r facing problem with the quality..........as far as my view
>>goes go for a samsung or seagate hdd.....quality of seagate is very
>>nice and that service of samsung is best........well if u need to do
>>heavy work n learn comps i suggest u to go for samsung, else seagate is
>>fine.......one thing i can assure u samsung wont leave u even if u
>>try...i have formatted my samsung sata 80gb hdd atleast 70 times in
>>last 4-5 months and still its in best working condition............as a
>>final word i'll only suggest u not to go for hitachi.
>
>
> Maxtor is nice too :-) And they tends to be a bit cheaper than the rest. They
> are very durable goods.

And, in all probability, problems with Hitachi are probably the
exception and not the rule! I have been using Hitachi drives for
several years without any problems! At the moment I have two Hitachi
SATA drives in my system, and one in my wife's, and they are excellent
drives!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 12:11:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:41:17 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>RayOfLight wrote:
>
>> On 8 Dec 2004 10:03:52 -0800, "rohit" <anuj_prateekin@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>hallo dude i wont suggest u to go for a hitachi hdd....i have got few
>>>frens who r facing problem with the quality..........as far as my view
>>>goes go for a samsung or seagate hdd.....quality of seagate is very
>>>nice and that service of samsung is best........well if u need to do
>>>heavy work n learn comps i suggest u to go for samsung, else seagate is
>>>fine.......one thing i can assure u samsung wont leave u even if u
>>>try...i have formatted my samsung sata 80gb hdd atleast 70 times in
>>>last 4-5 months and still its in best working condition............as a
>>>final word i'll only suggest u not to go for hitachi.
>>
>>
>> Maxtor is nice too :-) And they tends to be a bit cheaper than the rest. They
>> are very durable goods.
>
>And, in all probability, problems with Hitachi are probably the
>exception and not the rule! I have been using Hitachi drives for
>several years without any problems! At the moment I have two Hitachi
>SATA drives in my system, and one in my wife's, and they are excellent
>drives!


Yep, I'd be inclined to choose Hitachi over Samsung or
Maxtor, both of the latter seem to have lower reliability
recently. Granted that's not a valid conclusion
statistically, but until manufacturers are more forthcoming
about real failure rates, hearesay or personal experiences
are all we have.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 3:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 5 Dec 2004 14:51:43 -0800, xscript@net.hr (xscript) wrote:

>Hi.
>I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
>just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
>quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
>much about their hard drives.
>(it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)

Hitachi's drives are what were formerly known as IBM's Deskstar
drives. I would think the issues with the deskstars were worked out
some time ago. No major reports of problems on the Hitachi made
drives, but for the price, you may as well buy a Seagate. The
warranty's longer.
---------------------------------------------

MCheu
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 8:14:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:57:34 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:41:17 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net>
>wrote:
>
>>RayOfLight wrote:
>>
>>> On 8 Dec 2004 10:03:52 -0800, "rohit" <anuj_prateekin@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>hallo dude i wont suggest u to go for a hitachi hdd....i have got few
>>>>frens who r facing problem with the quality..........as far as my view
>>>>goes go for a samsung or seagate hdd.....quality of seagate is very
>>>>nice and that service of samsung is best........well if u need to do
>>>>heavy work n learn comps i suggest u to go for samsung, else seagate is
>>>>fine.......one thing i can assure u samsung wont leave u even if u
>>>>try...i have formatted my samsung sata 80gb hdd atleast 70 times in
>>>>last 4-5 months and still its in best working condition............as a
>>>>final word i'll only suggest u not to go for hitachi.
>>>
>>>
>>> Maxtor is nice too :-) And they tends to be a bit cheaper than the rest. They
>>> are very durable goods.
>>
>>And, in all probability, problems with Hitachi are probably the
>>exception and not the rule! I have been using Hitachi drives for
>>several years without any problems! At the moment I have two Hitachi
>>SATA drives in my system, and one in my wife's, and they are excellent
>>drives!
>
>
>Yep, I'd be inclined to choose Hitachi over Samsung or
>Maxtor, both of the latter seem to have lower reliability
>recently. Granted that's not a valid conclusion
>statistically, but until manufacturers are more forthcoming
>about real failure rates, hearesay or personal experiences
>are all we have.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never experienced a failure in any of
the HDDs that I've bought and used myself. I wonder whether high
failure rates can be at least in part blamed on mishandling by the
customer. I say this because I often see people moving and bashing PC
cases while the HDD is spinning, a practice which makes me shudder.


- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 8:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:14:57 +1100, Franc Zabkar
<fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:


>>Yep, I'd be inclined to choose Hitachi over Samsung or
>>Maxtor, both of the latter seem to have lower reliability
>>recently. Granted that's not a valid conclusion
>>statistically, but until manufacturers are more forthcoming
>>about real failure rates, hearesay or personal experiences
>>are all we have.
>
>Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never experienced a failure in any of
>the HDDs that I've bought and used myself. I wonder whether high
>failure rates can be at least in part blamed on mishandling by the
>customer. I say this because I often see people moving and bashing PC
>cases while the HDD is spinning, a practice which makes me shudder.

