NTFS Tools?

I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.

It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.

Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
without it getting detected).
10 answers Last reply
More about ntfs tools

    Bob wrote:

    > I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    > way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    > have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    > the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    > locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >
    > It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    > before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >
    > Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    > NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    > and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    > without it getting detected).

    Norton System works need Windows to work on NTFS partitions.

    Download a Knoppix CD, or a variant. Those are Linux that run from the CD
    ('Live' CD), needing no install, and can read NTFS partitions.

    The Knoppix CD is 650-700 meg (with tons of apps) but there are super small
    distros based on it like Damn Small and Feather Linux that are 49 (DSL) to
    62 (Feather) Meg.

    I don't think they don't do NTFS 'repair', however, but they can mount,
    read, and write to it.

    In article <rfudr0l5g4orlgidp4rbi5ksiv4ldad7r6@4ax.com>,
    Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >
    >It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >
    >Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >without it getting detected).

    Can you post the message you're getting ? There are lots of reasons
    that a machine can't boot, and NTFS doesn't self-destruct. I suspect
    there is a hardware problem. The XP Recovery proceedures can repair
    most boot problems if teh hardware is OK.

    If you can get the use of a second machine running XP you can pop your
    disk in as a secondary drive and try to copy yor files or burn them to
    CDR. You can run on this machine to gat a better idea of
    what's wrong with your file system.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    ----

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:07:49 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:

    | I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    | way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    | have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    | the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    | locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    |
    | It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    | before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    |
    | Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    | NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    | and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    | without it getting detected).

    I've used this small floppy program to retrieve data from an NTFS
    partition:

    http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

    And it's free! :-)

    Larc

    On 8 Dec 2004 09:22:38 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <rfudr0l5g4orlgidp4rbi5ksiv4ldad7r6@4ax.com>,
    >Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >>I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >>way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >>have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >>the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >>locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >>
    >>It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >>before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >>NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >>and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >>without it getting detected).
    >>

    >Can you post the message you're getting ? There are lots of reasons
    >that a machine can't boot, and NTFS doesn't self-destruct. I suspect
    >there is a hardware problem. The XP Recovery proceedures can repair
    >most boot problems if teh hardware is OK.

    I don't get any message. The machine hangs during boot up, even to
    Safe Mode, about the time the AGP driver is loading but I think this
    is just a coincidence.

    >If you can get the use of a second machine running XP you can pop your
    >disk in as a secondary drive and try to copy yor files or burn them to
    >CDR. You can run on this machine to gat a better idea of
    >what's wrong with your file system.

    When I put it in an external drive case and plug it into a USB port
    (this time on another computer) the system hangs with the system
    process consuming 98% CPU.

    One more clue is WInXP always complained about needing to run ScanDIsc
    on this partition ever since it was added to the machine. I just used
    Partition Magic to create the partition and copied data to it in the
    beginning. ScanDisc would usually run to completion and the machine
    would start up and run fine. I never really paid attention to the
    details (last time I do that). Finally ScanDisc complained about not
    having enough room to repair the errors after running at boot up and
    the next time I restarted the machine it hung up.

    There is a second partition on the drive that I was able to see at one
    point on the second machine when it booted up with this damaged
    partition not assigned to a logical drive letter. Once I assigned a
    drive letter to the damaged partition using partition magic I was back
    to the hung state.

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:23:50 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:07:49 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >| I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >| way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >| have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >| the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >| locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >|
    >| It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >| before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >|
    >| Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >| NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >| and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >| without it getting detected).
    >
    >I've used this small floppy program to retrieve data from an NTFS
    >partition:
    >
    >http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
    >
    >And it's free! :-)
    >
    >Larc

    Looks real promising Larc. THANKS!!

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:29:25 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >> way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >> have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >> the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >> locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >>
    >> It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >> before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >> NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >> and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >> without it getting detected).
    >>

    >Norton System works need Windows to work on NTFS partitions.
    >
    >Download a Knoppix CD, or a variant. Those are Linux that run from the CD
    >('Live' CD), needing no install, and can read NTFS partitions.
    >
    >The Knoppix CD is 650-700 meg (with tons of apps) but there are super small
    >distros based on it like Damn Small and Feather Linux that are 49 (DSL) to
    >62 (Feather) Meg.
    >
    >I don't think they don't do NTFS 'repair', however, but they can mount,
    >read, and write to it.

    Sounds like a good idea. I probably wouldn't be it this situation if I
    was using Linux in the first place. I do think the partition needs
    some repair though so maybe this won't help me out this time but
    switching to a Linux server might help out long term.

    Good advice. Thanks!

