Comparing an AMD to an Intel...

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2005 3:41:40 AM

Hello Group, I'm wondering how an AMD Athlon xp2500 chip compares with an
Intel p4 2.2 Ghz.

Are they similar in processing speed????

Wondering??? As a friend received one for Christmas and he currently has an
Intel p4-2.2 Ghz machine.

Starz_Kid...

More about : comparing amd intel

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2005 11:28:02 AM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:41:40 -0500, "Starz_Kid"
<Starz_Kid@anon.org> wrote:

>Hello Group, I'm wondering how an AMD Athlon xp2500 chip compares with an
>Intel p4 2.2 Ghz.
>
>Are they similar in processing speed????

Somewhat.
The Athlon is faster at just about anything but video
editing and a few few other SSE3 optimized apps, and MUCH
faster at older software.

>Wondering??? As a friend received one for Christmas and he currently has an
>Intel p4-2.2 Ghz machine.
>
>Starz_Kid...

It's not as though it'd be a huge upgrade, one might
consider if the swapping parts, installing or reconfiguring
OS, etc, are worthwhile. On the other hand if the boxes are
potentially overclockable, put the horses at the gate and
start the race...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2005 3:29:03 PM

"Starz_Kid" <Starz_Kid@anon.org> wrote...
> Hello Group, I'm wondering how an AMD Athlon xp2500 chip compares with an
> Intel p4 2.2 Ghz.
>
> Are they similar in processing speed????

Yes.

You can fire up your benchmark of choice, or actually run and time some software
routines of your own. If you can't tell much difference, it doesn't matter!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2005 3:47:01 AM

Starz_Kid:

> I'm wondering how an AMD Athlon xp2500 chip compares with an
> Intel p4 2.2 Ghz.
>
> Are they similar in processing speed????
>
> Wondering??? As a friend received one for Christmas and he currently
> has an Intel p4-2.2 Ghz machine.

They are similiar enough that it would be a waste of time and money to
upgrade, IMHO.
--
Mac Cool
January 11, 2005 3:54:49 PM

wrote:

>Hello Group, I'm wondering how an AMD Athlon xp2500 chip compares with an
>Intel p4 2.2 Ghz.
>
>Are they similar in processing speed????

average processing speed in real clock per clock:
on my site under comp/benches 2nd "new" link ..
--
Regards & Happy New Year Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##