Hi all
I see that there are 2 amd 64 sockets available the 754 and 939.
What is the difference and which should I get? Also how long until PCI-e
interface boards become more available and hopefully cheaper, I have seen
only a few for around £120 while there are many more intel boards for less?
Would it be better to get an intel board now and a p4?

Thanks
Andy

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:28:22 GMT, "joanne grint"
<joanne.grint@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>I see that there are 2 amd 64 sockets available the 754 and 939.
>What is the difference and which should I get?

185 pins?
939 is newer, potentially longer viable life.

> Also how long until PCI-e
>interface boards become more available and hopefully cheaper, I have seen
>only a few for around £120 while there are many more intel boards for less?
>Would it be better to get an intel board now and a p4?

PCI-E nforce4 boards are coming out any/every day now,
haven't been watching close enough to tell you if every
major board manufacturer has one in the market yet or not,
but they're coming.

If your most demanding use(s) of the system are shown to run
faster with a P4, born out by benchmarks of the same
application versions (old app versions don't necessarily
apply), then the P4 is a better buy if you don't mind the
extra heat & power requirements. Intel chipset motherboards
have been among the best year after year, though the
differences are fewer these days with everyone else's USB2
and SATA being more mature now.

I'd get the nForce4, it's not like you'll get a good P4
based board for dirt-cheap either. Prices will drop, all a
matter of how long you want to wait... is never cheap buying
into the latest/fastest technology.

Dee

The 939 pin CPU supports dual channel memory traffic. The 754 pin does
not, only single channel.

Dee wrote:

> The 939 pin CPU supports dual channel memory traffic. The 754 pin does
> not, only single channel.

But, some 754 CPUs have 1MB cache, only the FX processors have them in 939
CPUs. That more than makes up for the lack of dual channel.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Dee wrote:
>
>> The 939 pin CPU supports dual channel memory traffic. The 754 pin does
>> not, only single channel.
>
> But, some 754 CPUs have 1MB cache, only the FX processors have them in 939
> CPUs. That more than makes up for the lack of dual channel.

no the Athlon 4000 has the same 1Mb 2nd level cache

Paul H wrote:

> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>> Dee wrote:
>>
>>> The 939 pin CPU supports dual channel memory traffic. The 754 pin does
>>> not, only single channel.
>>
>> But, some 754 CPUs have 1MB cache, only the FX processors have them in
>> 939 CPUs. That more than makes up for the lack of dual channel.
>>

> no the Athlon 4000 has the same 1Mb 2nd level cache

No, so does the 3200+ and 3700+ in socket 754 packaging:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

TRENDING THREADS