Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see any
performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
upgrade later on.
thanks

SEB

"Robert" <robertbailey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see any
> performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
> upgrade later on.
> thanks

The 3200 with the 400Mhz FSB is much faster, you will notice the
difference...
Wy not just buy a 64bit now instead of later, if you only have a 2100, didnt
even know they had that model... i'm sure you'd have to buy a new
motherboard to support the 3200+ so it wont cost you a terrible amount more.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:23:36 GMT, "Robert"
<robertbailey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see any
>performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
>upgrade later on.
>thanks

Yes there'll be gains but it depends on the (most demanding)
uses how much you'd benefit. Same goes for the Athlon 64
instead of the XP3200 Barton too, though.

I'd not buy an XP3200 Barton today, either:

- XP2500 Barton, then overclock it.

- Athlon 64 plus new motherboard

- Wait for more nForce4 motherboard options for Athlon 64

Robert wrote:

> currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see any
> performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
> upgrade later on.

Does your motherboard even support the 3200+? Can it do the 400 MHz FSB? It
might by overclocking, but can it handle the multiplier too?

If the answers are all yes, then consider this: The 3200+ costs $200,
roughly, online. Using the Drystone benchmark for Sandra, the 2100+ gets a
score of about 7063. The 3200+, a score of 9250. Now, using math, the
Barton core processor is about 30% faster (9250/7063).

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-22.html

Now, assuming that most other benchmarks are in the ballpark, is it worth
$200 to you to get a 30% speed increase?

It's interesting to note, that in this particular test, a 2800+ T'bred core
beat the pants off the Barton core 3200+, scoring a 9325 on the same nForce
2 chipset. However, good luck finding one.

Now, let's look at the other side of the issue. The Athlon 64 3200+ based on
the 130nm Newcastle core (about $200 as well), scored a 10177 on the same
test with an nForce 3 based board with the Socket 939. Doing some math, we
find that you'll achieve about a 45% increase in speed. However, for that
extra 15% in speed, you'll have to change motherboards. Also, that test was
done using dual channel memory, so unless you upgrade it too, your results
will be something less.

So, is it worth all the extra money spent to get an additional 15% speed
increase?

These are decisions you have to make for yourself. Also, this is in no way
scientific. I chose that benchmark because it was the first Sandra
benchmark given in that test of CPUs. Other tests may show different
results. Some tests may show the Athlon 64 getting a much better
performance gain, others not as good. Look over the tests and determine for
yourself.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Robert wrote:
>
>> currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see
>> any
>> performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
>> upgrade later on.
>
> Does your motherboard even support the 3200+? Can it do the 400 MHz FSB?
> It
> might by overclocking, but can it handle the multiplier too?
>
> If the answers are all yes, then consider this: The 3200+ costs $200,
> roughly, online. Using the Drystone benchmark for Sandra, the 2100+ gets a
> score of about 7063. The 3200+, a score of 9250. Now, using math, the
> Barton core processor is about 30% faster (9250/7063).
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-22.html
>
> Now, assuming that most other benchmarks are in the ballpark, is it worth
> $200 to you to get a 30% speed increase?

Your argument is great, but it fails when you consider that the 30% speed
increase is for the CPU only. That does NOT equate to a 30% speed increase.
At best, you are looking at maybe 10%. And that is AT BEST. The CPU is an
important part of a computer system, but speeding up the CPU 30% does not
speed up your system 30%. -Dave

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:42:35 -0500, "Dave C."
<mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> currently have a 2100xp looking to put in a 3200*400barton would i see
>>> any
>>> performance gains or would i be better putting the money towards a 64bit
>>> upgrade later on.
>>
>> Does your motherboard even support the 3200+? Can it do the 400 MHz FSB?
>> It
>> might by overclocking, but can it handle the multiplier too?
>>
>> If the answers are all yes, then consider this: The 3200+ costs $200,
>> roughly, online. Using the Drystone benchmark for Sandra, the 2100+ gets a
>> score of about 7063. The 3200+, a score of 9250. Now, using math, the
>> Barton core processor is about 30% faster (9250/7063).
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-22.html
>>
>> Now, assuming that most other benchmarks are in the ballpark, is it worth
>> $200 to you to get a 30% speed increase?
>>

>Your argument is great, but it fails when you consider that the 30% speed
>increase is for the CPU only. That does NOT equate to a 30% speed increase.
>At best, you are looking at maybe 10%. And that is AT BEST. The CPU is an
>important part of a computer system, but speeding up the CPU 30% does not
>speed up your system 30%. -Dave

Both of your aruguments aren't quite right.

