Advice on building my own computer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
prefered, but you can reply here if you want.

I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
(1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?
67 answers Last reply
More about advice building computer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    << I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest,
    most
    << stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money

    the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the price
    tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well then
    that's a horse of a different color.

    "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    > I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    > wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
    would be
    > prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    memory
    > (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    don't know
    > exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    based on
    > that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Andy in NJ wrote:
    > I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    > wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    > prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
    > (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
    > exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
    > that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

    Here's a great site that will help you to make up your mind:

    http://arstechnica.com/guides.ars
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    You say
    >I don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you
    >recommend based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

    Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will you
    be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
    firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
    can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD or
    Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
    categories?

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    > memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    > don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    > based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will
    > you be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
    > firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
    > can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD
    > or Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
    > categories?

    I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest, most
    stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money. I have no preference between
    AMD or Intel, although AMD is what I've been using for years, mainly because
    of price. I'd like something at least 2 gigs+.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:59:56 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT
    NET> wrote:

    >I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    >I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
    >(1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
    >exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
    >that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939) $165.00
    Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 $28.00
    MSI K8N NEO Platinum $148.00
    Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 $140.00
    Antec SLK3700 BQE $73.00

    $554.00
    All prices from www.NewEgg.com

    regards

    Dud
    --

    Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day,
    but they're unable to do it themselves. - Brendan Behan

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:04:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    >"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will
    >> you be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
    >> firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
    >> can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD
    >> or Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
    >> categories?
    >
    >I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest, most
    >stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money. I have no preference between
    >AMD or Intel, although AMD is what I've been using for years, mainly because
    >of price. I'd like something at least 2 gigs+.

    Surfing/office/email/etc is easily done with anything
    semi-modern. Since you made no mention of the video card,
    which will typically be the largest performance difference
    for gaming, shall we presume you already have a suitable
    card? If so, you must take it's interface into
    consideration. That is, if it's AGP based then you'll want
    a motherboard with AGP too.

    $500 might be cutting it tight for a 2GHz CPU, unless you
    meant only a P4, which will be substantially slower than an
    Athlon @ 2GHz. You might be able to get something like,

    $150 Athlon64 3000+ 939 (1.8GHz)
    $100 nForce3 or Via K8T800 based m'board (pick features)
    $150 2 x 512MB PC3200 (name-brand budget-grade)
    $70 Case, power (subject to taste, Antec is often good)
    -------
    $470 so far, $30 more could be easily eaten up by memory,
    heatsink, shipping, fancier motherboard, etc.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
    that and you'll have something just about ok.

    "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    > memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    > don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    > based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <crm5mo$tra$1@kermit.esat.net>,
    Richard Dower <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
    >that and you'll have something just about ok.
    >

    >"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >>
    >> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    >> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    >> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    >> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

    If all you are doing is email, internet browsing and audio multimedia
    a midrange machine is fine. You don't need more than 256MB of memory
    unless you can name the software application you use, to justify it.

    A year ago I priced the parts for business-grade white box systems on
    newegg.com. All the parts came to $300. All name-brand good parts.
    Here's what it included;

    Midrange AMD CPU
    ASUS mobo with on-board video/LAN/sound
    Case/PSU
    256MB memory
    Good 40GB disk
    Floppy
    CD burner & burning software

    NO OS (add $90 for XP/Home)

    You already have monitor/kbd/mouse. You _may_ have OS software.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Richard Dower wrote:
    > lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
    > that and you'll have something just about ok.
    >

    > "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >>
    >>I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    >>memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    >>don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    >>based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

    And what exactly is wrong with the recommendation in the post just
    before yours?

    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

[...]

