Need advice on what to do with "old" homebuilt pc

CW

Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have scavenged
some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
follows:

CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and firewire
ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS Windows ME COA
laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front USB ports to
connect and function properly with the new motherboard
Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
CPU = 700MHZ Duron
RAM = 196MB
VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at the moment)
HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
CDRW = HP 9500i
KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
NIC = Realtek 8029
MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
OS = Windows ME
SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition

The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter pc, or
internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college student. The
problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my money
back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth putting up for
bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it or barter
with it?

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in

> . The
> problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my
> money back to buy a nice video card.

If you celebrate the <pc>festive season</pc> you could give it as a present
and save some money you may otherwise have spent. Might have to dig up a
monitor from somewhere though!

--
Lordy

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:08:20 GMT, "CW"
<crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have scavenged
>some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
>follows:
>
>CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and firewire
>ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS Windows ME COA
>laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front USB ports to
>connect and function properly with the new motherboard
>Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
>CPU = 700MHZ Duron
>RAM = 196MB
>VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at the moment)
>HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
>CDRW = HP 9500i
>KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
>NIC = Realtek 8029
>MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
>OS = Windows ME
>SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition
>
>The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter pc, or
>internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college student. The
>problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my money
>back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth putting up for
>bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it or barter
>with it?

It's a buyers' market, but if the right buyer found you it
might sell for $135. Watch out for the OEM WinME license
though, it might be tied to the old motherboard, not the
case regardless that it's affixed to the case. Frankly the
most valuable part is Office 97, if it's a full license you
might ebay Office separate and install Open Office on that
box instead.

I doubt you can barter much with it, most people in a
position to barter aren't going to want it. Come to think
of it I could whip up a few systems like that out of spare
parts I have here and would love to trade them for video
cards worth $135, but don't think it's worthwhile, plus I
kinda need those parts for supporting former customers
should they need a quick/cheap fix someday.

ebay may not be kind to an older cobbled-together system
though, you might try advertising it in the local paper or
better still, put it up on a bulletin board at the local
colleges.

CW:

> genuine MS Windows ME COA laminated to back

If you put this on ebay, you will get emails asking if you have the
original disks. If you say no or don't answer, ebay will cancel your
auction. If you don't have the original disks, don't mention the license.

Compare it to equivalent systems on ebay, you can answer your own
question.
--
Mac Cool

CW

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:08:20 GMT, "CW"
> <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have
>>scavenged
>>some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
>>follows:
>>
>>CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and firewire
>>ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS Windows ME
>>COA
>>laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front USB ports to
>>connect and function properly with the new motherboard
>>Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
>>CPU = 700MHZ Duron
>>RAM = 196MB
>>VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at the moment)
>>HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
>>CDRW = HP 9500i
>>KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
>>NIC = Realtek 8029
>>MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
>>OS = Windows ME
>>SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition
>>
>>The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter pc, or
>>internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college student. The
>>problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my
>>money
>>back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth putting up
>>for
>>bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it or barter
>>with it?
>
> It's a buyers' market, but if the right buyer found you it
> might sell for $135. Watch out for the OEM WinME license
> though, it might be tied to the old motherboard, not the
> case regardless that it's affixed to the case. Frankly the
> most valuable part is Office 97, if it's a full license you
> might ebay Office separate and install Open Office on that
> box instead.

Wow! Great advice! I'm not sure what a "full license" is though. If by full
you mean not retail, but OEM, then I suspect the version I have is OEM as it
came with an old Gateway notebook computer I purchased several years back.
The notebook has since expired. But, don't I own the software?? And can't I
simply sell it if I desire to?

> I doubt you can barter much with it, most people in a
> position to barter aren't going to want it. Come to think
> of it I could whip up a few systems like that out of spare
> parts I have here and would love to trade them for video
> cards worth $135, but don't think it's worthwhile, plus I
> kinda need those parts for supporting former customers
> should they need a quick/cheap fix someday.
>
> ebay may not be kind to an older cobbled-together system
> though, you might try advertising it in the local paper or
> better still, put it up on a bulletin board at the local
> colleges.

The college bulletin board looks like a good idea as I live very close to 3
universities. Guess I just need to nose around on campus to locate the
boards, eh?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:30:23 GMT, "CW"
<crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Wow! Great advice! I'm not sure what a "full license" is though. If by full
>you mean not retail, but OEM, then I suspect the version I have is OEM as it
>came with an old Gateway notebook computer I purchased several years back.
>The notebook has since expired. But, don't I own the software?? And can't I
>simply sell it if I desire to?

A full license is not tied to, bundled with hardware.
Almost certainly it's not full from a GW NB. You'll have to
read the EULA to determine the restrictons.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

http://seattle.craigslist.org/ choose your city. But your price
may be high.

