Windows XP Wireless Configuration Problems

Having trouble with Windows XP SP2 not finding wireless networks with the
Zero Configuration Service. The notebook in question is an Dell Inspirion
5100 with a Linksys WPC11 Version 4 Wireless card. Recently it stopped
finding any networks in the "View available networks" window. If I manually
enter an SSID and related info it will connect to the network, however the
configuration is not stored in the "Preferred Networks" list. Also under the
advanced tab of the network connection properties, where the Windows Firewall
settings would usually appear now gives a rather cryptic message about WMI
being corrupt and to return to a system restore point. Any suggestions?

Eric

Check if the Access Point is broadcasting the SSID.

"Eric Sambell" <EricSambell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having trouble with Windows XP SP2 not finding wireless networks with the
> Zero Configuration Service. The notebook in question is an Dell Inspirion
> 5100 with a Linksys WPC11 Version 4 Wireless card. Recently it stopped
> finding any networks in the "View available networks" window. If I
> manually
> enter an SSID and related info it will connect to the network, however the
> configuration is not stored in the "Preferred Networks" list. Also under
> the
> advanced tab of the network connection properties, where the Windows
> Firewall
> settings would usually appear now gives a rather cryptic message about WMI
> being corrupt and to return to a system restore point. Any suggestions?
>
> Eric

The router side of things appears to be fine, as the Linksys wireless
configuration tool finds it no problem. Also on another notebook sitting
right beside it everything works properly. Someone else had a similar problem
as a result of a policy setting, but this particular notebook is running XP
Home, so I don't think that is it. And even if it was, I'm under the
impression that you can't change user policies under XP Home.

Thnaks,

Eric Sambell

"news.sbcglobal.net" wrote:

> Check if the Access Point is broadcasting the SSID.
>
> "Eric Sambell" <EricSambell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Having trouble with Windows XP SP2 not finding wireless networks with the
> > Zero Configuration Service. The notebook in question is an Dell Inspirion
> > 5100 with a Linksys WPC11 Version 4 Wireless card. Recently it stopped
> > finding any networks in the "View available networks" window. If I
> > manually
> > enter an SSID and related info it will connect to the network, however the
> > configuration is not stored in the "Preferred Networks" list. Also under
> > the
> > advanced tab of the network connection properties, where the Windows
> > Firewall
> > settings would usually appear now gives a rather cryptic message about WMI
> > being corrupt and to return to a system restore point. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Eric

Got the WMI up and working again, but it didn't seem to solve the problem
unfortunatly.

Thanks,

Eric

"Eric Sambell" wrote:

> Having trouble with Windows XP SP2 not finding wireless networks with the
> Zero Configuration Service. The notebook in question is an Dell Inspirion
> 5100 with a Linksys WPC11 Version 4 Wireless card. Recently it stopped
> finding any networks in the "View available networks" window. If I manually
> enter an SSID and related info it will connect to the network, however the
> configuration is not stored in the "Preferred Networks" list. Also under the
> advanced tab of the network connection properties, where the Windows Firewall
> settings would usually appear now gives a rather cryptic message about WMI
> being corrupt and to return to a system restore point. Any suggestions?
>
> Eric

"Eric Sambell" <EricSambell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Also under the
> advanced tab of the network connection properties, where the Windows Firewall
> settings would usually appear now gives a rather cryptic message about WMI
> being corrupt and to return to a system restore point. Any suggestions?

A suggestion: why not to believe what the message says, and not try to repair WMI?
WMI unfortunately is fragile and can break. THere are some MS KB articles and self-help sites
that explain how to fix WMI (Kelly's Corner one of them)

--PA

> Got the WMI up and working again, but it didn't seem to solve the problem
> unfortunatly.

So the message about corrupt WMI does not appear any longer?
What are the symptoms now?

--PA

TRENDING THREADS