Advice on building my own computer

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 2:59:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
prefered, but you can reply here if you want.

I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
(1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?
January 7, 2005 11:20:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<< I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest,
most
<< stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money

the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the price
tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well then
that's a horse of a different color.

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
> I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
> wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
would be
> prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
memory
> (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
don't know
> exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
based on
> that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 1:06:19 PM

Andy in NJ wrote:
> I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
> wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
> prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
> (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
> exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
> that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Here's a great site that will help you to make up your mind:

http://arstechnica.com/guides.ars
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 2:40:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You say
>I don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you
>recommend based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will you
be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD or
Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
categories?

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 2:40:51 PM

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will
> you be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
> firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
> can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD
> or Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
> categories?

I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest, most
stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money. I have no preference between
AMD or Intel, although AMD is what I've been using for years, mainly because
of price. I'd like something at least 2 gigs+.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 3:05:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:59:56 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT
NET> wrote:

>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
>I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory
>(1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know
>exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend based on
>that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939) $165.00
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 $28.00
MSI K8N NEO Platinum $148.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 $140.00
Antec SLK3700 BQE $73.00

$554.00
All prices from www.NewEgg.com

regards

Dud
--

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day,
but they're unable to do it themselves. - Brendan Behan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:04:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Can you give some more information to your needs? Are you a gamer? Will
>> you be doing video editing, DVD burning, general computing, RAID, need a
>> firewire port, etc? The more folks understand those needs the better they
>> can give you solid and specific advice. Do you have a preference for AMD
>> or Intel? What speed CPU were you thinking of in either of these two
>> categories?
>
>I mostly play games and surf the net. I am looking for the fastest, most
>stable MB/CPU/Memory combination for the money. I have no preference between
>AMD or Intel, although AMD is what I've been using for years, mainly because
>of price. I'd like something at least 2 gigs+.

Surfing/office/email/etc is easily done with anything
semi-modern. Since you made no mention of the video card,
which will typically be the largest performance difference
for gaming, shall we presume you already have a suitable
card? If so, you must take it's interface into
consideration. That is, if it's AGP based then you'll want
a motherboard with AGP too.

$500 might be cutting it tight for a 2GHz CPU, unless you
meant only a P4, which will be substantially slower than an
Athlon @ 2GHz. You might be able to get something like,

$150 Athlon64 3000+ 939 (1.8GHz)
$100 nForce3 or Via K8T800 based m'board (pick features)
$150 2 x 512MB PC3200 (name-brand budget-grade)
$70 Case, power (subject to taste, Antec is often good)
-------
$470 so far, $30 more could be easily eaten up by memory,
heatsink, shipping, fancier motherboard, etc.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 5:06:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
that and you'll have something just about ok.

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 5:06:42 PM

In article <crm5mo$tra$1@kermit.esat.net>,
Richard Dower <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
>that and you'll have something just about ok.
>

>"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>>
>> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
>> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
>> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
>> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

If all you are doing is email, internet browsing and audio multimedia
a midrange machine is fine. You don't need more than 256MB of memory
unless you can name the software application you use, to justify it.

A year ago I priced the parts for business-grade white box systems on
newegg.com. All the parts came to $300. All name-brand good parts.
Here's what it included;

Midrange AMD CPU
ASUS mobo with on-board video/LAN/sound
Case/PSU
256MB memory
Good 40GB disk
Floppy
CD burner & burning software

NO OS (add $90 for XP/Home)

You already have monitor/kbd/mouse. You _may_ have OS software.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
January 7, 2005 5:06:42 PM

Richard Dower wrote:
> lol...you won't get anything much good for $500, maybe add another $200 to
> that and you'll have something just about ok.
>

> "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>
>>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>>
>>I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
>>memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
>>don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
>>based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

And what exactly is wrong with the recommendation in the post just
before yours?

at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

[...]

January 7, 2005 5:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Andy in NJ:

> I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
> wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
> would be prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a ....

new case
$91 Antec Black with 350W PS
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

motherboard
$129 Epox 9NDA3+
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&de...
222

CPU
$146 Athlon 64 3000+
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

memory (1 gig)
$142 Mushkin PC3200
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

TOTAL $508 shipped
It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

There you go. That would be the deal. I have been using the Mushkin memory
in my 1 gig builds. Nice bang for the buck. Way to shop, Max.

