Another Question GPRS on PDA

August 5, 2004 11:32:49 PM

AS you can guess from my other questions I have just got a Pocket PC.
I want to know can I use a mobile phone to access the internet (gprs ) as I
dont want to use the bluetooth modem as its far too slow.

Cheers

More about : question gprs pda

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:32:50 PM

Which PDA/Phone ?

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

IPAQ 2210 I have a nokia 3650 it has GPRS but if that doesnt work then can
you tell me what phone does as I am about to get a new phone.

Cheers

Derek
August 6, 2004 2:06:31 AM

I used that phone with a h5550 on a BT connection to access tmo gprs.

Mitch

<del@here.com> wrote in message
> IPAQ 2210 I have a nokia 3650 it has GPRS but if that doesnt work then can
> you tell me what phone does as I am about to get a new phone.
>

> Cheers
>
> Derek
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:01:08 PM

<del@here.com> wrote in message
> AS you can guess from my other questions I have just got a Pocket PC.
> I want to know can I use a mobile phone to access the internet (gprs ) as
> dont want to use the bluetooth modem as its far too slow.

Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides. The guide about the GPRS connection was
created with a Nokia 3650.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
August 6, 2004 3:01:09 PM

Boy your gonna love me!

I have read your websites information and have followed the step by step
guide.

Now i have set it all up when i Tap on the GPRS connection in the bluetooth
manager

My 3650 then asks if i want to accept the incomming request, I pick yes,
then on the pda the "network log on " screen appears (this bit did not
appear on your very useful instructions), I click on ok then the little G
appears on the 3650 and after 3 seconds the PPC says the connection faied
and could not be reestablished

Just for info I have attemped a normal dialup connection from the PPC to the
3650 and this works fine

I am VERY confused and now totally Bald!!

Thanks for your help
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:40:02 PM

> Boy your gonna love me!
>
> I have read your websites information and have followed the step by step
> guide.
>
> Now i have set it all up when i Tap on the GPRS connection in the
bluetooth
> manager
>
> My 3650 then asks if i want to accept the incomming request, I pick yes,
> then on the pda the "network log on " screen appears (this bit did not
> appear on your very useful instructions), I click on ok then the little G
> appears on the 3650 and after 3 seconds the PPC says the connection faied
> and could not be reestablished
>
> Just for info I have attemped a normal dialup connection from the PPC to
the
> 3650 and this works fine
>
> I am VERY confused and now totally Bald!!
>
> Thanks for your help

You have to find the correct settings for your specific network operator.
Also you have to check if you can use your 3650 default CID. If this is not
the way you want (for example the default goes to a WAP gateway), then on
the Pocket PC you have to enter a number lik *99***2# where 2 is the CID
number (it can be anything, even 1).

For the APN, it'll be defined on the CID, if not or if you want to use a
different one, find what's the correct name and enter on the +CGDCONT init
string in the instructions.

For authentication you have to find what's the name and password used by
your operator. Google it (we have a few in our forums on Geekzone) and it
should be easy.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
August 6, 2004 6:40:03 PM

Whoa Whoa

You are talking another language here

ok this bit

On 6-Aug-2004, "Mauricio Frets [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.in valid>
wrote:

> Also you have to check if you can use your 3650 default CID. If this is
> not
> the way you want (for example the default goes to a WAP gateway), then on
> the Pocket PC you have to enter a number link *99***2# where 2 is the CID
> number (it can be anything, even 1).

Totally confused me what is all that CID (caller identification???) and how
do I know what the *99***x# number, where do I get that from?

Next Bit:

> For the APN, it'll be defined on the CID, if not or if you want to use a
> different one, find what's the correct name and enter on the +CGDCONT init
> string in the instructions.

What does this mean??? I'm totally baffled by this

Please simplify as I am a newbie to this stuff

Thanks
August 6, 2004 6:40:03 PM

Solution!

After a 1 hr and 25 min call to t-mobile i have finally set up my Nokia 3650
and iPAQ 2210 on gprs

Here is how

Under Bluetooth settings tap the Manage Existing Settings

Create a new setting give it a name press next, then select the "bluetooth
Dialup Modem"

Click next

enter this number as the dial up number *99#

Click next

user name : user
password: one2one

Click Advanced

Baud rate: 57600

click wait for dial tone before dialing to OFF

then enter this command string in the "Extra dia-string modem commands:"

+cgdcont=1"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"

Click on finish

Thats it, god knows how I would of figured that out!!!

I now have GPRS PHEW!!!

Thanks for all your help.....
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:58:11 AM

The CID is the configuration on your phone that allows you to access the
Internet on it. You can have multiple configurations on the phone. In
general you should be ok with the default one (#1), which is invoked with
*99# or *99***1#. If you have more than one configuration, or if the first
configuration is to a WAP connection, then you have to use the second, third
or another one.

The next bit is the APN. This is the gateway name, and some operators offer
different APN for each use. One will allow only access to WAP, other to the
Internet. You may have to find the name for the APN you need to use and
enter it as a ini string (follow our guide to find how to enter the string).

> Whoa Whoa
>
> You are talking another language here
>

> ok this bit
>

> On 6-Aug-2004, "Mauricio Frets [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.in valid>
> wrote:
>
> > Also you have to check if you can use your 3650 default CID. If this is
> > not
> > the way you want (for example the default goes to a WAP gateway), then
on
> > the Pocket PC you have to enter a number link *99***2# where 2 is the
CID
> > number (it can be anything, even 1).
>

> Totally confused me what is all that CID (caller identification???) and
how
> do I know what the *99***x# number, where do I get that from?
>
> Next Bit:
>

> > For the APN, it'll be defined on the CID, if not or if you want to use a
> > different one, find what's the correct name and enter on the +CGDCONT
init
> > string in the instructions.
>

> What does this mean??? I'm totally baffled by this
>
> Please simplify as I am a newbie to this stuff
>
> Thanks
August 7, 2004 2:58:12 AM

Thanks for the help, I have sorted it out.

I have one more problem!! can you guide me in the right direction for this

I'm bashing my head against a wall trying to get my PDA to access the
Internet via bluetooth.

I have a PC with a bluetooth Dongle, I have paired my PDA with it and can
access the computer via the PDA to view network drives and access the
computers shared folders. I cannot however, get the PDA to access the
Internet via the PC.

Can someone please tell me how to do this, it should be fairly simple but I
am at a loss, I have tried the Internet sharing wizard on the PC but it
doesn't work
and comes back saying there was a problem, how can I do this manually

Please help any suggestions will do!!
!