athlon xp to sempron

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

I have a MSI KT3 Ultra(MS-6380) Mainboard that can support up to an athlon
xp 2600+ chip.
I have at the moment a athlon xp 1400+ chip and want to upgrade, can I use
the new sempron 2600+ chip on the mainboard?. or do I have to stick to the
XP chip.

Thanks
Brendan

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:06:20 +0100, "san"
<curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a MSI KT3 Ultra(MS-6380) Mainboard that can support up to an athlon
>xp 2600+ chip.
>I have at the moment a athlon xp 1400+ chip and want to upgrade, can I use
>the new sempron 2600+ chip on the mainboard?. or do I have to stick to the
>XP chip.
>
>Thanks
>Brendan

"Have to"?
Athlon is better per same "XP(nnnn)" rating compared to
Sempron.

Because your board is KT266 based, it will not support
Sempron or any other 166MHz (DDR333) FSB CPUs. Because it
doesn't have PCI lock feature for it's Via chipset, you're
pretty limited, staying under 150MHz FSB is a good idea,
staying near 133MHz (not overclocked) is an even better
idea. You could probably run a Sempron but it'd be
underclocked.

With that in mind your choices would be Athlon XP2400 or
lower, or possibly a Mobile Athlon (which retains DDR266
FSB) in the XP2400-2600 range. However you'd have to
manually set it's multiplier higher in the bios, perhaps
from 6X increased to 12.5X, which on a 133MHz/DDR266 FSB
will only result in 1.7GHz, barely better than an XP2100.
The mobile Barton is likely not officially supported, you
might seek fellow users of that board who have tried one
before presuming it will work, as some MSI boards had an odd
bug where they wouldnt' run any Athlon newer than Palomino
core, up to XP2100.

There ARE hacks to get a higher multiplier (assuming the
board would support it) but if high performance is the goal
you ought to consider replacing the motherboard too.

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

These are from my local store as you can see it says the
athlon xp 2600+ has a FSB OF 333Mhz, I know when I bought the mainboard it
did`t support a xp2600+, but with the new bios I flashed onto the pc it now
supports a xp2600+ chip does this mean the FSB is now 333Mhz ?.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Tray
2,075ghz, 512kB cache, Socket A, FSB333,

AMD Athlon XP Prozessor 2600+ (1,917 GHz) Tray, Sockel A, FSB 333, 462 pin

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 333MHz, Sockel A Barton

Thanks
Brendan
"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:06:20 +0100, "san"
> <curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a MSI KT3 Ultra(MS-6380) Mainboard that can support up to an
>>athlon
>>xp 2600+ chip.
>>I have at the moment a athlon xp 1400+ chip and want to upgrade, can I use
>>the new sempron 2600+ chip on the mainboard?. or do I have to stick to the
>>XP chip.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Brendan
>>

> "Have to"?
> Athlon is better per same "XP(nnnn)" rating compared to
> Sempron.
>
> Because your board is KT266 based, it will not support
> Sempron or any other 166MHz (DDR333) FSB CPUs. Because it
> doesn't have PCI lock feature for it's Via chipset, you're
> pretty limited, staying under 150MHz FSB is a good idea,
> staying near 133MHz (not overclocked) is an even better
> idea. You could probably run a Sempron but it'd be
> underclocked.
>
> With that in mind your choices would be Athlon XP2400 or
> lower, or possibly a Mobile Athlon (which retains DDR266
> FSB) in the XP2400-2600 range. However you'd have to
> manually set it's multiplier higher in the bios, perhaps
> from 6X increased to 12.5X, which on a 133MHz/DDR266 FSB
> will only result in 1.7GHz, barely better than an XP2100.
> The mobile Barton is likely not officially supported, you
> might seek fellow users of that board who have tried one
> before presuming it will work, as some MSI boards had an odd
> bug where they wouldnt' run any Athlon newer than Palomino
> core, up to XP2100.
>
> There ARE hacks to get a higher multiplier (assuming the
> board would support it) but if high performance is the goal
> you ought to consider replacing the motherboard too.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:07:54 +0100, "san"
<curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>These are from my local store as you can see it says the
>athlon xp 2600+ has a FSB OF 333Mhz, I know when I bought the mainboard it
>did`t support a xp2600+, but with the new bios I flashed onto the pc it now
>supports a xp2600+ chip does this mean the FSB is now 333Mhz ?.
>
>AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Tray
>2,075ghz, 512kB cache, Socket A, FSB333,
>
>AMD Athlon XP Prozessor 2600+ (1,917 GHz) Tray, Sockel A, FSB 333, 462 pin
>
>CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 333MHz, Sockel A Barton