Bob

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I
have scavenged
> some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The
system is as
> follows:
>
> CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and
firewire
> ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS
Windows ME COA
> laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front
USB ports to
> connect and function properly with the new motherboard
> Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
> CPU = 700MHZ Duron
> RAM = 196MB
> VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at
the moment)
> HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
> CDRW = HP 9500i
> KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
> NIC = Realtek 8029
> MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
> OS = Windows ME
> SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition
>
> The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter
pc, or
> internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college
student. The
> problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to
get my money
> back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth
putting up for
> bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it
or barter
> with it?

Philo

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have
scavenged
> some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
> follows:
>
> CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and firewire
> ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS Windows ME
COA
> laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front USB ports to
> connect and function properly with the new motherboard
> Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
> CPU = 700MHZ Duron
> RAM = 196MB
> VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at the moment)
> HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
> CDRW = HP 9500i
> KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
> NIC = Realtek 8029
> MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
> OS = Windows ME
> SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition
>
> The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter pc, or
> internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college student. The
> problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my
money
> back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth putting up
for
> bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it or barter
> with it?

although it will only cost you a very small amount of money to put it on
ebay...
it's not likely you will get your $135 back

you may get $50 -$75 or
you may want to just sell it locally for whatever you can get

> Wow! Great advice! I'm not sure what a "full license" is though. If by
> full you mean not retail, but OEM, then I suspect the version I have is
> OEM as it came with an old Gateway notebook computer I purchased several
> years back. The notebook has since expired. But, don't I own the
> software?? And can't I simply sell it if I desire to?

Yes. You are really selling the license, so give the CD-KEY sticker to
whoever you wish to sell the license to. Also give them the CDROM. For all
intents and purposes, the CD-KEY is the license. The license, even if it is
OEM, is not tied to the hardware. 'OEM' and 'FULL' are essentially the same
but OEM licenses generally are purchased with a piece of hardware. 'OEM' and
'FULL' differ from 'UPGRADE' licenses in that they do not require ownership
of the previous version of the software. An 'OEM' or a 'FULL' license allows
installation of the software to a blank hard drive.

Paul

Splendid

Lordy wrote:
> "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>>. The
>>problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my
>>money back to buy a nice video card.
>
> If you celebrate the <pc>festive season</pc> you could give it as a present
> and save some money you may otherwise have spent. Might have to dig up a
> monitor from somewhere though!

Funny you should mention that. My Nephew is getting a 'new' PC (~900Mhz
P3) from me for Christmas this year! Still need to find a cheap hard
drive from somewhere though.

--
Paul

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote...
> Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have scavenged
> some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
> follows:
>
> CPU = 700MHZ Duron
> RAM = 196MB

Keep it, and set it up as a spare/data backup computer. While it's waiting
around to do those things, it can be "folding" proteins for scientific research
in the background. See http://folding.stanford.edu/ for information on the
Folding@home distributed computing project.

watch the dumpsters and pick up a working monitor.
cheap speakers can be had for $5.
With a "complete" system you could get $150 for it.

you'd sell it in a couple days with a newspaper ad.

Phisherman

I have a "free" computer that has been running for almost a year now.
I loaded text-based Linux on it and configured a caching proxy server
and firewall. Runs great for my Windows machines.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:08:20 GMT, "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Looking for opinions please! Over the past year and a half, I have scavenged
>some old pieces parts and come up with a complete PC. The system is as
>follows:
>
>CASE = Compaq Presario 7QSM11 with 250W PS, FD, front USB and firewire
>ports, misc. Compaq peripheral mounting hardware, genuine MS Windows ME COA
>laminated to back. I have made a special header for the front USB ports to
>connect and function properly with the new motherboard
>Motherboard = Lucky Star K7VAT (onboard AC' 97 Sound)
>CPU = 700MHZ Duron
>RAM = 196MB
>VIDEO = (either ATI Xpert 128, or Voodoo3 2000--undecided at the moment)
>HD = 8.4GB Maxtor
>CDRW = HP 9500i
>KEYBOARD = Compaq USB
>NIC = Realtek 8029
>MODEM = Rockwell Internal V.90 K56 Voice Modem
>OS = Windows ME
>SOFTWARE PKG= MS Office 97 Small Business Edition
>
>The system works great, and would make someone a nice starter pc, or
>internet surfing pc. It would also be ideal for a college student. The
>problem is, I now have almost $135 in it, and would now like to get my money
>back to buy a nice video card. Does anyone think it is worth putting up for
>bid on eBay? Any other suggestions on how I can either sell it or barter
>with it?

Hmmmm... I would try and post a small ad on my local newspapers where
is ususally a free AD if the item you are selling is under $250. Also,
depending where u live, there's also local sales magazines such as
"PennySaver", "The Flyer"... many many others outthere... like i said,
depeding where u live. U can use those mediums for selling your
junk... i mean, your goods.... LOL... no offense!