Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2005 2:53:52 PM

I have a friends PC at my house to check out. It would not boot, no
activity, (Power supply fan not turning) no post no nothing. I had a 235
watt power supply laying around and replaced the 250 watt that was in the
PC. The 235 I put in powers up but still no post, no beeps, no nothing. Is
it possible that the 235 is not enough watts? I also disconnected the 2 cd
drives and just left the HD and floppy connected, still no post or beeps.

Thanks,

Brian

More about : emaching power supply

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2005 9:26:22 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0600, "Brian Cloutier"
<lancerdad34@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a friends PC at my house to check out. It would not boot, no
>activity, (Power supply fan not turning) no post no nothing. I had a 235
>watt power supply laying around and replaced the 250 watt that was in the
>PC. The 235 I put in powers up but still no post, no beeps, no nothing. Is
>it possible that the 235 is not enough watts? I also disconnected the 2 cd
>drives and just left the HD and floppy connected, still no post or beeps.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian

253W should be enough for an eMachine in stock
configuration, but based upon the rail distribution, how
many amps per each voltage, two different power supplies of
even same wattage may not be able to power the same system.

Then there's the issue of generics, that a generic power
supply may not actually be worth it's labeled wattage. When
in doubt it "might" help to take voltage readings with a
multimeter, though it's still possible a marinal power
supply might not POST a system but left "running" the power
might've stabilized, read ok voltage levels just not fast
enough to run the system.

Check the battery, clear the CMOS, if you have doubts about
power and have another power supply handy, try it too.
Examine the board for failed capacitors. Does the system
attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a solid-on
floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on
and floppy motor runs?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2005 1:25:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am picking up a 350 watt PS Monday and will let you
know what happens.

Brian

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0600, "Brian Cloutier"
> <lancerdad34@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a friends PC at my house to check out. It would not boot, no
>>activity, (Power supply fan not turning) no post no nothing. I had a 235
>>watt power supply laying around and replaced the 250 watt that was in the
>>PC. The 235 I put in powers up but still no post, no beeps, no nothing.
>>Is
>>it possible that the 235 is not enough watts? I also disconnected the 2
>>cd
>>drives and just left the HD and floppy connected, still no post or beeps.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Brian
>>

> 253W should be enough for an eMachine in stock
> configuration, but based upon the rail distribution, how
> many amps per each voltage, two different power supplies of
> even same wattage may not be able to power the same system.
>
> Then there's the issue of generics, that a generic power
> supply may not actually be worth it's labeled wattage. When
> in doubt it "might" help to take voltage readings with a
> multimeter, though it's still possible a marinal power
> supply might not POST a system but left "running" the power
> might've stabilized, read ok voltage levels just not fast
> enough to run the system.
>
> Check the battery, clear the CMOS, if you have doubts about
> power and have another power supply handy, try it too.
> Examine the board for failed capacitors. Does the system
> attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a solid-on
> floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on
> and floppy motor runs?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2005 3:23:09 PM

Tried new power supply. Nothing going on. Even took out ram still no
beeps! Bad CPU?

thanks,

Brian

"Brian Cloutier" <lancerdad34@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. I am picking up a 350 watt PS Monday and will let
> you know what happens.
>
> Brian
>
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0600, "Brian Cloutier"
>> <lancerdad34@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a friends PC at my house to check out. It would not boot, no
>>>activity, (Power supply fan not turning) no post no nothing. I had a 235
>>>watt power supply laying around and replaced the 250 watt that was in the
>>>PC. The 235 I put in powers up but still no post, no beeps, no nothing.
>>>Is
>>>it possible that the 235 is not enough watts? I also disconnected the 2
>>>cd
>>>drives and just left the HD and floppy connected, still no post or beeps.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Brian
>>>

>> 253W should be enough for an eMachine in stock
>> configuration, but based upon the rail distribution, how
>> many amps per each voltage, two different power supplies of
>> even same wattage may not be able to power the same system.
>>
>> Then there's the issue of generics, that a generic power
>> supply may not actually be worth it's labeled wattage. When
>> in doubt it "might" help to take voltage readings with a
>> multimeter, though it's still possible a marinal power
>> supply might not POST a system but left "running" the power
>> might've stabilized, read ok voltage levels just not fast
>> enough to run the system.
>>
>> Check the battery, clear the CMOS, if you have doubts about
>> power and have another power supply handy, try it too.
>> Examine the board for failed capacitors. Does the system
>> attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a solid-on
>> floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on
>> and floppy motor runs?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2005 9:11:13 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:23:09 -0600, "Brian Cloutier"
<sportsdadmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Tried new power supply. Nothing going on. Even took out ram still no
>beeps! Bad CPU?

Unless heatsink fell off or ran without fan, the CPU
generally doesn't die first, the motherboard is far more
likely. If you feel you've limited it to those two then
it's time to try swapping parts around.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2005 12:20:32 PM

>. Does the system attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a
>solid-on
> floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on and floppy
> motor runs?

What does it mean when the floppy light stays on solid??
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2005 6:35:55 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:20:32 -0600, "Bruce Benette"
<bbenette@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>. Does the system attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a
>>solid-on
>> floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on and floppy
>> motor runs?
>
>What does it mean when the floppy light stays on solid??

Either the floppy cable is backwards, or the power supply is
malfunctioning.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2005 6:35:56 PM

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:20:32 -0600, "Bruce Benette"
> <bbenette@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>. Does the system attempt to access the floppy drive? Not just a
>>>solid-on
>>> floppy light but after a moment of being off, it comes on and floppy
>>> motor runs?
>>
>>What does it mean when the floppy light stays on solid??
>>

> Either the floppy cable is backwards, or the power supply is
> malfunctioning.

I figured the cable was backwards, if I flip it around light never comes on,
the only thing I get is hard drive access for a few seconds then nothing.
Any ideas???
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2005 10:28:52 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:36:32 -0600, "Bruce Benette"
<bbenette@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

>>>What does it mean when the floppy light stays on solid??
>>>

>> Either the floppy cable is backwards, or the power supply is
>> malfunctioning.
>
>I figured the cable was backwards, if I flip it around light never comes on,
>the only thing I get is hard drive access for a few seconds then nothing.
>Any ideas???

Insufficient info.
"Only thing" means no video on monitor, no POST?
Any beeps?

What does "hard drive access" mean exactly? IDE light is
on, hard drive seek noises, or something else?

Generally it is best to start a new thread with a concise
description of the system and steps taken so far.

A wild guess would be that you should strip system down to
minimal parts and see if what' left works, adding back parts
one at a time.
!