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> Andy in NJ:
>
> > I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
> > wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email
> > would be prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
> >
> > I have $500 to spend. I want to get a ....
>
> new case
> $91 Antec Black with 350W PS
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> motherboard
> $129 Epox 9NDA3+
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&de...
> 222
>
> CPU
> $146 Athlon 64 3000+
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> memory (1 gig)
> $142 Mushkin PC3200
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> TOTAL $508 shipped
> It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)
> --
> Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 8:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Asus P4P800 $70 US
Intel 3.0 800 FSB $185 US
Kingston Dual Channel Matched 512 MB PC3200 $140 US

Should be able to afford graphics card if needed for just a bit more:
Asus GeForce 4 128MB GDDR3 GT6600 about $200 US

Everything seems to be going for PCI Express, and with the Socket 775, but
I'd wait on them to perfect these things a little before forking out the
dough. The system above would be solid for years to come till you decided
for another upgrade.

For high end gaming and video apps, this would be more then enough for quite
some time.

Regards,

Doug

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 11:06:54 PM

> If all you are doing is email, internet browsing and audio multimedia
> a midrange machine is fine. You don't need more than 256MB of memory
> unless you can name the software application you use, to justify it.
>
> A year ago I priced the parts for business-grade white box systems on
> newegg.com. All the parts came to $300. All name-brand good parts.
> Here's what it included;
>
> Midrange AMD CPU
> ASUS mobo with on-board video/LAN/sound
> Case/PSU
> 256MB memory
> Good 40GB disk
> Floppy
> CD burner & burning software
>
> NO OS (add $90 for XP/Home)
>
> You already have monitor/kbd/mouse. You _may_ have OS software.

Like I said, all I need is the box/power supply, mobo, cpu and memory. I
have everything else. I primarily use my computer for gaming and I want to
upgrade from my current AMD Athlon XP running at 1.15gig (can't get the bus
speed over 100mhz but that's a whole 'nuther thread) on a Biostar M7VIG Pro
mobo and 1 gig of SDRAM.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 11:08:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> new case
> $91 Antec Black with 350W PS
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> motherboard
> $129 Epox 9NDA3+
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&de...
> 222
>
> CPU
> $146 Athlon 64 3000+
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> memory (1 gig)
> $142 Mushkin PC3200
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> TOTAL $508 shipped
> It's so easy to spend other people's money ;)

Thanks for the reply. I will save this one to consider.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2005 11:11:43 PM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the price
> tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well then
> that's a horse of a different color.

What I use the computer for is pretty irrelivant. Obviously, I want to get
the best bang for my $500. To me, this means the fastest mobo/cpu/memory
combination for the money. I already have the video/sound/harddrive, etc...
that I need.
January 7, 2005 11:11:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> What I use the computer for is pretty irrelivant.

I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
irrelevant.

carry on wayward son

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > the other posts say nothing of gaming......which will change the
price
> > tag in a hefty way. What games?, pacman? no worries....SOF? well
then
> > that's a horse of a different color.
> Obviously, I want to get
> the best bang for my $500. To me, this means the fastest
mobo/cpu/memory
> combination for the money. I already have the video/sound/harddrive,
etc...
> that I need.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2005 12:15:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

jacoby:

> There you go. That would be the deal. I have been using the Mushkin
> memory in my 1 gig builds. Nice bang for the buck.

I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.

The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
> premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
> too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.
>
> The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
> will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 megs. Works well, but nowhere near it's potential
with my current config.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2005 12:15:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> I haven't tried the inexpensive Mushkin stuff that Newegg sells, but their
> premium stuff is as good as any and better than most. Hell of a company
> too... the *best* customer service of any online company I've dealt with.
>
> The guy mentioned gaming, hopefully he has a nice video card already or he
> will have to scale back to something like an XP2500.
> --
> Mac Cool

That is about as cheap as it gets for a gig of quality dual channel ram.
The high performance sticks will eat into his budget, and will have to cut
cost elsewhere. Maybe the case, but a decent case will normally last through
a few upgrades.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2005 12:17:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

JAD:

> SOF? well then that's a horse of a different color.

camo?

--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Andy in NJ:

> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>> motherboard
>> $129 Epox 9NDA3+
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&de...
>> 23- 222

> Thanks for the reply. I will save this one to consider.

Forgot to mention that I think this motherboard will be good for
overclocking if you want to go that way.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

> I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
> or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
> you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
> it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
> irrelevant.

*sigh*

I have $500. I want the fastest, most stable mobo/CPU/RAM combo for the
cost. Just looking for opinions on which ones fit this bill. I am no expert
in this field, but I do know more than the 'Got a Dell with AOL' new guy,
which is why I posted here.
January 9, 2005 12:48:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO USE A
MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?

caps is so you don't fall asleep. *sigh*
Granted, you have 'pretty' good odds it will work, but the info would
definitely help those who are responding.
I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what that
may be. SO it would be a matter of 'just tell me what the best barebones I
can buy for x amount of dollars'?

