Wireless router question

Mac

I want to buy a wireless router. I am confused about the difference between
the 108 mbps routers and the linksys 54g with speed booster 35% higher.

It seems that this linksys 54g 35% speed booster is the faster they have,
but I see many other brand 108 mbps routers.... the linksys would be: 54 *
1.35 = 73 mbps; which is much lesser than 108 mbps....

It seems that linksys seems to be the most "solid" router, however it does
not advertise 108 mbps....

Can someone explain this speed question?

Thanks,
mac

"mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote...
>I want to buy a wireless router. I am confused about the difference between
>the 108 mbps routers and the linksys 54g with speed booster 35% higher.
>
> It seems that this linksys 54g 35% speed booster is the faster they have, but
> I see many other brand 108 mbps routers.... the linksys would be: 54 * 1.35 =
> 73 mbps; which is much lesser than 108 mbps....
>
> It seems that linksys seems to be the most "solid" router, however it does not
> advertise 108 mbps....

The short answer is that Linksys' claim is much closer to reality.

The 54 and 108 Mbps figures are the max theoretical bandwidth for the 802.11g
and the bandwidth "doubling" techniques used by the various mfgrs. You will
almost NEVER see that actual bandwidth in reality, especially since bandwidth is
very sensitive to distance between devices.

OTOH, the claim that you will see a 35% increase in bandwidth compared with a
basic 802.11g system in an identical setup is a fair claim. The downside is
that all your wireless NICs must be compatible (e.g., all are Linksys
"Speedbooster" devices with the "GS" suffix on the model numbers), which means
an increase in cost over a basic setup. If you plan on doing many large file
transfers between systems, the Speedbooster system may be worth the extra cost.
If you are using the wireless LAN ONLY to get Internet service to your laptop,
it probably won't be worth the cost.

HOWEVER, the newer systems will support the newer WPA encryption standard, while
the low-cost earlier systems will likely support 128-bit WEP at best. If
security is a concern, spend the $$ for the new stuff, and get both benefits.

In article <h5dEd.7326$Vj3.4186@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, mac
says...
> I want to buy a wireless router. I am confused about the difference between
> the 108 mbps routers and the linksys 54g with speed booster 35% higher.
>
> It seems that this linksys 54g 35% speed booster is the faster they have,
> but I see many other brand 108 mbps routers.... the linksys would be: 54 *
> 1.35 = 73 mbps; which is much lesser than 108 mbps....
>
> It seems that linksys seems to be the most "solid" router, however it does
> not advertise 108 mbps....
>
> Can someone explain this speed question?

Its all marketing bollocks. Allegedly by using the right kit you'll get
108Mbps but the reality is that it doesn't work. Indeed to get 54Mbps
out of a 54g wifi connection both the router and wifi card need to be
sat on top of each other. Throw in a few walls, a digital cordless
phone and the speed soon drops.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:37:33 GMT, "mac" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>I want to buy a wireless router. I am confused about the difference between
>the 108 mbps routers and the linksys 54g with speed booster 35% higher.
>
>It seems that this linksys 54g 35% speed booster is the faster they have,
>but I see many other brand 108 mbps routers.... the linksys would be: 54 *
>1.35 = 73 mbps; which is much lesser than 108 mbps....
>
>It seems that linksys seems to be the most "solid" router, however it does
>not advertise 108 mbps....
>
>Can someone explain this speed question?
>
>Thanks,
>mac

checkout the D-Link DI-624.... for wireless router. Mine has worked
very well.

I think there is a newer version that supports additional
protocols...I've not kept up with the ever-changing world.

I would not hesitate to reccomend a D-Link product... they even answer
email support questions.

I'm not sure what the speed issue is... I believe someone described
it as a properitarty setup with the D-link devices. THe DI-624
connects with your computer wireless at 108 mps once you update the
drivers.

---
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net