Trying to use Seagate ATA100 ST3160023A as an external USB..

Hi,

I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
Firewire drive.

For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
appears to be working fine:
_ LEDs glow as usual
_ no extra/weird noise
_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
as both, a USB or Firewire device
_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
device

I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail

What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
Seagate drive?
3 answers Last reply
More about trying seagate ata100 st3160023a external

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:43:09 -0500 (EST), Albretch
    <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
    >drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
    >Firewire drive.
    >
    > For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
    >a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
    >appears to be working fine:
    >_ LEDs glow as usual
    >_ no extra/weird noise
    >_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
    >as both, a USB or Firewire device
    >_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
    >device
    >
    > I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail
    >
    > What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
    >Seagate drive?

    Did you partition and format it?

    It won't show up there until you've partitioned and formatted it.
    Start -> Run diskmgmt.msc
    Is it in the lower left panel? If so, RClick and prtition, then format it.
    Remeber that under XP, you can't format a prtition to FAT32 if it's bigger
    than 32GB . If you're to use that drive under another OS like DOS/Win9x ,
    Linux or Mac, you have to the aforementioned under eithr of them.....

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A
    >drive, which I am trying to use as an external USB or
    >Firewire drive.
    >
    > For some reason, even if Windows does not show it as
    >a new drive when you click on ‘My Computer’, it
    >appears to be working fine:
    >_ LEDs glow as usual
    >_ no extra/weird noise
    >_ you see the little green arrow when you attach it
    >as both, a USB or Firewire device
    >_ you go through the normal procedures to detach the
    >device
    >
    > I have tried two USB/Firewire encasings to no avail
    >
    > What should I do to make Windows swallow and show my
    >Seagate drive?

    You didn't say what version of windows you're using.
    Also have you tried over at www.sysopt.com ?
    There are loads of experts their willing to give you the benefit of
    their training and experience.
    I use them when I bump up against a problem I can't solve.

Homebuilt Seagate Firewire External USB Systems