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > I see, so with your thinking I should buy a $2000 machine for email
> > or $400 machine to do video editing or play current games. Although
> > you did say you were keeping your video card you never mentioned what
> > it was, Its not a one size fits all world. 'Use' is hardly
> > irrelevant.
>
> *sigh*
>
> I have $500. I want the fastest, most stable mobo/CPU/RAM combo for the
> cost. Just looking for opinions on which ones fit this bill. I am no
expert
> in this field, but I do know more than the 'Got a Dell with AOL' new guy,
> which is why I posted here.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2005 8:31:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

JAD:

> HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO
> USE A MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?
> I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what
> that may be. ...

He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

On 9 Jan 2005 05:31:38 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>JAD:
>
>> HOW CAN SOMEONE GIVE YOU ADVICE ON A MOTHERBOARD THAT YOU INTEND TO
>> USE A MYSTERIOUS VIDEO CARD IN?
>> I may add you failed once again to inform the masses here as to what
>> that may be. ...
>
>He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...

You have a spycam pointed at him?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 1:16:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
> is a high quality one, like an Antec or
> Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
> really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
> 700W model may not be enough.

I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
only thing I'm not sure about.

> It's completely relevant because if you mostly play games from a CD/DVD
> or do intensive CAD, video, or audio work, you want the fastest CPU and
> graphics, but if you're using the computer just for Internet, business,
> or wordprocessing, a 200 MHz CPU and the world's slowest graphics card
> are more than enough and you should instead be more concerned about
> reliability (UPS, RAID HDs, second computer for backups). I have no
> idea what's needed for Internet gaming.

I don't need a graphics card. I have one that is fine for my applications. A
200 MHZ CPU would not be "just fine" because I'm not looking for "just
fine". I'm just interested in the fastest, most reliable mobo/cpu/memory
combination for the money. I don't care if it's overkill for what I may be
using the computer for. I didn't ask what people thought was appropriate for
a particular application, but rather, I asked what I could get with that
amount of money. I've gotten some good replies so far and I appretiate
those.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 3:41:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

kony:

>>He has a 9600Pro. Guess how I knew that...
>
> You have a spycam pointed at him?

Well yeah, but that's not how I knew ;)

Actually he mentioned the video card in his first or second reply.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:16:48 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>"larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> You may need a new PSU, and 400W is more than enough, provided the PSU
>> is a high quality one, like an Antec or
>> Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/PowerQ/Powerman/Aopen/Trend (www.newegg.com can be
>> really cheap for the latter). But if it's low quality PSU, then even a
>> 700W model may not be enough.
>
>I intended on getting a power supply with the case that I will buy with this
>setup. I didn't think I'd have to mention that. I figured cases came
>standard with power supplies. The actual rating (400w, 500w, etc) is the
>only thing I'm not sure about.

Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
omission of saftety features.

Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
more, >=17A.
January 10, 2005 2:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to assemble
a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the gaming
performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.

The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig HD
and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing you
omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will make as
much or more importance than the processor.

"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>I am in the market to do a little upgrading of my computer and I was
>wondering if I could get some advice. A reply directly to my email would be
>prefered, but you can reply here if you want.
>
> I have $500 to spend. I want to get a new case, motherboard, CPU and
> memory (1 gig). Everything else is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I
> don't know exactly what I want at this point, but what would you recommend
> based on that budget and knowing which items I need to buy?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 2:44:52 PM

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Many/most cases do come with power supplies, but almost
> every generic PSU that comes with a case is vastly
> overrated, has lower than labeled actual capacity. Come to
> think of it I don't recall ANY modern generic
> comes-with-case PSU that are worth more than 330W sustained,
> which is borderline for a modern system even ignoring
> omission of saftety features.
>
> Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
> seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
> build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
> more, >=17A.

I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
9600 Pro video card...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 6:01:45 PM

"Rod" <rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a Soltek Mobo, Ever Case Gaming case, 1 Gig Muskin PC3200 and
>AMD Athlon 64 3000+ along with some other components from NewEgg to
>assemble a PC for my son's up coming B-day and I'm very impressed with the
>gaming performance, quietness, and cool operating temperature of this unit.
>
> The above mentioned components run 418 shipped, but I also had an 80 Gig
> HD and a Geforce 6600GT video card as well. The video card is one thing
> you omitted on your need list. And since your wanting to game, it will
> make as much or more importance than the processor.

Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.
January 10, 2005 7:39:58 PM

> Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
> memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
> replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.

Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.

But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 10:49:03 PM

> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
> something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
> simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and
> the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro
> setup in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
>
> But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

*sigh*

You guys provide great advice and you've given me many different setups to
consider and I appretiate it. Just don't read too much into the post. :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 1:00:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:44:52 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST
DOT NET> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Buy a name-brand power supply, whether it comes in a case or
>> seperate. The majority of the load is on 12V rail for a new
>> build, choose a unit with at least 14A 12V, but preferribly
>> more, >=17A.
>

>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>9600 Pro video card...

Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
blame other things as the cause.
I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 5:21:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,

Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
important, but some of you guys need therapy.
January 11, 2005 5:21:31 AM

"Gary Newman" <garyman@hotmale.org> wrote in message
>> Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However,
>
> Give the guy a break, there have been about two replies that answered the
> guy's question and everyone else is just hounding him and asking him
> stupid questions that were already answered. Yeah, power supplies are
> important, but some of you guys need therapy.

Ok, So if a guy wants to know if jumping off of a cliff will get him to the
bottom, should everyone just say "yes" and not suggest taking the stairs?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 9:05:11 AM

at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>9600 Pro video card...

Sure, and systems used less power in the past, and that
power was more evenly distrubuted on 5V & 12V rails. Just
trying to be helpful, I throw away piles of generics because
they're not even worth fixing.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 9:06:40 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:00:33 GMT, IDIDIT <VISCH@EVASION.COM>
wrote:

>>I've had people putting together custom computers for me since 1997 and
>>they've always used the power supply that came with the case. I've never had
>>a problem. Currently running an AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 gig ram, ATI Radeon
>>9600 Pro video card...
>>

>Add the word YET regarding a problem. Then again maybe you have and
>blame other things as the cause.
>I personaly would rather have a rock solid PS than the bragging rights
>to items that work flaky because of a weak PS. GOOD LUCK

Something else not-so-obvious to some is that a marginal
power supply may kill other parts yet remain working. If a
video card, motherboard or HDD dies, will the owner blame
the correct part?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 9:26:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.built,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:39:58 -0600, "Rod"
<rmarch@cable_removeme_one.net> wrote:

>"Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote in message
>> Like my original post said, I only need the case/power supply, mobo and
>> memory. Everything else that I'm currently using doesn't need to be
>> replaced. I will keep those items you mentioned in mind.
>>

>Yeah, I know you said that is all you needed. However, if you have
>something like a 9700Pro ATI or FX5900 video card, Your new system will
>simply be mediocre. I know, I have a P4 3.06 with an ATI 9700 Pro, and the
>AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with the 6600GT video card smokes the P4/9700Pro setup
>in Games and 3D benchmark program I've run on either.
>
>But otherwise, the hardware I mentioned, I'm very pleased with.

The proposed $500 budget was already thin, no way to squeeze
in the video card unless it's the only thing replaced, since
the CPU & mobo kinda go together as a pair.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 2:07:56 PM

<manny@london.com> wrote in message
> Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
>
> It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
> in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
> and pretty.

I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
people are just reading too much into the original post.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 7:22:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:07:56 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

><manny@london.com> wrote in message
>> Why are you asking if you have that much experience?
>>
>> It's obvious you're a lightweight who's more interested
>> in fluff than substance, so just get something nice
>> and pretty.
>
>I don't have "that much experience", but I know (in general) what I need, so
>I'm asking for very specific parts. The rest of the computer is not that
>important as those parts will work with whatever people recommend here. Some
>people are just reading too much into the original post.

Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
might try those as well.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 11:15:55 PM

> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
> might try those as well.

Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
newsgroup that I crossposted to.
January 13, 2005 12:30:28 AM

Andy in NJ wrote:
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>>are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>>might try those as well.
>

> Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
> each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
> people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
> every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
> newsgroup that I crossposted to.

The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to cross-post!

Post to one group at a time and only one group only!

Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2005 9:58:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>> might try those as well.
>
>Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have to check
>each and every one of those newsgroups for replies. Crossposting allows
>people that read each of those newsgroups to reply, since not everyone reads
>every one of those newsgroups. My topic is broad enough to cover each
>newsgroup that I crossposted to.

Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
wasting your own time, too.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2005 10:37:04 AM

Dee wrote:
> Andy in NJ wrote:
>> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>> two and sticking with it for a while. Web-oriented forums
>>> are a good way to find details of particular boards, you
>>> might try those as well.
>>
>> Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will have
>> to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.
>> Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups to
>> reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups. My
>> topic is broad enough to cover each newsgroup that I crossposted
>> to.
>>
> The point you're missing is that it is not proper etiquette to
> cross-post! Post to one group at a time and only one group only!
>
> Don't post to a whole bunch of groups at the same time!!!

