XP SP2 install hang - Clevo 2700T laptop - suggestions?

Hi,
I am endeavouring to load XP-Pro SP2 to the 2700T machine (10GB
Hitachi HDD badged as an Excel Notebook-128MB SDRAm PC100) as a Xmas
'gift' upgrade.
System hangs when installing from CD.
Ran <winnt.exe> from ..//I386 when mounted on D:\ and problem is
repeated with resultant system hang at no
particular stage (erratic).
Increased RAM to 256MB and CD install is
now possible but hangs at "Saving Settings" stage. Sometimes at "9
minutes to go" but most often at "<2 minutes to go"..piss you orf eh?
The RAM sticks have been tested in another machine and report/work
fine.
The CD bay has always been "dicky" but the 'stall' fault is not
consistent and also occurs when installing from HDD copy of ..//I386
so whilst the CD bay is maybe suspect per se , I should discount it as
the culprit?

Hey! its Xmas..drag the brain cells over here;->

The machine is here:
http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/2200t.asp

thanks

SIB4

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:21:16 +0930, seenIT-B4
<seenIT-B4@somuch.2.do> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am endeavouring to load XP-Pro SP2 to the 2700T machine (10GB
>Hitachi HDD badged as an Excel Notebook-128MB SDRAm PC100) as a Xmas
>'gift' upgrade.
>System hangs when installing from CD.
>Ran <winnt.exe> from ..//I386 when mounted on D:\ and problem is
>repeated with resultant system hang at no
>particular stage (erratic).
>Increased RAM to 256MB and CD install is
>now possible but hangs at "Saving Settings" stage. Sometimes at "9
>minutes to go" but most often at "<2 minutes to go"..piss you orf eh?
>The RAM sticks have been tested in another machine and report/work
>fine.
>The CD bay has always been "dicky" but the 'stall' fault is not
>consistent and also occurs when installing from HDD copy of ..//I386
>so whilst the CD bay is maybe suspect per se , I should discount it as
>the culprit?
>

>Hey! its Xmas..drag the brain cells over here;->
>
>The machine is here:
>http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/2200t.asp
>
>thanks
>
>SIB4

That the memory was tested in another machine is no
assurance it is stable in THAT machine. Run this for a few
hours:
http://www.memtest86.com

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:35:42 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:21:16 +0930, seenIT-B4
><seenIT-B4@somuch.2.do> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I am endeavouring to load XP-Pro SP2 to the 2700T machine (10GB
>>Hitachi HDD badged as an Excel Notebook-128MB SDRAm PC100) as a Xmas
>>'gift' upgrade.
>>System hangs when installing from CD.
>>Ran <winnt.exe> from ..//I386 when mounted on D:\ and problem is
>>repeated with resultant system hang at no
>>particular stage (erratic).
>>Increased RAM to 256MB and CD install is
>>now possible but hangs at "Saving Settings" stage. Sometimes at "9
>>minutes to go" but most often at "<2 minutes to go"..piss you orf eh?
>>The RAM sticks have been tested in another machine and report/work
>>fine.
>>The CD bay has always been "dicky" but the 'stall' fault is not
>>consistent and also occurs when installing from HDD copy of ..//I386
>>so whilst the CD bay is maybe suspect per se , I should discount it as
>>the culprit?
>>

>>Hey! its Xmas..drag the brain cells over here;->
>>
>>The machine is here:
>>http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/2200t.asp
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>SIB4
>

>That the memory was tested in another machine is no
>assurance it is stable in THAT machine. Run this for a few
>hours:
>http://www.memtest86.com

Thanks for that. handy doodad that one :)
I sorta solved the problem<g>

The "fault" is down to Clevo..WHO are not at all helpful with
anything. Refuse to answer any probing question, at all.
Seems Clevo pulls a fast one with some setups?
This machine is overclocked at Factory settings and maybe runs fine in
its delivered format. But try giving the machine more work than that
0r run a ram hungry setup in ambient conditions that are >30deg
Celsius and you have this intermittent "stall" problem.
The fix was to return the machine to "Factory Setup" and sell it.

Hope it helps someone.

SIB4

amanamen

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
True, enough (that a Clevo system; or what the hell it calls itself these days suck-ass), it's not the memory module that is at fault, it is the damned slots. I've gone to 2 Clevo systems with the same problem; they are damned sub-standard machines from south-east asia. And now, I have to explain hell to my clients that they bought a machine that's basically junk after a few months' use.

My Opinion: *** them, and their inevitable downfall would be the least of my prayers. I hope the manufacturers and retailers from these a-hole company burn in hell.

TRENDING THREADS