can mobo run unsupported cpus in underclock mode?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

hi all

i have a three-year-old kr7a abit mobo, and it's time to give it some
upgrade. i want to drop an athlonxp 2400 into it, but i'm not sure what
will happen?

the mobo only support up to athlonxp 2200, but the athlonxp 2400 is only
one step ahead and is exactly the same thoroughbred core. so there's no
different voltages to worry about.

the athlonxp 2400 is locked and will run at x15, regardless of what the
bios says. however, the bios only supports up to x13.5. do you know what
will happen then?

why push the envelope? the mobo is already three years old and may die at
any time. if it dies, i will get a new mobo that supports athlonxp 2400.

thank you for your replies
4 answers Last reply
More about mobo unsupported cpus underclock mode
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sharon wrote:

    > hi all
    >
    > i have a three-year-old kr7a abit mobo, and it's time to give it some
    > upgrade. i want to drop an athlonxp 2400 into it, but i'm not sure what
    > will happen?
    >
    > the mobo only support up to athlonxp 2200, but the athlonxp 2400 is only
    > one step ahead and is exactly the same thoroughbred core. so there's no
    > different voltages to worry about.
    >
    > the athlonxp 2400 is locked and will run at x15, regardless of what the
    > bios says. however, the bios only supports up to x13.5. do you know what
    > will happen then?
    >
    > why push the envelope? the mobo is already three years old and may die at
    > any time. if it dies, i will get a new mobo that supports athlonxp 2400.
    >
    > thank you for your replies

    It's really hard to say. Some boards just won't boot up because the
    BIOS won't be able to recognize the CPU. Others will run, but if the
    FSB is lower that that stated for the CPU, the CPU will run at the fixed
    multiple of the board FSB; 266 MHz x 15 instead of 400 MHz x 15, or 266
    MHz x13.5 - maybe.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sharon wrote:

    > why push the envelope? the mobo is already three years old and may die at
    > any time. if it dies, i will get a new mobo that supports athlonxp 2400.

    Do you take into consideration that a dieing mainboard may take the
    CPU with it into hell?!

    Roy
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sharon wrote:

    > hi all
    >
    > i have a three-year-old kr7a abit mobo, and it's time to give it some
    > upgrade. i want to drop an athlonxp 2400 into it, but i'm not sure what
    > will happen?
    >
    > the mobo only support up to athlonxp 2200, but the athlonxp 2400 is only
    > one step ahead and is exactly the same thoroughbred core. so there's no
    > different voltages to worry about.
    >
    > the athlonxp 2400 is locked and will run at x15, regardless of what the
    > bios says. however, the bios only supports up to x13.5. do you know what
    > will happen then?
    >
    > why push the envelope? the mobo is already three years old and may die at
    > any time. if it dies, i will get a new mobo that supports athlonxp 2400.
    >
    > thank you for your replies

    Honestly, if your motherboard is on its last legs, as you say, then just go
    ahead and replace them both. Why pull off the HSF and replace the CPU now,
    then have to go back in later and pull it all out and start over. Just bite
    the bullet now and get it over with.

    As far as support, if the motherboard only supports x13.5, I doubt it will
    run the 2400+ at its native speed. Maybe unlock it and run it slower?

    Honestly, I'd just go ahead and replace everything. And, if you're going to
    do that, just go with a Athlon 64 setup of some kind. But, a nice Barton
    core XP would run nice and fast on a budget.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sharon wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i have a three-year-old kr7a abit mobo, and it's time to give it some
    > upgrade. i want to drop an athlonxp 2400 into it, but i'm not sure
    > what will happen?
    >
    > the mobo only support up to athlonxp 2200, but the athlonxp 2400 is
    > only one step ahead and is exactly the same thoroughbred core. so
    > there's no different voltages to worry about.
    >
    > the athlonxp 2400 is locked and will run at x15, regardless of what
    > the bios says. however, the bios only supports up to x13.5. do you
    > know what will happen then?
    >
    > why push the envelope? the mobo is already three years old and may
    > die at any time. if it dies, i will get a new mobo that supports
    > athlonxp 2400.
    >
    > thank you for your replies

    Wouldn't a better option be to put in a 2200. You'll barely notice a
    difference from the 2400, but it will definitely work.

    Regards

    Martin

Homebuilt Hardware Systems