Can a CPU kill a motherboard?

I ask because I have the same problem with 2 different brand mobo's. The
first was running, then suddenly died. I put the CPU in another mobo and
have the exact same problem.

This is all I can think of. Can it happen that way?

Thanks,
TFM®

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:53:46 GMT, "TFM®"
<horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>I ask because I have the same problem with 2 different brand mobo's. The
>first was running, then suddenly died. I put the CPU in another mobo and
>have the exact same problem.
>
>This is all I can think of. Can it happen that way?
>
>Thanks,
>TFM®

The problem is that it IMMEDIATELY died or did so
eventually?

It's possible for a CPU to kill a board, though very
uncommon. If it happened immediately it would seem more
likely (presuming you did std. troubleshooting like testing
power supply, clearing CMOS, etc) but if it happened later,
that the 2nd system was running the CPU ok for a while, I'd
look elsewhere than the CPU.

kony wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:53:46 GMT, "TFM®"
> <horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I ask because I have the same problem with 2 different brand mobo's.
>> The first was running, then suddenly died. I put the CPU in another
>> mobo and have the exact same problem.
>>
>> This is all I can think of. Can it happen that way?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TFM®
>>

> The problem is that it IMMEDIATELY died or did so
> eventually?
>
> It's possible for a CPU to kill a board, though very
> uncommon. If it happened immediately it would seem more
> likely (presuming you did std. troubleshooting like testing
> power supply, clearing CMOS, etc) but if it happened later,
> that the 2nd system was running the CPU ok for a while, I'd
> look elsewhere than the CPU.

I had a new ECS board and a used AMD XP 1800+ CPU.

It booted initially, I formatted a 20 gig drive and was in the process of
installing Windows XP Pro.

It hung at 55% on file copying. I hit the reset button and it never came
back to life. No beeps, no post, just drives and fans.

Then I swapped the motherboard with an Asus. Same problem.

Then I got another CPU. Same problem.

I'm stumped.

TFM®

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:24:28 GMT, "TFM®"
<horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> The problem is that it IMMEDIATELY died or did so
>> eventually?
>>
>> It's possible for a CPU to kill a board, though very
>> uncommon. If it happened immediately it would seem more
>> likely (presuming you did std. troubleshooting like testing
>> power supply, clearing CMOS, etc) but if it happened later,
>> that the 2nd system was running the CPU ok for a while, I'd
>> look elsewhere than the CPU.
>

>I had a new ECS board and a used AMD XP 1800+ CPU.

Well all bets are off with ECS, the board could've simply
been defective on a hardware level, in which case *anything*
could happen.

>It booted initially, I formatted a 20 gig drive and was in the process of
>installing Windows XP Pro.
>
>It hung at 55% on file copying. I hit the reset button and it never came
>back to life. No beeps, no post, just drives and fans.

Decent or junk power supply?

>Then I swapped the motherboard with an Asus. Same problem.

Same power supply?
Same issue of being able to POST, start installing and
_then_ it died?

>Then I got another CPU. Same problem.
>
>I'm stumped.

I'd focus on the Asus board, or has it already been
(previously) proven to be working?

kony wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:24:28 GMT, "TFM®"
> <horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>> The problem is that it IMMEDIATELY died or did so
>>> eventually?
>>>
>>> It's possible for a CPU to kill a board, though very
>>> uncommon. If it happened immediately it would seem more
>>> likely (presuming you did std. troubleshooting like testing
>>> power supply, clearing CMOS, etc) but if it happened later,
>>> that the 2nd system was running the CPU ok for a while, I'd
>>> look elsewhere than the CPU.
>>

>> I had a new ECS board and a used AMD XP 1800+ CPU.
>
> Well all bets are off with ECS, the board could've simply
> been defective on a hardware level, in which case *anything*
> could happen.
>

>> It booted initially, I formatted a 20 gig drive and was in the
>> process of installing Windows XP Pro.
>>
>> It hung at 55% on file copying. I hit the reset button and it never
>> came back to life. No beeps, no post, just drives and fans.
>
> Decent or junk power supply?

Good power supply. I even tried another one from a working system.
Nada.

>> Then I swapped the motherboard with an Asus. Same problem.
>
> Same power supply?
> Same issue of being able to POST, start installing and
> _then_ it died?

No post. Drives fire up, fans spin. Green led on on the mobo.

>> Then I got another CPU. Same problem.
>>
>> I'm stumped.
>
> I'd focus on the Asus board, or has it already been
> (previously) proven to be working?

Bought it on Ebay. Seller had 100% positive feedback and assured me
the board was working.

TFM®

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:30:10 GMT, "TFM®"
<horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> I'd focus on the Asus board, or has it already been
>> (previously) proven to be working?
>
> Bought it on Ebay. Seller had 100% positive feedback and assured me
>the board was working.

In a recent thread I'd noted that at least one other Asus
board needs a good battery to post. You might check the
battery and/or replace it... or at least try swapping
batteries between both boards.

Most likely got spiked on the first & now it won't matter where you try it
because it's toast.
Just for your interest I had a power supply went crazy & fried EVERYTHING
except the floppy.
(memory, sound card, video card, DVD player, CD player, motherboard, modem
as well & of course the power supply!!!)
Don't let anyone tell you it can't happen......... I still got the burning
smell in my room.

"TFM®" <horndawg@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I ask because I have the same problem with 2 different brand mobo's. The
> first was running, then suddenly died. I put the CPU in another mobo and
> have the exact same problem.
>
> This is all I can think of. Can it happen that way?
>
> Thanks,
> TFM®

Just a thought, but try booting with just the floppy and no hard drive
connected.

Connecting A Floppy drive without a hard drive (or load resistor on +12
Volts) is a no-no. The Power supply will not have enough load. One of
three things can happen in an underload condition:
1. Power supply switches in resistors to get to the minimum load.
2. Power supply trips off.
3. Power supply Self-Destructs.
A good power supply will do number 1, an ok Power supply will most likely do
number 2, and anything that does number 3 should not be on the market.