Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Widows 7 freeze while installing

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2011 7:25:13 PM

Hello there,

I have been trying to install windows on this computer for over a day now, I used to own an MSI board and decided to upgrade to an ASUS m4a89td PRO/USB3 for a raid 0 and crossfire combo. Beforehand, I had windows 7 pro 64 bit installed just fine, playing games and running smoothly. I remember windows being stubborn to install at first, but I was able to figure it out using google and installing raid/mobo drivers.

THIS TIME, I am unfortunate to be cursed by windows once again. The windows 7 64 bit install freezes at random intervals... either at the very beginning and at expanding windows files(0%), NOTE. Bios does not freeze.

I've tried many things posted on the internet without success... here are the things I have tried.

-burned 5+ discs ranging from 1x - 4x on different media, dual layer virbatim and single layer ritadek dvds
-took out all useless componenets such as my extra video card, ram, sound card, extra drives etc
-tried to install windows on a single hard drive without the raid
-unplugged all usb devices
-loaded raid drivers from the chipset driver downloaded from the asus website
-leaving the install run (frozen) overnight to see if it would magically unfreeze and finish
-turned off a bunch of features in the bios... alot of them made my system unbootable so I havent really tried all the combinations, open to more suggestions with this.
-switched dvd burner/reader drive for burning and reading

here are my hardware specs:
1090t 6core processor
4gb x2 CORSAIR 1333MHZ ram
ASUS m4a89td PRO/USB3
700 watt OCZ power supply
2x radeon 5770 HD VAPOR-X video card
LG dual dvd burner

I am really stumped on this, I usually can google my way out of situations, but I really cant seem to find the cause of this one.

Thanks in advance,
Mat
a c 255 $ Windows 7
February 25, 2011 6:32:56 PM

Where did you get your install media from?
m
l
February 25, 2011 9:17:42 PM

is it an actual windows disc from windows? or is it a burned copy? If its burned I would start with an actual Windows Disc to see if that solves your problem.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2011 10:43:41 PM

Just to rule it out, I would recommend running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic. (DFT for Hitachi, SeaTools for Seagate, etc...)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2011 11:03:15 PM

Pirates don't get help here. Good Bye :p 
m
l
February 27, 2011 10:40:04 PM

Are you serious? I have a legit copy, dont assume things, windows gives out free downloads for students who are enrolled at my school, the download came from MSDN

Pirate versions have nothing to do with this problem.

This is a burned copy, I actually put my old board back in and everything installed fine. So I came to the conclusion that the board was defective and sent it back.

Thanks for the help anyways, apart from daship for being a douche(I really wish retards would stay off the internet).
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
February 28, 2011 2:54:40 AM

BTW, did you try to get Win 7 to work with an old install (from your previous mobo)? That rarely works without taking several other steps to prep the install or to repair the previous install.
m
l
February 28, 2011 2:48:55 PM

no, as stated before I was trying to re-install as I had a raid 0 setup from my previous mobo, this was a brand new install.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
February 28, 2011 2:53:14 PM

mpj123 said:
no, as stated before I was trying to re-install as I had a raid 0 setup from my previous mobo, this was a brand new install.

Understood, I was just wondering from your previous comment about putting the old mobo back in and it working. If you have trouble after getting the new mobo, come on back and we'll see what can be done to help.

Good luck!
m
l

Best solution

February 28, 2011 4:17:46 PM

I'm going through this same issue with a new rebuild. I tried all those steps as well and was able to actually get W7 to install once, however, it still froze up on me when I tried accessing Windows Explorer. I believe the motherboard in my situation is bad (not only from the fact that one of the on-board cooling vents is severely bent, but also from the fact that this thing literally blew out my front USB media boards, and I later seen that the aftermarket cooler/fan wasn't seated well on the CPU because the board is slightly warped. I later used an Intel cooler and this sealed fine, but still had the freezes.) I've never had this problem with any other boards I had or with any install of Windows 7 x64. This board was supposedly refurbed but it was still sealed (an XFX 750i) in the package. Thankfully the seller is sending me another board - so I'll see how this one goes. Good luck to you, and as someone else mentioned, try using your old board and see if this random freezing happens.

February 28, 2011 10:53:05 PM

Yes, using my old board fixed the issue, so I did the same as you and sent my board back
m
l
March 7, 2011 10:56:14 PM

Best answer selected by mpj123.
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:21:01 PM

mpj123 said:
Best answer selected by mpj123.

nhey thanks!
n
nI forgot to get back to you. I installed my replacement board and was able to install Windows on the first attempt. There are a few issues with his "new" board but it's not affecting Windows ( I just can't use my front case modules anymore (USB, SD card, etc) and last night I was finally able to install it back in to my theater room. To make a long story short, my main freezing problem (besides the bad motherboard) was due to a faulty SATA cable. One of the cables wasn't fully seated with the HDD; the black plastic connector was stripped. I replaced it witha new SATA cable that came with the motherboard and it's been stable ever since.
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:47:03 PM

Well, if the cable was faulty my old board would have given me just as much trouble with the install, but it installed fine, so I didnt bother checking my cables... Although I had unplugged and replugged/seated everything
m
l
!