Newbie sound question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 22, 2005 2:05:24 AM

Sorry if this is a silly question as I have found some posts on it from
years ago....but I just couldn't make much sense of it all!

I have built a mame cabinet and have just about got it perfect...but the
sound crackles on most games and sometimes overruns or doesn't play all of
the sounds (notice the lack of sounds in Gyruss especially). My system
(which is dedicated and runs nothing in the background) is as follows:

Pentium IV 3.2ghz
512mb DDR-2 RAM
PCI-e radeon x300 (I think) videocard
40Gb SCSI HDD
Standard soundcard on motherboard

I have tried altering the sound settings in mame (sample rate etc) and while
that helped a little, the improvement was only slight.

Ok, so I fugure that I probably need to change the soundcard (correct me if
I am wrong) and I saw in some previous postings that the Soundblaster Live
was the recommended option (back in 2001/2002), I am happy to upgrade the
card and would just like to know what I have to do to get the best possible
sound as the rest of the machine runs perfectly.

Thanks for any help!

Jamie

More about : newbie sound question

July 22, 2005 2:05:25 AM

Praetorian wrote:

Snipped

> Ok, so I fugure that I probably need to change the soundcard (correct me if
> I am wrong) and I saw in some previous postings that the Soundblaster Live
> was the recommended option (back in 2001/2002), I am happy to upgrade the
> card and would just like to know what I have to do to get the best possible
> sound as the rest of the machine runs perfectly.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Jamie

Hi Jamie,
The soundcard that you have at the moment, is it an 'on board' one or a
cheap PCi card? If it is a cheap PCI card, try moving it to another
slot, away from the graphics card. I had this same issue with my home
PC (not a cab) but it was solved the same way. If the card is on board
then go into the BIOS and turn off any expansions/extra's you are not
using, like LAN for example, and reset the board.

Good luck

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:05:24 +1200, Praetorian said to the parser:

> [snip]
> Pentium IV 3.2ghz
> 512mb DDR-2 RAM
> PCI-e radeon x300 (I think) videocard 40Gb SCSI HDD
> Standard soundcard on motherboard
>
> I have tried altering the sound settings in mame (sample rate etc) and
> while that helped a little, the improvement was only slight.

My experience with on-board AC97 soundcards is that even with a fast CPU,
the cards seem to take an unreasonable amount of CPU cycles.

I saw the same thing when I upgraded to an Athlon XP 2900 recently. I
bought a motherboard with onboard sound ("I'm saving money! No need to
buy another soundcard!") and I've ended up sticking the SB Live from my
old machine into it instead, because the performance of the on-board was
so poor. Audio crackling and sluggish video performance while playing
Morrowind. Stuck in the SB Live and things are much better now.

--
Michael Coyne

http://turthalion.blogspot.com
!