He can cross post to a reasonable selection, provided he sets
follow-ups to a single group immediately, i.e. on the initial
posting. That way he gets a response from a wider group (which I
presume to be the objective) and limits discussion to a single
group. Once a thread is widely cross-posted it tends to fill up
with kooks and various OT nonsense, and to become an interminable
nuisance.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net&gt; USE worldnet address!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2005 11:06:11 AM

kony wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:15:55 -0500, "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS
>at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

>>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Andy, the odds are MUCH higher that you're going to get
>>> negative replies when you crosspost. Try picking a group or
>>> two and sticking with it for a while.

I agree with this...

>>Then again, if I post once on each of the newsgroups, I will
>>have to check each and every one of those newsgroups for replies.

This isn't a problem if you only post to one or two groups.

>>Crossposting allows people that read each of those newsgroups
>>to reply, since not everyone reads every one of those newsgroups.

This is actually a problem when you crosspost to more than,
say, 2 newsgroups. For whatever reasons, the chances of
starting a silly argument goes way up when you crosspost.
Perhaps it's because people who normally wouldn't be reading
each other's opinionated posts do so. Within a newsgroup,
a particular argument might have been hashed over many times
already.

>>My topic is broad enough to cover each
>>newsgroup that I crossposted to.

You would have done much better to only post to homebuilt
and pc-homebuilt.

home-designed is naturally going to look down upon you for
not going with a "real" custom system.

alt.comp.hardware is too broad--you don't post to a broad
group if a subgroup applies. Otherwise, EVERY post to a
subgroup would be crossposted to the broader parent group.
Does that make any sense?

As it is, a.c.h.homebuilt and a.c.h.pc-homebuilt are basically
redundant and in a "non-alt" world would be just a single
newsgroup. However, the alt hierarchy is more of an anarchy
than a hierarchy, so...

>Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
>less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
>your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
>haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
>groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
>post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
>nothing-in-particular" threads.

I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
the best deals.

>Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.

For most people, putting together a new computer is a
significant investment in money and/or time. It's
natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
along in this time.

Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

Isaac Kuo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2005 6:16:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

kony:

> Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't post "hey gang be my
> personal shopper for nothing-in-particular" threads.

Wait, I thought we were reading the same newsgroups... maybe not.
;)

--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 13 Jan 2005 08:06:11 -0800, "IsaacKuo"
<mechdan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
>>less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
>>your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
>>haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
>>groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
>>post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
>>nothing-in-particular" threads.
>
>I don't see anything wrong with "be my personal shopper"
>threads, at least on homebuilt/pc-homebuilt. Computer
>hardware prices change far too quickly for a search of
>threads older than a couple weeks to be useful for finding
>the best deals.

Consider that dozens of thousands of PCs are bought every
day. How many of those buyers DON'T want the best thing for
X amt. of $ ? The difference is generally that they do a
bit of research into their personal needs BEFORE looking for
specific advice, narrowing down the choices rather than at
the beginning of the whole process.

>>Get on with it, you're wasting your own time, too.
>
>For most people, putting together a new computer is a
>significant investment in money and/or time. It's
>natural to want to do it right and not feel burned by
>a hasty decision. Crazy as it might seem to you, it's
>not insane to research a complex purchasing decision
>for a few weeks, especially if a great deal might come
>along in this time.
>
>Just looking at Fry's Outpost alone, their mobo/cpu combos
>change prices on a weekly basis--in both directions.

Yes, and again, where would it end? It's not at all crazy
to research, but that's exactly what the OP did not do,
instead... or at least no evidence of it, no details to
narrow the alternatives or anything like that except what
seems a budget where he's trying to get us to help him save
a couple bucks. In moderation, it's a reasonable thing.
When it involves occupying multiple newsgroups for a generic
question with no prior legwork, it's excessive, IMO.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2005 9:56:57 AM

> Your topic is broad enough that you should've been a bit
> less lazy, doing the legwork like everyone else. Instead,
> your post has been answered sufficiently but it seems you
> haven't built the system, just wasted the resources of the
> groups posted to. Newsgroups work because everyone doesn't
> post "hey gang be my personal shopper for
> nothing-in-particular" threads. Get on with it, you're
> wasting your own time, too.

So asking others for their opinions on a newsgroup isn't "legwork"? You're
right I haven't bought the system. Unlike you, I don't have all the free
time in the world to immediately run out and buy what I need. I will be
buying something soon, probably as a result of the helpful replies I
received.
!