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Andy in NJ:

    > I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    > wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
    > would be prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a ....

    new case
    $91 Antec Black with 350W PS
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140033

    motherboard
    $129 Epox 9NDA3+
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=13-123-
    222

    CPU
    $146 Athlon 64 3000+
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80699-R

    memory (1 gig)
    $142 Mushkin PC3200
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299

    TOTAL $508 shipped
    It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)
    --
    Mac Cool
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    There you go. That would be the deal. I have been using the Mushkin memory
    in my 1 gig builds. Nice bang for the buck. Way to shop, Max.

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > Andy in NJ:
    >
    > > I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    > > wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
    > > would be prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    > >
    > > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a ....
    >
    > new case
    > $91 Antec Black with 350W PS
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140033
    >
    > motherboard
    > $129 Epox 9NDA3+
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=13-123-
    > 222
    >
    > CPU
    > $146 Athlon 64 3000+
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80699-R
    >
    > memory (1 gig)
    > $142 Mushkin PC3200
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299
    >
    > TOTAL $508 shipped
    > It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)
    > --
    > Mac Cool
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Asus P4P800 $70 US
    Intel 3.0 800 FSB $185 US
    Kingston Dual Channel Matched 512 MB PC3200 $140 US

    Should be able to afford graphics card if needed for just a bit more:
    Asus GeForce 4 128MB GDDR3 GT6600 about $200 US

    Everything seems to be going for PCI Express, and with the Socket 775, but
    I'd wait on them to perfect these things a little before forking out the
    dough. The system above would be solid for years to come till you decided
    for another upgrade.

    For high end gaming and video apps, this would be more then enough for quite
    some time.

    Regards,

    Doug

    "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    > memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    > don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    > based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > If all you are doing is email, internet browsing and audio multimedia
    > a midrange machine is fine. You don't need more than 256MB of memory
    > unless you can name the software application you use, to justify it.
    >
    > A year ago I priced the parts for business-grade white box systems on
    > newegg.com. All the parts came to $300. All name-brand good parts.
    > Here's what it included;
    >
    > Midrange AMD CPU
    > ASUS mobo with on-board video/LAN/sound
    > Case/PSU
    > 256MB memory
    > Good 40GB disk
    > Floppy
    > CD burner & burning software
    >
    > NO OS (add $90 for XP/Home)
    >
    > You already have monitor/kbd/mouse. You _may_ have OS software.

    Like I said, all I need is the box/power supply, mobo, cpu and memory. I
    have everything else. I primarily use my computer for gaming and I want to
    upgrade from my current AMD Athlon XP running at 1.15gig (can't get the bus
    speed over 100mhz but that's a whole 'nuther thread) on a Biostar M7VIG Pro
    mobo and 1 gig of SDRAM.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > new case
    > $91 Antec Black with 350W PS
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140033
    >
    > motherboard
    > $129 Epox 9NDA3+
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=13-123-
    > 222
    >
    > CPU
    > $146 Athlon 64 3000+
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80699-R
    >
    > memory (1 gig)
    > $142 Mushkin PC3200
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299
    >
    > TOTAL $508 shipped
    > It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)

    Thanks for the reply. I will save this one to consider.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the price
    > tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well then
    > that's a horse of a different color.

    What I use the computer for is pretty irrelivant. Obviously, I want to get
    the best bang for my $500. To me, this means the fastest mobo/cpu/memory
    combination for the money. I already have the video/sound/harddrive, etc...
    that I need.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > What I use the computer for is pretty irrelivant.

    I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
    or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
    you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
    it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
    irrelevant.

    carry on wayward son

    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the
    price
    > > tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well
    then
    > > that's a horse of a different color.
    > Obviously, I want to get
    > the best bang for my $500. To me, this means the fastest
    mobo/cpu/memory
    > combination for the money. I already have the video/sound/harddrive,
    etc...
    > that I need.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    jacoby:

    > There you go. That would be the deal. I have been using the Mushkin
    > memory in my 1 gig builds. Nice bang for the buck.

    I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
    premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
    too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.

    The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
    will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.
    --
    Mac Cool
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
    > premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
    > too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.
    >
    > The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
    > will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.

