How much would you pay to have a died computer fixed?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
online are frighteningly high in NYC.
7 answers Last reply
More about died computer fixed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    ggg wrote:
    > All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    > online are frighteningly high in NYC.

    Is it possible for you to rephrase both your subject and post in
    English? The way it is right now doesn't make much sense!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "ggg" <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:JHCAd.34525$kq2.29983@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    > online are frighteningly high in NYC.

    If you don't want to make the effort to fix it yourself,
    you'd be much better off to find a knowledgeable friend.
    You could start by posting the configuration of your
    computer here and describing the problem(s).

    -- Bob Day
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:28:57 GMT, ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    >online are frighteningly high in NYC.

    It depends entirely on what's wrong with it.
    With no information we can't even venture a guess, but a few
    ideas:

    Basic bench fee for diagnosis - $60
    Some shops will wave that if you have them fix the problem,
    or if it's a software and/or configuration problem, there
    might be no additonal charges.

    Additional hardware, plus installation and configuration -
    varys wildly depending on what's needed. A computer is a
    complex piece of equipment with many failure points, we
    could assume one of the more likely points but on the other
    hand I've heard of shops making wrong diagnosis too, and
    "accidentally" fixing the problem by selling/swapping parts.

    One must also consider the value of the system and it's age.
    If it was due to be replaced soon anyway, or if the repair
    cost is high percentage of total cost, it might make more
    sense to just buy a new PC, then remove the hard drive from
    the old system and install it in the new one to copy off
    files, and/or as a 2nd drive in the new system.

    Another poster made a good suggestion, that if you have a
    friend knowledgable in PC hardware you might have them take
    a look at it, and/or you could post specifics of the
    hardware and problem here.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:02:23 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net> wrote:

    >ggg wrote:
    >> All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    >> online are frighteningly high in NYC.
    >
    >Is it possible for you to rephrase both your subject and post in
    >English? The way it is right now doesn't make much sense!


    Maybe it would be possible for you to give us ALL a break, and refrain
    from posting if you aren't going to help ?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article ggg says...
    > All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    > online are frighteningly high in NYC.
    >
    Ever heard of the phrase "regular backups"??

    If the hard drive is OK then its a no brainer..stick the HDD in a
    friends PC and copy the files across.

    If the hard drive is toast then its shitloads of money. Obviously the
    data can't have been that important otherwise you'd have backed it up.


    --
    Conor

    An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
    -- George Patton
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Conor wrote:

    > In article ggg says...
    >
    >>All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    >>online are frighteningly high in NYC.
    >>
    >
    > Ever heard of the phrase "regular backups"??
    >
    > If the hard drive is OK then its a no brainer..stick the HDD in a
    > friends PC and copy the files across.
    >
    > If the hard drive is toast then its shitloads of money. Obviously the
    > data can't have been that important otherwise you'd have backed it up.
    >
    >
    I've already been quoted a price so it must be salvageable. This
    computer has made grinding noises for years. It's just a matter of
    getting the money to pay the guy. Thanks for the feedback. I'll post
    again if I understand the pc's situation better.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:26:18 GMT, ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Conor wrote:
    >
    >> In article ggg says...
    >>
    >>>All my files are in there so it's kind of a must do but the prices
    >>>online are frighteningly high in NYC.
    >>>
    >>
    >> Ever heard of the phrase "regular backups"??
    >>
    >> If the hard drive is OK then its a no brainer..stick the HDD in a
    >> friends PC and copy the files across.
    >>
    >> If the hard drive is toast then its shitloads of money. Obviously the
    >> data can't have been that important otherwise you'd have backed it up.
    >>
    >>
    >I've already been quoted a price so it must be salvageable. This
    >computer has made grinding noises for years. It's just a matter of
    >getting the money to pay the guy. Thanks for the feedback. I'll post
    >again if I understand the pc's situation better.

    What do you all think? Dirty fan and worn out power supply? I'd be
    surprised if the repair bill was under $300.00 . If he does it
    himself, under $50.00 .

    mjs
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Systems