Judging CPU performance by a synthetic benchmark like
Sandra's CPU test, which is so bad that it will even allow a
Celeron 1.0 GHz to appear faster than a P3 933, won't be
telling of much.

On the other hand, presuming that it was a 30% difference
but that it was only CPU speed, isn't right either, as the
FSB and memory bus would be higher too.

It could easily exceed 25% performance gain on any if not
all applications that are CPU performance-bound. On some
tasks like SETI, it should be faster than 30% due to the
larger L2 cache. However paying $200 for an end-of-life
platform upgrade when it wouldn't cost much if any more to
buy a new motherboard and Sempron 3100, is poor bang for
buck. The best buy for a Barton is a XP2500 (or XP2400
Mobile) then overclocking the motherboard past 200MHz FSB.

Robert

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:42:35 -0500, "Dave C."
> <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>

>>"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Does your motherboard even support the 3200+? Can it do the 400 MHz FSB?
>>> It
>>> might by overclocking, but can it handle the multiplier too?
>>>
>>> If the answers are all yes, then consider this: The 3200+ costs $200,
>>> roughly, online. Using the Drystone benchmark for Sandra, the 2100+ gets
>>> score of about 7063. The 3200+, a score of 9250. Now, using math, the
>>> Barton core processor is about 30% faster (9250/7063).
>>>
>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-22.html
>>>
>>> Now, assuming that most other benchmarks are in the ballpark, is it
>>> worth
>>> $200 to you to get a 30% speed increase?
>>>

>>Your argument is great, but it fails when you consider that the 30% speed
>>increase is for the CPU only. That does NOT equate to a 30% speed
>>increase.
>>At best, you are looking at maybe 10%. And that is AT BEST. The CPU is
>>an
>>important part of a computer system, but speeding up the CPU 30% does not
>>speed up your system 30%. -Dave
>>

> Both of your aruguments aren't quite right.
>
> Judging CPU performance by a synthetic benchmark like
> Sandra's CPU test, which is so bad that it will even allow a
> Celeron 1.0 GHz to appear faster than a P3 933, won't be
> telling of much.
>
> On the other hand, presuming that it was a 30% difference
> but that it was only CPU speed, isn't right either, as the
> FSB and memory bus would be higher too.
>
> It could easily exceed 25% performance gain on any if not
> all applications that are CPU performance-bound. On some
> tasks like SETI, it should be faster than 30% due to the
> larger L2 cache. However paying $200 for an end-of-life
> platform upgrade when it wouldn't cost much if any more to
> buy a new motherboard and Sempron 3100, is poor bang for
> buck. The best buy for a Barton is a XP2500 (or XP2400
> Mobile) then overclocking the motherboard past 200MHz FSB.

Thanks all will be going down the xp2500m route if i can find out if the
ga-7nnxp will be able to adjust enough to take advantage of it :)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:05:55 GMT, "Robert"
<robertbailey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks all will be going down the xp2500m route if i can find out if the
>ga-7nnxp will be able to adjust enough to take advantage of it :)

I don't know the particulars of that board but in general
for the mobile you'd need the ability to change multipliers
(switches or in bios), while that is not useful with current
generation non-mobiles because the non-mobiles have been
multiplier locked for quite a while now. On either the FSB
increase is a pretty standard motherboard feature, leaving
the vcore voltage adjustment, if it has the feature it'll
typically be sufficient. 1.75V should be plenty, perhaps
more than needed to get ~XP3200 speed if not higher.

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:05:55 GMT, "Robert"
> <robertbailey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Thanks all will be going down the xp2500m route if i can find out if the
>>ga-7nnxp will be able to adjust enough to take advantage of it :)
>>

> I don't know the particulars of that board but in general
> for the mobile you'd need the ability to change multipliers
> (switches or in bios), while that is not useful with current
> generation non-mobiles because the non-mobiles have been
> multiplier locked for quite a while now. On either the FSB
> increase is a pretty standard motherboard feature, leaving
> the vcore voltage adjustment, if it has the feature it'll
> typically be sufficient. 1.75V should be plenty, perhaps
> more than needed to get ~XP3200 speed if not higher.
thanks mate since found out that i can use this cpu okay and do the
adjustments needed only trying this board for a few months till the nforce4
prices have leveled off (gave my old at7 max2 to son to play with :( to
upgrade his old system )