Are you certain you were reading the spec for the correct
board? Are you sure yours is the MS-6380?

6380 appears to be KT266, doesn't support ANY CPU with
DDDR333 FSB.
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=90

AFAIK, Athlon 2600 are all using DDR333 FSB. I might be
wrong about that though, is there one with DDR266 FSB?

kony wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:07:54 +0100, "san"
> <curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >These are from my local store as you can see it says the
> >athlon xp 2600+ has a FSB OF 333Mhz, I know when I bought the mainboard it
> >did`t support a xp2600+, but with the new bios I flashed onto the pc it now
> >supports a xp2600+ chip does this mean the FSB is now 333Mhz ?.
> >
> >AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Tray
> >2,075ghz, 512kB cache, Socket A, FSB333,
> >
> >AMD Athlon XP Prozessor 2600+ (1,917 GHz) Tray, Sockel A, FSB 333, 462 pin
> >
> >CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 333MHz, Sockel A Barton
> >

> Are you certain you were reading the spec for the correct
> board? Are you sure yours is the MS-6380?
>
> 6380 appears to be KT266, doesn't support ANY CPU with
> DDDR333 FSB.
> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=90
>
> AFAIK, Athlon 2600 are all using DDR333 FSB. I might be
> wrong about that though, is there one with DDR266 FSB?

There's more than one version. There is one with 266 fsb.

Bryan

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:30:39 -0500, Bryan Hoover
<bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:

>kony wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:07:54 +0100, "san"
>> <curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >These are from my local store as you can see it says the
>> >athlon xp 2600+ has a FSB OF 333Mhz, I know when I bought the mainboard it
>> >did`t support a xp2600+, but with the new bios I flashed onto the pc it now
>> >supports a xp2600+ chip does this mean the FSB is now 333Mhz ?.
>> >
>> >AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Tray
>> >2,075ghz, 512kB cache, Socket A, FSB333,
>> >
>> >AMD Athlon XP Prozessor 2600+ (1,917 GHz) Tray, Sockel A, FSB 333, 462 pin
>> >
>> >CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 333MHz, Sockel A Barton
>> >

>> Are you certain you were reading the spec for the correct
>> board? Are you sure yours is the MS-6380?
>>
>> 6380 appears to be KT266, doesn't support ANY CPU with
>> DDDR333 FSB.
>> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=90
>>
>> AFAIK, Athlon 2600 are all using DDR333 FSB. I might be
>> wrong about that though, is there one with DDR266 FSB?
>
>There's more than one version. There is one with 266 fsb.
>
>Bryan

yes there's more than one version, but are ANY of them
supportive of higher than DDR266 FSB? None of them are if
they use KT266/A chipset.

kony wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:30:39 -0500, Bryan Hoover
> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:
>
> >kony wrote:

> >> Are you certain you were reading the spec for the correct
> >> board? Are you sure yours is the MS-6380?
> >>
> >> 6380 appears to be KT266, doesn't support ANY CPU with
> >> DDDR333 FSB.
> >> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=90
> >>
> >> AFAIK, Athlon 2600 are all using DDR333 FSB. I might be
> >> wrong about that though, is there one with DDR266 FSB?
> >
> >There's more than one version. There is one with 266 fsb.
> >
> >Bryan
>
> yes there's more than one version, but are ANY of them
> supportive of higher than DDR266 FSB? None of them are if
> they use KT266/A chipset.

The fsb's are 166 (Barton core only), and 133.

