Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First home-built PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 6, 2004 2:07:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Good Morning,

I recently bought a barebone pc fron an online retailer. To my surprise,
the PC came in parts so I had to put it together (first time). This is not
my first time working with PC. I got a Asus (A8V) mother board with a AMD
64 3400 CPU, 512 (ULTRA-400) memory, 120 GB hard drive, Chaintech G-Force
FX520 v-card and a 16X DVD burner all this in a SOYO case.

After putting about six hours working on the PC, the PC would not work. I
contacted the retailer and they sent me a mobo replacement (apparently the
Asus mobo was bad). I received an Abit AV8. I put the PC together again
and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works. I get power to the
motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has two
LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and the
other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come on.
The motherboard indicates that does not support 3.3V AGP cards. To use only
1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards.

How can I verify this? I have checked the v-card, the box, online and no
luck. Please help.

More about : home built

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2004 1:48:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"CC" <locorican68@comcast.net> wrote in
news:VOednWPDiZ42HincRVn-3A@comcast.com:

> I get power to the
> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8
> has two LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power
> source, and the other indicates the system power is on). The second
> LED does not come on.
>

Check your case? Maybe remove the case Power On connectors and (carefully)
short the "Power On" Pins on the mobo with a screwdriver.

--
Lordy
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2004 2:37:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"CC" <locorican68@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:VOednWPDiZ42HincRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> Good Morning,
>
> I recently bought a barebone pc fron an online retailer. To my surprise,
> the PC came in parts so I had to put it together (first time). This is
not
> my first time working with PC. I got a Asus (A8V) mother board with a AMD
> 64 3400 CPU, 512 (ULTRA-400) memory, 120 GB hard drive, Chaintech G-Force
> FX520 v-card and a 16X DVD burner all this in a SOYO case.
>
> After putting about six hours working on the PC, the PC would not work. I
> contacted the retailer and they sent me a mobo replacement (apparently the
> Asus mobo was bad). I received an Abit AV8. I put the PC together again
> and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works.

Can you give some more details ? 'Work' and 'not work' are a bit vague.
Do the PSU and CPU fans turn when you press the power button ? Is it
that the fans turn but you get no picture on the monitor ?

How was the power supply checked ? Was it tested on another computer
or was it manually turned to full 'on' using pin #14 ?

> I get power to the
> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has
two
> LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and
the
> other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come on.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but mobo LEDs generally use the
standby 5V supply line which is separate from the main outputs. A lighted
mobo LED is no guarantee that the PSU is OK.

> The motherboard indicates that does not support 3.3V AGP cards. To use
only
> 1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards.

That's no problem unless you want to install a very old AGP card.

>
> How can I verify this? I have checked the v-card, the box, online and no
> luck. Please help.
>
If you have not tested the PSU on another computer or manually forced
it on, my suggestion is to substitute it with a known good one.
Related resources
December 7, 2004 8:14:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

(1) Can you give some more details ? 'Work' and 'not work' are a bit vague.
> Do the PSU and CPU fans turn when you press the power button ? Is it
> that the fans turn but you get no picture on the monitor ?

The power supply fan does not start/run on the PC when the power button is
pressed. The fan does not run, no picture or activity.

(2) How was the power supply checked ? Was it tested on another computer
> or was it manually turned to full 'on' using pin #14 ?

I took the power supply to a local store, where they tested the power
supply.
"CC" <locorican68@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:VOednWPDiZ42HincRVn-3A@comcast.com...
> Good Morning,
>
> I recently bought a barebone pc fron an online retailer. To my surprise,
> the PC came in parts so I had to put it together (first time). This is
not
> my first time working with PC. I got a Asus (A8V) mother board with a AMD
> 64 3400 CPU, 512 (ULTRA-400) memory, 120 GB hard drive, Chaintech G-Force
> FX520 v-card and a 16X DVD burner all this in a SOYO case.
>
> After putting about six hours working on the PC, the PC would not work. I
> contacted the retailer and they sent me a mobo replacement (apparently the
> Asus mobo was bad). I received an Abit AV8. I put the PC together again
> and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works. I get power to
the
> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has
two
> LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and
the
> other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come on.
> The motherboard indicates that does not support 3.3V AGP cards. To use
only
> 1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards.
>
> How can I verify this? I have checked the v-card, the box, online and no
> luck. Please help.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2004 3:10:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

