The Evil Router

ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Okay, well this is my first time to ever set up a network, and I'm having
some trouble. I'll just tell you what I have gotten done right (well at least
what I think I've done right) and then you can help me the rest of the way
PLEASE!!!

Well I installed the software and I'm pretty sure the hardware for my
router, but for some reason I don't think it's sending out a signal...and I
can't figure out why!

I want to recieve the signal on my laptop...I installed the software for the
card, and the actual card on the laptop...and that part seems to be working
fine...

Anyway...if anyone wants to help me... I would be really greatfull! For all
eternity...

It would be great if you could email me...(madhatter_5@hotmail.com) And, if
you think it's best, you can have remote assistance...because I'm lost...lost
like a drunken hobo on a saturday night...

THANKS!!!
Ashley

jml

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005

Ashley,

I just went thorugh this with my D-Link wireless router. I had to call
D-link and get them to walk me thorugh the process of adding an IP address on
my laptop. For some reason my laptop computer could not receive the IP
address from the router. In my case, I also had to disconnect the USB cable
that connected my cable modem to the back of my computer. The cable modem
had to be connected with an ethernet cable to the router and the router had
to be connected with another ethernet cable to the back of my desktop
computer in order for the wireless router to work. If your modem and your
router are connected properly chances are the laptop computer does not have
the proper IP address. This is accomplished by going to My Computer then
Network Connections. Right click on the Wireless Connection and choose
Properties. You will see a window with Client for Microsoft Network and File
and Printer Sharing and finally Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Highlight
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. If there are no addresses
in this area on your laptop this is your problem, and only your Wireless
Router manufacturer can help you.

JML

"Ashley" wrote:

> Okay, well this is my first time to ever set up a network, and I'm having
> some trouble. I'll just tell you what I have gotten done right (well at least
> what I think I've done right) and then you can help me the rest of the way
> PLEASE!!!
>
> Well I installed the software and I'm pretty sure the hardware for my
> router, but for some reason I don't think it's sending out a signal...and I
> can't figure out why!
>
> I want to recieve the signal on my laptop...I installed the software for the
> card, and the actual card on the laptop...and that part seems to be working
> fine...
>
> Anyway...if anyone wants to help me... I would be really greatfull! For all
> eternity...
>
> It would be great if you could email me...(madhatter_5@hotmail.com) And, if
> you think it's best, you can have remote assistance...because I'm lost...lost
> like a drunken hobo on a saturday night...
>
> THANKS!!!
> Ashley

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

There are also quite a few "how tos" on the Linksys site. It may not be
your router, but the principals are close. They even have pictures! ;-)

I would ask you, though, do you know where to look for the signal strength
your laptop is receiving. Which OS are you using? Do you know how to use
the Ping command, or ipconfig /all?

Do you know if you have any security turned on, like WEP?

Clark

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> There are also quite a few "how tos" on the Linksys site. It may not be
> your router, but the principals are close. They even have pictures! ;-)
>
> I would ask you, though, do you know where to look for the signal strength
> your laptop is receiving. Which OS are you using? Do you know how to use
> the Ping command, or ipconfig /all?
>
> Do you know if you have any security turned on, like WEP?
>
> Clark

rod

The other day I was sitting in the living room with my laptop and everything
was working just fine. Later that evening, I booted up my laptop and I wasn't
getting any sign of any networks available, especially mine. Apparently when
I was shutting down my laptop (the first time) I had flipped a little switch
on the side which turned off my wireless capabilities. When I finally
realized that, I flipped it back on and was able to see my network
broadcasting and connected with no problem.