I often suspect as much too, or that the drive was handled
poorly prior to reaching installer or customer. While it's
more difficult to know what's happening with drives before
they reach us, I'm quite sure the last couple I had fail
weren't subject to mishandling. Since there are multiple
failure modes that does nothing to account for the fate of
other drives.
December 16, 2004 8:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I've had much less hard drive failures now than 10 years ago. I think
the quality has increased. I buy Maxtor and Seagate. I have avoided
Hitachi and IBM hard drives.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 8:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:28:45 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:14:57 +1100, Franc Zabkar
><fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never experienced a failure in any of
>>the HDDs that I've bought and used myself. I wonder whether high
>>failure rates can be at least in part blamed on mishandling by the
>>customer. I say this because I often see people moving and bashing PC
>>cases while the HDD is spinning, a practice which makes me shudder.
>
>I often suspect as much too, or that the drive was handled
>poorly prior to reaching installer or customer. While it's
>more difficult to know what's happening with drives before
>they reach us, I'm quite sure the last couple I had fail
>weren't subject to mishandling. Since there are multiple
>failure modes that does nothing to account for the fate of
>other drives.

Well, I MEANT, mishandling after I'd received them... still
no way to know what happened beforehand.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 8:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:28:45 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>While it's
>more difficult to know what's happening with drives before
>they reach us, I'm quite sure the last couple I had fail
>weren't subject to mishandling.

_________________________________________________________

Twice I've had HDs fail after several years of operation with no
mishandling at all. My policy is to replace HDs every three or four
years whether they show signs of problems or not. At that age they're
not long for this world anyway.

--
BT
December 16, 2004 8:15:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Bill Turner wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:28:45 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>
>>While it's
>>more difficult to know what's happening with drives before
>>they reach us, I'm quite sure the last couple I had fail
>>weren't subject to mishandling.
>
>
> _________________________________________________________
>
> Twice I've had HDs fail after several years of operation with no
> mishandling at all. My policy is to replace HDs every three or four
> years whether they show signs of problems or not. At that age they're
> not long for this world anyway.
>

Several years is the life expectancy of a hard drive. It's not a
question of whether it's going to fail. It's a matter of when is it
going to fail!

Just for an example, Seagate states that for their SATA drives the "Life
Expectancy" is 5 years, and their warranty is 5 years.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2004 10:03:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Dee wrote:
> Several years is the life expectancy of a hard drive. It's not a
> question of whether it's going to fail. It's a matter of when is it
> going to fail!
>
> Just for an example, Seagate states that for their SATA drives the
> "Life Expectancy" is 5 years, and their warranty is 5 years.

You may want to check on the worth of that warranty. See recent article
here....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20154
December 16, 2004 10:03:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:

> Dee wrote:
>
>>Several years is the life expectancy of a hard drive. It's not a
>>question of whether it's going to fail. It's a matter of when is it
>>going to fail!
>>
>>Just for an example, Seagate states that for their SATA drives the
>>"Life Expectancy" is 5 years, and their warranty is 5 years.
>
>
> You may want to check on the worth of that warranty. See recent article
> here....
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20154
>
>

I didn't say I bought any Seagate drives, I just used the information
from their web page as an example.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2004 8:21:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Tiny Tim wrote:

> Dee wrote:
>
>>Several years is the life expectancy of a hard drive. It's not a
>>question of whether it's going to fail. It's a matter of when is it
>>going to fail!
>>
>>Just for an example, Seagate states that for their SATA drives the
>>"Life Expectancy" is 5 years, and their warranty is 5 years.
>
>
> You may want to check on the worth of that warranty. See recent article
> here....
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20154
>
>

The problem isn't the 'warranty'; it's people not knowing what "OEM" means.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2004 4:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Ive got a 160gig SATA Hitachi, boughtit becuase of the review on
Storage review :) 

Not a prob its one fast drive, BUT, it meeows like a kitty, which i
dont mind, it only does it now and again not constant, its quiet as
otherwise :) 

Recommedned.


On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:52:02 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 5 Dec 2004 14:51:43 -0800, xscript@net.hr (xscript) wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
>>just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
>>quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
>>much about their hard drives.
>>(it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)
>
>Hitachi's drives are what were formerly known as IBM's Deskstar
>drives. I would think the issues with the deskstars were worked out
>some time ago. No major reports of problems on the Hitachi made
>drives, but for the price, you may as well buy a Seagate. The
>warranty's longer.
>---------------------------------------------
>
>MCheu
!