Power Cables Question

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 1:26:16 AM

Hi,

I'm a bit paranoid. I have a 350W power supply, used to power a P4 2.4GHz
on 865PE based mobo, a DVDROM, a CDRW, 2 HDD and a 3.5" FDD. The power
supply have 5 sets of output cables in this cofiguration:
1 set for ATX power (20 pin header)
1 set for ATX +12V (4 pin header)
1 set for legacy mobo power (remnants from AT days)
2 set for general peripheral (i.e. HDD power)

The general peripheral set have the following headers and current usage:
1 set have 2 output headers (used for both HDD)
1 set have 2 output headers plus one for FDD power (used DVDROM, CDRW and
FDD)

I recently added a casing fan, with power header matching the general
purpose headers. I suppose I have to use splitter cables (Y-Cables) on
one of the headers which belongs to one of the aforementioned sets. So,
to which set do I connect it to (the set for both HDD or the one for
DVD/CDRW/FDD) to ensure power stability (prolong the lifetime of the
attached peripherals, in terms of power)?

PS: The mobo supports 1 additional system fan with 3 pin power header.
Strangely, I couldn't find any local dealers who carries such fans with
matching power input headers. They only carry those with general purpose
input headers. I have difficulties with buying online, not to mention the
shipment fees will outweigh the fan's price.

TIA

More about : power cables question

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 9:09:39 AM

> I'm a bit paranoid. I have a 350W power supply, used to power a P4 2.4GHz
> on 865PE based mobo, a DVDROM, a CDRW, 2 HDD and a 3.5" FDD. The power
> supply have 5 sets of output cables in this cofiguration:
> 1 set for ATX power (20 pin header)
> 1 set for ATX +12V (4 pin header)
> 1 set for legacy mobo power (remnants from AT days)
> 2 set for general peripheral (i.e. HDD power)
>
> The general peripheral set have the following headers and current usage:
> 1 set have 2 output headers (used for both HDD)
> 1 set have 2 output headers plus one for FDD power (used DVDROM, CDRW and
> FDD)
>
> I recently added a casing fan, with power header matching the general
> purpose headers. I suppose I have to use splitter cables (Y-Cables) on
> one of the headers which belongs to one of the aforementioned sets. So,
> to which set do I connect it to (the set for both HDD or the one for
> DVD/CDRW/FDD) to ensure power stability (prolong the lifetime of the
> attached peripherals, in terms of power)?

It does not mater where you hook the Y. All wires of the same voltage go
together in the same place in the power supply.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 8:40:32 PM

On 24 Dec 2004 22:26:16 GMT, Ricky Romaya
<something@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm a bit paranoid. I have a 350W power supply, used to power a P4 2.4GHz
>on 865PE based mobo, a DVDROM, a CDRW, 2 HDD and a 3.5" FDD. The power
>supply have 5 sets of output cables in this cofiguration:
>1 set for ATX power (20 pin header)
>1 set for ATX +12V (4 pin header)
>1 set for legacy mobo power (remnants from AT days)
>2 set for general peripheral (i.e. HDD power)
>
>The general peripheral set have the following headers and current usage:
>1 set have 2 output headers (used for both HDD)
>1 set have 2 output headers plus one for FDD power (used DVDROM, CDRW and
>FDD)
>
>I recently added a casing fan, with power header matching the general
>purpose headers. I suppose I have to use splitter cables (Y-Cables) on
>one of the headers which belongs to one of the aforementioned sets. So,
>to which set do I connect it to (the set for both HDD or the one for
>DVD/CDRW/FDD) to ensure power stability (prolong the lifetime of the
>attached peripherals, in terms of power)?
>
>PS: The mobo supports 1 additional system fan with 3 pin power header.
>Strangely, I couldn't find any local dealers who carries such fans with
>matching power input headers. They only carry those with general purpose
>input headers. I have difficulties with buying online, not to mention the
>shipment fees will outweigh the fan's price.
>
>TIA

Most decent 350W power supplies have more than 2 leads, you
might assess the overall quality of the supply before adding
additional load, though a fan is a VERY light load,
shouldn't be significant enough to change whatever the
current status of the system is.

As Ralph Mowrey mentioned, you can attach the splitter
anywhere, though I'd probably choose to put it on the
optical drives just in case the contacts aren't the
greatest, it'd be better to have intermittent power to an
optical drive than a HDD due to continuously corruptable
storage on the latter.
!