CC wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I recently bought a barebone pc fron an online retailer. To my surprise,
> the PC came in parts so I had to put it together (first time). This is not
> my first time working with PC. I got a Asus (A8V) mother board with a AMD
> 64 3400 CPU, 512 (ULTRA-400) memory, 120 GB hard drive, Chaintech G-Force
> FX520 v-card and a 16X DVD burner all this in a SOYO case.
>
> After putting about six hours working on the PC, the PC would not work. I
> contacted the retailer and they sent me a mobo replacement (apparently the
> Asus mobo was bad). I received an Abit AV8. I put the PC together again
> and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works. I get power to the
> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has two
> LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and the
> other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come on.
> The motherboard indicates that does not support 3.3V AGP cards. To use only
> 1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards.
>
> How can I verify this? I have checked the v-card, the box, online and no
> luck. Please help.
>
>
Video card can be bad.

Memory can be bad.

Motherboard can be grounding out. Did you mount it on standoffs so it
does not touch the mounting plate. Grounding often causes this problem.

You might also check how the case wires are attached to the motherboard.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2004 8:46:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Had a similar problem with an Abit board once, when I spoke to their Tech
guys they told me to remove the CMOS battery and reset it. It worked a treat
the system fired up straight away. Give it a go see what happens.
"Last Boy Scout" <eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote in message
news:gabud.5807$tC6.1467@fe05.lga...
> CC wrote:
>
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I recently bought a barebone pc fron an online retailer. To my surprise,
>> the PC came in parts so I had to put it together (first time). This is
>> not
>> my first time working with PC. I got a Asus (A8V) mother board with a
>> AMD
>> 64 3400 CPU, 512 (ULTRA-400) memory, 120 GB hard drive, Chaintech G-Force
>> FX520 v-card and a 16X DVD burner all this in a SOYO case.
>>
>> After putting about six hours working on the PC, the PC would not work.
>> I
>> contacted the retailer and they sent me a mobo replacement (apparently
>> the
>> Asus mobo was bad). I received an Abit AV8. I put the PC together again
>> and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works. I get power to
>> the
>> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has
>> two
>> LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and
>> the
>> other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come
>> on.
>> The motherboard indicates that does not support 3.3V AGP cards. To use
>> only
>> 1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards.
>>
>> How can I verify this? I have checked the v-card, the box, online and no
>> luck. Please help.
>>
>>
> Video card can be bad.
>
> Memory can be bad.
>
> Motherboard can be grounding out. Did you mount it on standoffs so it
> does not touch the mounting plate. Grounding often causes this problem.
>
> You might also check how the case wires are attached to the motherboard.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2004 3:35:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,
I would Check your connection,You did plug it into the RIGHT pair of
pins.the power supply has a Pc power select line that is activated by your
Pc(fan/power,etc)
and the switch,if the connection is a pin off or in the wrong location it
will not work!
since the PS works ok! I would look at that first,check the
connection!common problem.

For a newbie do this:lay the Board down on a table.
Install the CPU/Fan on the board,plugin the fan....Install Memory.
now plugin the Video card,connect to video display and plugin Power supply !
turn on power supply! the light on the board will light up!OK!
with a big flat blade screwdriver,short the two pins where you normaly
plugin the switch on the computer,the system should powerup! if it don't,and
nothing happens at all,other light don,t come on,no fan! you have a faulty
board,return it for another one! this is the best way to find your way
around the board and get used to where everything is,and find out if it
works BEFORE you hang it in the case!(grin)
good luck! I build them for others!

Mine: >
ABIT AN7 CPU Amd 3200 (400fsb)
2x512 meg dual channel (400fsb) Pc 3200 DDR memory Winfast A400 Gt
TDH(Nvidia Geforce 6800 256meg DDR-3 Memory. 2x SATA 120 gig 7200rpm

Fast!
Merry Xmas to ALL

Dennis



Merry Xmas
















































































































































"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
news:XN4ud.7180$tj.1377@news01.roc.ny...
> CC wrote:
>
>> and the same result. The P/S was checked and it works. I get power to
>> the
>> motherboard, but nothing else happens (I know this, because the AV8 has
>> two
>> LED, one that indicates power supply is connected to a power source, and
>> the
>> other indicates the system power is on). The second LED does not come
>> on.
>
> Are you sure the case's on/off switch is connected correctly to the
> motherboard and that it works? How about jumpering the on/off switch
> directly without using the case's switch? Better yet, take the mobo out
> of the case, and set up a minimal system (PSU, mobo, CPU w/cooler, RAM,
> video, keyboard).
!