Bryan

Bryan Hoover wrote:

> kony wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:30:39 -0500, Bryan Hoover
> > <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:

> > >There's more than one version. There is one with 266 fsb.
> > >
> > >Bryan
> >
> > yes there's more than one version, but are ANY of them
> > supportive of higher than DDR266 FSB? None of them are if
> > they use KT266/A chipset.
>
> The fsb's are 166 (Barton core only), and 133.

That is, the Barton does not run at 133. Thoroughbred runs at both.

Bryan

> Bryan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:52:57 -0500, Bryan Hoover
<bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:

>Bryan Hoover wrote:
>
>> kony wrote:

>> > yes there's more than one version, but are ANY of them
>> > supportive of higher than DDR266 FSB? None of them are if
>> > they use KT266/A chipset.
>>
>> The fsb's are 166 (Barton core only), and 133.
>
>That is, the Barton does not run at 133. Thoroughbred runs at both.

You might be confusing DDR with MHz terms.
KT266/A uses 133MHz clocked double data rate bus, same thing
as DDR266. One can try to overclock it, might then get
about 155MHz out of it before the PCI, ethernet/HDDs, & USB
start failing, but generally KT266/A is best left pretty
near DDR266.

Then comparing to Barton, it's 166 clocked bus but DDR333.
Even KT333 didn't officially support a Barton (or any other
DDR333/400 FSB CPU), KT400 was the first Via northbridge to
do so... and even it was deceptively named, it officially
supported 400MHz memory in some configs but not DDR400 FSB
CPUs.

The remaining question is whether there was any 6380 board
that used Via northbridge newer than KT266A. KT333 can be
o'c to run a Barton or Sempron @ DDR333, but much beyond
that and the AGP bus starts giving some video cards grief.

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

I Got this from the front of the mainboard:
KT3 Ultra MS 6380E
and this is from the MSI site:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=11&kind=1
I guess the chip has two different FSB`s I`ll try to find the one with a
133/266 FSB if it`s worth my while?.

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:52:57 -0500, Bryan Hoover
> <bhoover@wecs.com> wrote:
>
>>Bryan Hoover wrote:

>>> The fsb's are 166 (Barton core only), and 133.
>>
>>That is, the Barton does not run at 133. Thoroughbred runs at both.
>>

> You might be confusing DDR with MHz terms.
> KT266/A uses 133MHz clocked double data rate bus, same thing
> as DDR266. One can try to overclock it, might then get
> about 155MHz out of it before the PCI, ethernet/HDDs, & USB
> start failing, but generally KT266/A is best left pretty
> near DDR266.
>
> Then comparing to Barton, it's 166 clocked bus but DDR333.
> Even KT333 didn't officially support a Barton (or any other
> DDR333/400 FSB CPU), KT400 was the first Via northbridge to
> do so... and even it was deceptively named, it officially
> supported 400MHz memory in some configs but not DDR400 FSB
> CPUs.
>
> The remaining question is whether there was any 6380 board
> that used Via northbridge newer than KT266A. KT333 can be
> o'c to run a Barton or Sempron @ DDR333, but much beyond
> that and the AGP bus starts giving some video cards grief.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:53:00 +0100, "san"
<curdy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I Got this from the front of the mainboard:
>KT3 Ultra MS 6380E
>and this is from the MSI site:
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=11&kind=1
>I guess the chip has two different FSB`s I`ll try to find the one with a
>133/266 FSB if it`s worth my while?.

Their list does show an XP2600 with only 133MHz/DDR266 FSB.
It would be only a slight performance increase over an
XP2400, probably not enough of an increase to make it worth
the cost difference and time spent, difficulty finding these
more rare XP2600 with the slower FSB. Generally the fastest
CPU a given platform will run is disproportionately higher
priced, though now with Athlon 64 displacing Athlon XP the
prices are varying quite a bit more than they used to.

I wouldn't spend the time hunting down that XP2600, but then
again I'd probably upgrade the motherboard first, if not
both the motherboard and CPU to Athlon 64, as you'd not only
be gaining more performance but several other newer
technologies now nearly standard on motherboards [newer than
your present board].