Which socket is better

Mike

Splendid

I want to upgrade my computer with a
new board and chip. I will be going with
the intel p4 at about 3.0gz (amd is not an option)
I see there are two different sockets for this
cpu. the socket 478 and socket 775
they are almost exactly the same price
(within $5.00 of each other)
I have not been paying attention to chips until
right now. because I have not bought a board
and chip in about 2 years now. I don't know
what th difference is betwwen the two, or
which one is the newer or older design,
or the advantage of one over the other.
Can anyone in the group help to bring me up
to speed on these chip designs ?

Thanks

In article Mike says...
> I want to upgrade my computer with a
> new board and chip. I will be going with
> the intel p4 at about 3.0gz (amd is not an option)
> I see there are two different sockets for this
> cpu. the socket 478 and socket 775
> they are almost exactly the same price
> (within $5.00 of each other)
> I have not been paying attention to chips until
> right now. because I have not bought a board
> and chip in about 2 years now. I don't know
> what th difference is betwwen the two, or
> which one is the newer or older design,
> or the advantage of one over the other.
> Can anyone in the group help to bring me up
> to speed on these chip designs ?

Why is AMD not an option?

--
Conor