Error loading OS after new HD installation

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 11, 2004 9:49:52 PM

I have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
my old HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win 2000 with SP4
installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
there.

If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
drives > 137 MB.

I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
LBA addressing - no change.

Any suggestions?

Bob
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2004 11:15:31 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:49:52 GMT, "Bob"
<bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote:

>I have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
>Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
>work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
>included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
>my old HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win 2000 with SP4
>installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
>plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
>If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
>selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
>there.
>
>If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
>recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
>drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
>drives > 137 MB.
>
>I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
>LBA addressing - no change.
>
>Any suggestions?

Check the jumpers on the Western Digital. Set it to SINGLE
drive, unplug the old drive, and plug the WD into same
channel and position as the old drive (was). If the WD Data
Lifeguard correctly duped the drive, that should boot
windows. IF that works, then rejumper the WD to master and
add the other drive as slave, OR leave the WD on the end of
the cable and jumper both as CS.
December 12, 2004 1:34:47 AM

Bob wrote:

> I have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
> Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
> work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
> included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
> my old HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win 2000 with SP4
> installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
> plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
> If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
> selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
> there.
>
> If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
> recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
> drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
> drives > 137 MB.
>
> I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
> LBA addressing - no change.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bob

I saw this happen on another computer with Win 2000. Hook up your new
HD as a slave and boot with the old one as master. Enable your Windows
Explorer to be able to see BOOT.INI on the Slave drive. If it has a
comment regarding Disk "signature" with a number after it
i.e.(8b467c12), I believe you can delete that comment. It seems
sometimes the drive Win 2000 was installed on captures the information
from the HD and when you clone the drive to another HD there is a mismatch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q227704/

Is a site that does not clearly spell out this fact, but it does deal
with it.

Below is a typical Boot.ini file, you must edit yours to match your OS,
but the format is correct. Notice the signature comment is NOT present.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
Default= scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Winnt

[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Advanced Server" /fastdetect

also gives more info.
Related resources
December 13, 2004 9:01:55 PM

"Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
> I have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
> Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
> work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
> included with the drive to partition, format and copy files
from
> my old HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win 2000 with
SP4
> installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive
and
> plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading
OS".
> If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave
(CS
> selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
> there.
>
> If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
> recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
> drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
> drives > 137 MB.
>
> I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
> LBA addressing - no change.
>
> Any suggestions?

I finally tracked down my solution on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098

I used partition magic to delete the partition created on my
slip-streamed W2000/SP4 disk I created as part of my solution
hunt. That
seems to have done it.

Bob
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2005 9:54:53 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:01:55 GMT, "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> I have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
>> Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
>> work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
>> included with the drive to partition, format and copy files
>from
>> my old HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win 2000 with
>SP4
>> installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive
>and
>> plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading
>OS".
>> If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave
>(CS
>> selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
>> there.
>>
>> If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
>> recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
>> drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
>> drives > 137 MB.
>>
>> I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
>> LBA addressing - no change.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>I finally tracked down my solution on
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098
>
>I used partition magic to delete the partition created on my
>slip-streamed W2000/SP4 disk I created as part of my solution
>hunt. That
>seems to have done it.
>
>Bob

Yeah Bob... avoid using any 3rd party software fer partitioning new
HDD's... even Partition Magic can wreck havok. Glad to hear you found
the right info... as I too just got me a new Maxtor 200 gigger and
installed using w2k pro w/sp4 slipstreamed and it worked flawlessly!

Also, XP PRO/SP2 or greater would have done the trick too.
!