    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 megs. Works well, but nowhere near it's potential
    with my current config.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
    > premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
    > too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.
    >
    > The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
    > will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    That is about as cheap as it gets for a gig of quality dual channel ram.
    The high performance sticks will eat into his budget, and will have to cut
    cost elsewhere. Maybe the case, but a decent case will normally last through
    a few upgrades.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JAD:

    > SOF? well then that's a horse of a different color.

    camo?

    --
    Mac Cool
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Andy in NJ:

    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    >> motherboard
    >> $129 Epox 9NDA3+
    >> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=13-1
    >> 23- 222

    > Thanks for the reply. I will save this one to consider.

    Forgot to mention that I think this motherboard will be good for
    overclocking if you want to go that way.
    --
    Mac Cool
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
    > or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
    > you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
    > it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
    > irrelevant.

    *sigh*

    I have $500. I want the fastest, most stable mobo/CPU/RAM combo for the
    cost. Just looking for opinions on which ones fit this bill. I am no expert
    in this field, but I do know more than the 'Got a Dell with AOL' new guy,
    which is why I posted here.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO USE A
    MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?

    caps is so you don't fall asleep. *sigh*
    Granted, you have 'pretty' good odds it will work, but the info would
    definitely help those who are responding.
    I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what that
    may be. SO it would be a matter of 'just tell me what the best barebones I
    can buy for x amount of dollars'?

    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
    > > or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
    > > you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
    > > it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
    > > irrelevant.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > I have $500. I want the fastest, most stable mobo/CPU/RAM combo for the
    > cost. Just looking for opinions on which ones fit this bill. I am no
    expert
    > in this field, but I do know more than the 'Got a Dell with AOL' new guy,
    > which is why I posted here.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JAD:

    > HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO
    > USE A MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?
    > I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what
    > that may be. ...

    He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...
    --
    Mac Cool
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On 9 Jan 2005 05:31:38 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >JAD:
    >
    >> HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO
    >> USE A MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?
    >> I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what
    >> that may be. ...
    >
    >He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...

    You have a spycam pointed at him?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
    > is a high quality one, like an Antec or
    > Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
    > really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
    > 700W model may not be enough.

    I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
    setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
    standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
    only thing I'm not sure about.

    > It's completely relevant because if you mostly play games from a CD/DVD
    > or do intensive CAD, video, or audio work, you want the fastest CPU and
    > graphics, but if you're using the computer just for Internet, business,
    > or wordprocessing, a 200 MHz CPU and the world's slowest graphics card
    > are more than enough and you should instead be more concerned about
    > reliability (UPS, RAID HDs, second computer for backups). I have no
    > idea what's needed for Internet gaming.

    I don't need a graphics card. I have one that is fine for my applications. A
    200 MHZ CPU would not be "just fine" because I'm not looking for "just
    fine". I'm just interested in the fastest, most reliable mobo/cpu/memory
    combination for the money. I don't care if it's overkill for what I may be
    using the computer for. I didn't ask what people thought was appropriate for
    a particular application, but rather, I asked what I could get with that
    amount of money. I've gotten some good replies so far and I appretiate
    those.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony:

    >>He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...
    >
    > You have a spycam pointed at him?

    Well yeah, but that's not how I knew ;)

    Actually he mentioned the video card in his first or second reply.
    --
    Mac Cool
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:16:48 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    >"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >> You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
    >> is a high quality one, like an Antec or
    >> Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
    >> really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
    >> 700W model may not be enough.
    >
    >I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
    >setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
    >standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
    >only thing I'm not sure about.

    Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
    every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
    overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
    think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
    comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
    which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
    omission of saftety features.

    Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
    seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
    build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
    more, >=17A.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to assemble
    a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the gaming
    performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.

    The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig HD
    and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing you
    omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will make as
    much or more importance than the processor.

