Internet inaccessible on guest account

I recently set up a guest account for my kids to use on my homebuilt
computer and it was working fine
for a few weeks then the internet stopped working on the account. I can't
figure out what to do to get it back.
I'm on broadband and the main account, mine, is fine and connects to the
internet. But when logged on as guest, the internet browser keeps saying
that the server can't be found.
Can anyonle please advise me on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks a lot for any advice.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:59:50 GMT, "Luis ORTEGA"
<lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I recently set up a guest account for my kids to use on my homebuilt
>computer and it was working fine
>for a few weeks then the internet stopped working on the account. I can't
>figure out what to do to get it back.
>I'm on broadband and the main account, mine, is fine and connects to the
>internet. But when logged on as guest, the internet browser keeps saying
>that the server can't be found.
>Can anyonle please advise me on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
>Thanks a lot for any advice.

This really isn't a hardwrae-related question, rather a
software (windows) question. You would probably get more
in-depth responses from those Windows newsgroups.

While the guess account is active try using something else
to make an outbound connection. For example, open a command
prompt [Start -> (type) "CMD" ] and then at the prompt:

tracert yahoo.com

Note where it stops. It should first hit your gateway
system, with ICS it's another system on your LAN, OR a
router. Next hit should be the broadband company's
equipment. It it hits those then it's a browser config
problem.

If it doesn't hit those then type at command prompt:
"inconfig /all"
and note the TCP/IP configuration of the system. You didn't
mention how the system was configured for TCP/IP or the LAN
so briefly it should be in correct IP range, subnet mask,
DNS servers. Compare those values to the values when
running your main account.

You might muck around with user privledges, but since the
guess account DID work, I doubt that's the problem... but it
seems "something" did get changed so work from that
assumption and recheck anything/everything.

for an off topic question, you certainly offered an informative reply.
Thanks, I'll check out what you mentioned.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:59:50 GMT, "Luis ORTEGA"
> <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently set up a guest account for my kids to use on my homebuilt
> >computer and it was working fine
> >for a few weeks then the internet stopped working on the account. I can't
> >figure out what to do to get it back.
> >I'm on broadband and the main account, mine, is fine and connects to the
> >internet. But when logged on as guest, the internet browser keeps saying
> >that the server can't be found.
> >Can anyonle please advise me on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
> >Thanks a lot for any advice.
> >

> This really isn't a hardwrae-related question, rather a
> software (windows) question. You would probably get more
> in-depth responses from those Windows newsgroups.
>
> While the guess account is active try using something else
> to make an outbound connection. For example, open a command
> prompt [Start -> (type) "CMD" ] and then at the prompt:
>
> tracert yahoo.com
>
> Note where it stops. It should first hit your gateway
> system, with ICS it's another system on your LAN, OR a
> router. Next hit should be the broadband company's
> equipment. It it hits those then it's a browser config
> problem.
>
> If it doesn't hit those then type at command prompt:
> "inconfig /all"
> and note the TCP/IP configuration of the system. You didn't
> mention how the system was configured for TCP/IP or the LAN
> so briefly it should be in correct IP range, subnet mask,
> DNS servers. Compare those values to the values when
> running your main account.
>
> You might muck around with user privledges, but since the
> guess account DID work, I doubt that's the problem... but it
> seems "something" did get changed so work from that
> assumption and recheck anything/everything.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:19:58 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:59:50 GMT, "Luis ORTEGA"
><lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently set up a guest account for my kids to use on my homebuilt
>>computer and it was working fine
>>for a few weeks then the internet stopped working on the account. I can't
>>figure out what to do to get it back.
>>I'm on broadband and the main account, mine, is fine and connects to the
>>internet. But when logged on as guest, the internet browser keeps saying
>>that the server can't be found.
>>Can anyonle please advise me on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
>>Thanks a lot for any advice.
>>

>This really isn't a hardwrae-related question, rather a
>software (windows) question. You would probably get more
>in-depth responses from those Windows newsgroups.
>
>While the guess account is active try using something else
>to make an outbound connection. For example, open a command
>prompt [Start -> (type) "CMD" ] and then at the prompt:
>
>tracert yahoo.com
>
>Note where it stops. It should first hit your gateway
>system, with ICS it's another system on your LAN, OR a
>router. Next hit should be the broadband company's
>equipment. It it hits those then it's a browser config
>problem.
>
>If it doesn't hit those then type at command prompt:
>"inconfig /all"

ipconfig /all

>and note the TCP/IP configuration of the system. You didn't
>mention how the system was configured for TCP/IP or the LAN
>so briefly it should be in correct IP range, subnet mask,
>DNS servers. Compare those values to the values when
>running your main account.
>
>You might muck around with user privledges, but since the
>guess account DID work, I doubt that's the problem... but it
>seems "something" did get changed so work from that
>assumption and recheck anything/everything.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:19:58 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>If it doesn't hit those then type at command prompt:
>"inconfig /all"

CORRECTION:

"ipconfig /all"

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:22:56 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com
(Overlord) wrote:

>>If it doesn't hit those then type at command prompt:
>>"inconfig /all"
>
>ipconfig /all

Thanks, I noticed that myself whilst reading Luis' post.