ATA 100 H.D.D. not running correctly.

Craig

Hi,
I'm looking for a little assistance on the following matter;

I rebuilt my Dad's P.C. at the weekend, removed an old H.D.D. installed a
new one, formatted it, then installed XP Pro and SP1.
The install went fine. I then downloaded and installed the latest VIA 4-in-1
drivers, the AMD northbridge driver and the latest Nvidia driver. The driver
install also went without any hitches.
The problem is that the H.D.D. is set to Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 (from
memory). I don't seem to be able to change this to UDMA Mode 5.

Any ideas anyone?

The details of the P.C. follow;
Gigabyte GA-7DX
AMD Athlon 2100XP
768MB DDR 333
Chaintech Geforce4 MX440
80GB Western Digital H.D.D.
Sony 52X CD Rom
Sony 52X CD Writer
Can't remember the P.S.U. manufacturer.

TIA.

What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor? 40 conductor can only handle
UDMA-2......
(they're both 40pin, but the 80-conductor cable has ground lines between
every data line to stop overhearing..)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Craig" <1@1.COM> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a little assistance on the following matter;
>
> I rebuilt my Dad's P.C. at the weekend, removed an old H.D.D. installed a
> new one, formatted it, then installed XP Pro and SP1.
> The install went fine. I then downloaded and installed the latest VIA
4-in-1
> drivers, the AMD northbridge driver and the latest Nvidia driver. The
driver
> install also went without any hitches.
> The problem is that the H.D.D. is set to Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 (from
> memory). I don't seem to be able to change this to UDMA Mode 5.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> The details of the P.C. follow;
> Gigabyte GA-7DX
> AMD Athlon 2100XP
> 768MB DDR 333
> Chaintech Geforce4 MX440
> 80GB Western Digital H.D.D.
> Sony 52X CD Rom
> Sony 52X CD Writer
> Can't remember the P.S.U. manufacturer.
>
> TIA.

Dee

Thomas Wendell wrote:

> What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor? 40 conductor can only handle
> UDMA-2......
> (they're both 40pin, but the 80-conductor cable has ground lines between
> every data line to stop overhearing..)

To stop overhearing what?

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:40:29 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net>
wrote:

>Thomas Wendell wrote:
>
>> What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor? 40 conductor can only handle
>> UDMA-2......
>> (they're both 40pin, but the 80-conductor cable has ground lines between
>> every data line to stop overhearing..)
>>

>To stop overhearing what?

Cross talk.

Craig

What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor?

I'm fairly positive it's a 40 conductor, I bought several IDE cables to try
and eliminate this problem, tried them all with no luck.

"Craig" <1@1.COM> wrote in news:cp3o9l$g3g$1@sparta.btinternet.com:

> What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor?
>
> I'm fairly positive it's a 40 conductor, I bought several IDE cables
> to try and eliminate this problem, tried them all with no luck.

You gotta have an 80pin cable to get the faster speeds.

John Smithe wrote:
> "Craig" <1@1.COM> wrote in news:cp3o9l$g3g$1@sparta.btinternet.com:
>

>>What's the IDE cable? 40 or 80 conductor?
>>
>>I'm fairly positive it's a 40 conductor, I bought several IDE cables
>>to try and eliminate this problem, tried them all with no luck.
>>

> You gotta have an 80pin cable to get the faster speeds.

Just so he's not confused, that should an 80 -conductor- cable. The
connector pin count is still 40.