    "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
    >wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
    >prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
    >
    > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
    > memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
    > don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
    > based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
    > every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
    > overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
    > think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
    > comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
    > which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
    > omission of saftety features.
    >
    > Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
    > seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
    > build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
    > more, >=17A.

    I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
    they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
    a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
    9600 Pro video card...
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Rod" <rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
    >AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to
    >assemble a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the
    >gaming performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.
    >
    > The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig
    > HD and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing
    > you omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will
    > make as much or more importance than the processor.

    Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
    memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
    replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
    > memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
    > replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.

    Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
    something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
    simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
    in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.

    But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
    > something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
    > simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and
    > the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro
    > setup in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
    >
    > But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

    *sigh*

    You guys provide great advice and you've given me many different setups to
    consider and I appretiate it. Just don't read too much into the post. :)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:44:52 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST
    DOT NET> wrote:

    >"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
    >> seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
    >> build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
    >> more, >=17A.
    >

    >I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
    >they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
    >a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
    >9600 Pro video card...

    Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
    blame other things as the cause.
    I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
    to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,

    Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
    guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
    stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
    important, but some of you guys need therapy.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Gary Newman" <garyman@hotmale.org> wrote in message
    >> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,
    >
    > Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
    > guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
    > stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
    > important, but some of you guys need therapy.

    Ok, So if a guy wants to know if jumping off of a cliff will get him to the
    bottom, should everyone just say "yes" and not suggest taking the stairs?
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    >I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
    >they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
    >a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
    >9600 Pro video card...

    Sure, and systems used less power in the past, and that
    power was more evenly distrubuted on 5V & 12V rails. Just
    trying to be helpful, I throw away piles of generics because
    they're not even worth fixing.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:00:33 GMT, IDIDIT <VISCH@EVASION.COM>
    wrote:

    >>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
    >>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
    >>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
    >>9600 Pro video card...
    >>

    >Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
    >blame other things as the cause.
    >I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
    >to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK

    Something else not-so-obvious to some is that a marginal
    power supply may kill other parts yet remain working. If a
    video card, motherboard or HDD dies, will the owner blame
    the correct part?
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:39:58 -0600, "Rod"
    <rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote:

    >"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
    >> Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
    >> memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
    >> replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.
    >>

    >Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
    >something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
    >simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
    >AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
    >in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
    >
    >But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

    The proposed $500 budget was already thin, no way to squeeze
    in the video card unless it's the only thing replaced, since
    the CPU & mobo kinda go together as a pair.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <manny@london.com> wrote in message
    > Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
    >
    > It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
    > in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
    > and pretty.

    I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
    I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
    important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
    people are just reading too much into the original post.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:07:56 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    ><manny@london.com> wrote in message
    >> Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
    >>
    >> It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
    >> in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
    >> and pretty.
    >
    >I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
    >I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
    >important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
    >people are just reading too much into the original post.

    Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
    are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
    might try those as well.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    > negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    > two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
    > are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
    > might try those as well.

    Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
    each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
    people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
    every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
    newsgroup that I crossposted to.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Andy in NJ wrote:
    > "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    >>negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    >>two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
    >>are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
    >>might try those as well.
    >

    > Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
    > each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
    > people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
    > every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
    > newsgroup that I crossposted to.

    The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to cross-post!

    Post to one group at a time and only one group only!

    Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
    at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    >"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    >> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    >> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
    >> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
    >> might try those as well.
    >
    >Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
    >each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
    >people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
    >every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
    >newsgroup that I crossposted to.

    Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
    less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
    your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
    haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
    groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
    post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
    nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
    wasting your own time, too.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Dee wrote:
    > Andy in NJ wrote:
    >> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    >>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    >>> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
    >>> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
    >>> might try those as well.
    >>
    >> Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have
    >> to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.
    >> Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups to
    >> reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups. My
    >> topic is broad enough to cover each newsgroup that I crossposted
    >> to.
    >>
    > The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to
    > cross-post! Post to one group at a time and only one group only!
    >
    > Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!