    In article <9djfr01p51lmnovcn7kai8enbvr762h0f5@4ax.com>,
    Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:29:25 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >>> way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >>> have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >>> the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >>> locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >>>
    >>> It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >>> before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >>> NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >>> and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >>> without it getting detected).
    >>>

    >>Norton System works need Windows to work on NTFS partitions.
    >>
    >>Download a Knoppix CD, or a variant. Those are Linux that run from the CD
    >>('Live' CD), needing no install, and can read NTFS partitions.
    >>
    >>The Knoppix CD is 650-700 meg (with tons of apps) but there are super small
    >>distros based on it like Damn Small and Feather Linux that are 49 (DSL) to
    >>62 (Feather) Meg.
    >>
    >>I don't think they don't do NTFS 'repair', however, but they can mount,
    >>read, and write to it.
    >>

    >Sounds like a good idea. I probably wouldn't be it this situation if I
    >was using Linux in the first place. I do think the partition needs
    >some repair though so maybe this won't help me out this time but
    >switching to a Linux server might help out long term.
    >
    >Good advice. Thanks!

    NTFS-based servers are fine, Linux servers are fine. If your hardware
    is dying you'll have problems in eaither case.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    ----

    Bob wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:23:50 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:07:49 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >| I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    > >| way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    > >| have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    > >| the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    > >| locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    > >|
    > >| It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    > >| before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    > >|
    > >| Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    > >| NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    > >| and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    > >| without it getting detected).
    > >
    > >I've used this small floppy program to retrieve data from an NTFS
    > >partition:
    > >
    > >http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
    > >
    > >And it's free! :-)
    > >
    > >Larc
    > >
    > Looks real promising Larc. THANKS!!

    I used HDDREG 1.4 to recover a 40GB IBM Deathstar
    Did you get it working or get your data
    Bob in Wisconsin
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:57:20 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:23:50 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:07:49 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>| I have a hard drive with an NTFS partition that is corrupted in such a
    >>| way that it caused the machine to lock up as soon as it is detected. I
    >>| have tried connecting it to a controller on the PCI bus and it locks
    >>| the machine while WinXP boots. I tried it on a USB controller and it
    >>| locks the machine as soon as WinXP detects it.
    >>|
    >>| It is a WD drive so I can use their tools to format the drive but
    >>| before I do that I would like to try to recover some of the data.
    >>|
    >>| Does anyone know of some good diagnostic utilities that can be used on
    >>| NTFS partitions? For instance, does Norton SystemWorks work with NTFS
    >>| and can it do that on a dos based OS (so I can get to the partition
    >>| without it getting detected).
    >>
    >>I've used this small floppy program to retrieve data from an NTFS
    >>partition:
    >>
    >>http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
    >>
    >>And it's free! :-)
    >>
    >>Larc

    That does look rather promising. However, there's another small tool
    too that can be run with a DOS floppy upon boot up thats called
    NTFSDOSPRO that allows you to read from NTFS partitions, depending of
    the severity of the partitiion that cant be accessed. I must say, it
    has saved my ass a few times already and it really does work like a
    charm cuz it gives full access to the drive in question like if it was
    a DOS hard drive. I think that depending on the version you get of
    NTFSDOSPRO, you can also be able to write to the NTFS partition too.

    You can read more about it and other really nice useful stuff over at:
    www.winternals.com

    Good luck to ya and let us know how it went, k?

    KDA
    A+, N+, Server+, MCP+I, MCSA, CNA
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <bva041da2v3qcs73edug94d6gu69nfeuoh@4ax.com>,
    Kiss Dizz Ass <kissmy@ss.com> wrote:
    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:57:20 -0600, Bob <techbob@mn.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:23:50 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I've used this small floppy program to retrieve data from an NTFS
    >>>partition:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
    >>>
    >>>And it's free! :-)
    >>>
    >>>Larc
    >
    >That does look rather promising. However, there's another small tool
    >too that can be run with a DOS floppy upon boot up thats called
    >NTFSDOSPRO that allows you to read from NTFS partitions, depending of
    >the severity of the partitiion that cant be accessed. I must say, it
    >has saved my ass a few times already and it really does work like a
    >charm cuz it gives full access to the drive in question like if it was
    >a DOS hard drive. I think that depending on the version you get of
    >NTFSDOSPRO, you can also be able to write to the NTFS partition too.
    >
    >You can read more about it and other really nice useful stuff over at:
    >www.winternals.com
    >
    >Good luck to ya and let us know how it went, k?
    >
    >KDA
    >A+, N+, Server+, MCP+I, MCSA, CNA

    Put the disk in a second XP machine on the second channel and see if
    you can access it. If you can then you can copy yoiur data off.

    Burning a knoppix CD abd booting it is good, too.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Homebuilt NTFS Systems