quick video card question...

I just tried to upgrade one of my systems. Currently it's a celeron 1700, in an
ECS P4VMM2 mb and I'm using the onboard video.
I tried fitting a decent video card. I can't see any jumper to disable the
onboard one, but I can turn it off in the bios, so I did.

Install the new one, and I hear the familiar beeeeeeeeeeeeep beep beep beep beep
of the bios, telling me that there's a video problem.

The new card is a galaxy 64MB tnt thing, and suspiciously it says 'defective' on
the esd bag. Although this might not be the original bag. I borrowed it from a
local dealer, with a view to buying it if it's good enough.

I suspect it's duff, but is there anythig else I might need. like a way to tell
the motherboard I'm using a plug-in video card?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard:
> Install the new one, and I hear the familiar beeeeeeeeeeeeep beep
> beep beep beep of the bios, telling me that there's a video problem.
>
> The new card is a galaxy 64MB tnt thing, and suspiciously it says
> 'defective' on the esd bag. Although this might not be the original
> bag. I borrowed it from a local dealer, with a view to buying it if
> it's good enough.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to unload a questionable card on you. I
would take it back and buy from somewhere else. The MX400 probably isn't
much better than your onboard video. What do you want from a new card?
--
Mac Cool

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:35:59 +0800, Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net>
wrote:

>The new card is a galaxy 64MB tnt thing

I should probably give a little more info about that. It's a Galaxy MX400 64MB,
http://www.gfe.com.hk/news/36/20041013185454.htm but it only has the vga
connector. AGP 2x/4x, and the mb is selecteble for 1x, 2x, and 4x. It doesn't
work on any of those.

I'm about to take it home and try it in my Asus A7V8X-X Athon 2400 system there,
which currently has a 128MB Geforce 4.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:24:56 +0800, Christopher Pollard
<rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:35:59 +0800, Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net>
>wrote:
>
>>The new card is a galaxy 64MB tnt thing
>
>I should probably give a little more info about that. It's a Galaxy MX400 64MB,
>http://www.gfe.com.hk/news/36/20041013185454.htm but it only has the vga
>connector. AGP 2x/4x, and the mb is selecteble for 1x, 2x, and 4x. It doesn't
>work on any of those.
>
>I'm about to take it home and try it in my Asus A7V8X-X Athon 2400 system there,
>which currently has a 128MB Geforce 4.

If it doesn't work in the A7V8X, you might find a PCI video
card, set the bios to use PCI as primary display, then
confirm it POSTS to the PCI card. Next, add the
questionable card but leave it set to PCI. Boot windows and
see if windows detects the MX400. If it does, try setting
it as a secondard display, see if moving the monitor to it
produces any output.

You might then try flashing the bios on the MX400.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:13:33 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>much better than your onboard video. What do you want from a new card?

64MB mainly, and I also gain 32MB of system RAM.
There's a new game, which I want to run, and the minimum spec is 64MB TNT
video. My systems won't run it.

However, for not much more I can get 128MB Geforce4.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:37:54 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>If it doesn't work in the A7V8X,

It didn't.

I then took my 128MB Geforce4 from the Athlon, and tried it here in the P4VMM2,
works perfectly, so I'm sure the card is defective.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:11:47 +0800, Christopher Pollard
<rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:37:54 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>If it doesn't work in the A7V8X,
>
>It didn't.
>
>I then took my 128MB Geforce4 from the Athlon, and tried it here in the P4VMM2,
>works perfectly, so I'm sure the card is defective.

Yes, but what i was suggesting was to use a PCI card so you
could leave the AGP card in and attempt to flash it's bios.
A mishandling of the card can cause EEPROM data loss which
flashing might, often will recover from. That's not to
suggest it's the likely problem, only one that would be easy
enough to recover from after finding suitable bios.