    He can cross post to a reasonable selection, provided he sets
    follow-ups to a single group immediately, i.e. on the initial
    posting. That way he gets a response from a wider group (which I
    presume to be the objective) and limits discussion to a single
    group. Once a thread is widely cross-posted it tends to fill up
    with kooks and various OT nonsense, and to become an interminable
    nuisance.

  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    kony wrote:
    >On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
    >at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    >>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
    >>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
    >>> two and sticking with it for a while.

    I agree with this...

    >>Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will
    >>have to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.

    This isn't a problem if you only post to one or two groups.

    >>Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups
    >>to reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups.

    This is actually a problem when you crosspost to more than,
    say, 2 newsgroups. For whatever reasons, the chances of
    starting a silly argument goes way up when you crosspost.
    Perhaps it's because people who normally wouldn't be reading
    each other's opinionated posts do so. Within a newsgroup,
    a particular argument might have been hashed over many times
    already.

    >>My topic is broad enough to cover each
    >>newsgroup that I crossposted to.

    You would have done much better to only post to homebuilt
    and pc-homebuilt.

    home-designed is naturally going to look down upon you for
    not going with a "real" custom system.

    alt.comp.hardware is too broad--you don't post to a broad
    group if a subgroup applies. Otherwise, EVERY post to a
    subgroup would be crossposted to the broader parent group.
    Does that make any sense?

    As it is, a.c.h.homebuilt and a.c.h.pc-homebuilt are basically
    redundant and in a "non-alt" world would be just a single
    newsgroup. However, the alt hierarchy is more of an anarchy
    than a hierarchy, so...

    >Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
    >less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
    >your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
    >haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
    >groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
    >post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
    >nothing-in-particular" threads.

    I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
    threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
    hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
    threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
    the best deals.

    >Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.

    For most people, putting together a new computer is a
    significant investment in money and/or time. It's
    natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
    a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
    not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
    for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
    along in this time.

    Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
    change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

    Isaac Kuo
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    kony:

    > Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't post "hey gang be my
    > personal shopper for nothing-in-particular" threads.

    Wait, I thought we were reading the same newsgroups... maybe not.
    ;)

    --
    Mac Cool
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 13 Jan 2005 08:06:11 -0800, "IsaacKuo"
    <mechdan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
    >>less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
    >>your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
    >>haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
    >>groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
    >>post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
    >>nothing-in-particular" threads.
    >
    >I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
    >threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
    >hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
    >threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
    >the best deals.

    Consider that dozens of thousands of PCs are bought every
    day. How many of those buyers DON'T want the best thing for
    X amt. of $ ? The difference is generally that they do a
    bit of research into their personal needs BEFORE looking for
    specific advice, narrowing down the choices rather than at
    the beginning of the whole process.

    >>Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.
    >
    >For most people, putting together a new computer is a
    >significant investment in money and/or time. It's
    >natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
    >a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
    >not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
    >for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
    >along in this time.
    >
    >Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
    >change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

    Yes, and again, where would it end? It's not at all crazy
    to research, but that's exactly what the OP did not do,
    instead... or at least no evidence of it, no details to
    narrow the alternatives or anything like that except what
    seems a budget where he's trying to get us to help him save
    a couple bucks. In moderation, it's a reasonable thing.
    When it involves occupying multiple newsgroups for a generic
    question with no prior legwork, it's excessive, IMO.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
    > less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
    > your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
    > haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
    > groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
    > post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
    > nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
    > wasting your own time, too.

    So asking others for their opinions on a newsgroup isn't "legwork"? You're
    right I haven't bought the system. Unlike you, I don't have all the free
    time in the world to immediately run out and buy what I need. I will be
    buying something soon, probably as a result of the helpful replies I
    received.

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Systems