Trying to use Seagate ATA100 ST3160023A as an external USB..

Hi,

I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
Firewire drive.

For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
appears to be working fine:
_ LEDs glow as usual
_ no extra/weird noise
_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
as both, a USB or Firewire device
_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
device

I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail

What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
Seagate drive?

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:43:09 -0500 (EST), Albretch
<lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
>drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
>Firewire drive.
>
> For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
>a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
>appears to be working fine:
>_ LEDs glow as usual
>_ no extra/weird noise
>_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
>as both, a USB or Firewire device
>_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
>device
>
> I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail
>
> What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
>Seagate drive?

Did you partition and format it?

It won't show up there until you've partitioned and formatted it.
Start -> Run diskmgmt.msc
Is it in the lower left panel? If so, RClick and prtition, then format it.
Remeber that under XP, you can't format a prtition to FAT32 if it's bigger
than 32GB . If you're to use that drive under another OS like DOS/Win9x ,
Linux or Mac, you have to the aforementioned under eithr of them.....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Albretch" <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä

Hi,

I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
Firewire drive.

For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
a new drive when you click on 'My Computer', it
appears to be working fine:
.._ LEDs glow as usual
.._ no extra/weird noise
.._ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
as both, a USB or Firewire device
.._ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
device

I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail

What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
Seagate drive?

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

<lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
>drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
>Firewire drive.
>
> For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
>a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
>appears to be working fine:
>_ LEDs glow as usual
>_ no extra/weird noise
>_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
>as both, a USB or Firewire device
>_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
>device
>
> I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail
>
> What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
>Seagate drive?

You didn't say what version of windows you're using.
Also have you tried over at www.sysopt.com ?
There are loads of experts their willing to give you the benefit of
their training and experience.
I use them when I bump up against a problem I can't solve.