Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown

Please help!

I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
my original
message pop up, so I'm trying again.

I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
this CPU.
It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.

It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
When I shutdown, it either:
1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
2) reboots.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Barker

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:07:20 -0600, Bill Barker
<barker@fnal.gov> wrote:

>Please help!
>
>I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
>my original
>message pop up, so I'm trying again.
>

>I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
>It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
>this CPU.
>It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
>I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.
>
>It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
>When I shutdown, it either:
> 1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
> 2) reboots.
>
>Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>Bill Barker

The board is pretty old now, the capacitors might be dying
of (ordinary) aging. Examine them for
vented/swelling/residue/etc, though at that age they could
be doing poorly with no visable signs of a problem.

Having maxed out the memory could be a problem too, that's a
lot of memory to expect a socket 7 board to handle
regardless of what the chipset "officially" supports. Does
it even cache more than 512MB? I thought it didn't but by
now my memory of this is fuzzy.

Hanging at the Win98 shutdown could be a lot of things, bad
device drivers or apps not closing, power management
problems... There is a shutdown patch for win98 (still?)
available from Microsoft, you might try that if you haven't.

Reboots are more often a power-related problem or "maybe"
overheating... check that the fans are all working. Take
power supply voltages with a multimeter. If you've a spare
power supply you might try it. Those boards were also
pretty picky about video cards, if you have a TNT/TNT2
(especially) you might have problems or other similar
cards... often during that era it was advised to use Voodoo2
cards due to the fact that they behave as a
PCI-card-in-an-AGP-slot. If you have another video card,
especially a PCI card, you might try it.

Try removing 2 of the memory modules, underclock it to 66MHz
FSB (temporarily) and see if the problem(s) persist. That
will reduce or eliminate all but the windows
OS/drivers/apps, among the things I mentioned.

What's changed prior to onset of these problems?
Had the machine been working ok regularly or just out of
storage or "new" build or ???

kony wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:07:20 -0600, Bill Barker
> <barker@fnal.gov> wrote:
>

>>Please help!
>>
>>I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
>>my original
>>message pop up, so I'm trying again.
>>

>>I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
>>It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
>>this CPU.
>>It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
>>I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.
>>
>>It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
>>When I shutdown, it either:
>> 1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
>> 2) reboots.
>>
>>Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bill Barker
>

> The board is pretty old now, the capacitors might be dying
> of (ordinary) aging. Examine them for
> vented/swelling/residue/etc, though at that age they could
> be doing poorly with no visable signs of a problem.
>
> Having maxed out the memory could be a problem too, that's a
> lot of memory to expect a socket 7 board to handle
> regardless of what the chipset "officially" supports. Does
> it even cache more than 512MB? I thought it didn't but by
> now my memory of this is fuzzy.

You're probably remembering that the motherboard cache is 512K but the
amount of RAM it can cache is 128 MB, max.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/MBs/Asus/p5a-b.htm

"Bill Barker" <barker@fnal.gov> wrote in message

| Please help!
|
| I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
| my original
| message pop up, so I'm trying again.
|

| I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
| It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
| this CPU.
| It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
| I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.
|
| It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
| When I shutdown, it either:
| 1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
| 2) reboots.
|
| Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow Kony's suggestion about the capacitors. Mobos of this vintage often
suffered from bad capacitors based on the Taiwan capacitor scandal of a few
years ago. Capacitors look like small barrels and are often located near
the CPU, so check all you you see for swelling at the top or leaking
anywhere.

If you find any, this is likely your problem, and it can be fixed here for
~$50:
http://motherboardrepair.com/. Homie has fixed several of my Abit boards,
and although I've sold the others, one is still running here over two years
later. I can vouch for his competence.