Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3 control panels. Suggestions please. Enough buttons?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:33:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Ok, I think i've decided to go with three control panels (swappable)
and need some feedback on them. Note that these are just the tops of
my panels. The 1-up, 2-up, and a few misc other buttons will be on
the base of the panel.

1rst panel is standard fighter type. 1 4/8-way joy and 1 8-way. 7
buttons apiece.

2nd panel is for driving and spinner games. Two spinners. Three
buttons per spinner (for gas, break, and shift (for car games)
maybe?). MIGHT make one of the spinners the type that acts as a
button (for discs of tron). Panel also will have an 8-way with the
botton on top.

3rd panel is for trackball games. Two trackballs. Three buttons
each.

ANY REASON to have more than 3 buttons on the spinner and trackball
panels? I can't think of any games that would need more.

Regarding my base, do I need any more than the 1-up, 2-up? I'm using
an IPAC. Do the IPAC's shift functions work with emulators other than
MAME (like the ATARI 2600 and Genesis stuff)? Maytbe I'll just
include a keyboard shelf below, just iin case, though I don't really
want to.

Thanks,
Matt
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:16:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Nothing on the # of buttons here? Please, suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:33:48 -0500, buck16 <none@oyb.com> wrote:

>Ok, I think i've decided to go with three control panels (swappable)
>and need some feedback on them. Note that these are just the tops of
>my panels. The 1-up, 2-up, and a few misc other buttons will be on
>the base of the panel.
>
>1rst panel is standard fighter type. 1 4/8-way joy and 1 8-way. 7
>buttons apiece.
>
>2nd panel is for driving and spinner games. Two spinners. Three
>buttons per spinner (for gas, break, and shift (for car games)
>maybe?). MIGHT make one of the spinners the type that acts as a
>button (for discs of tron). Panel also will have an 8-way with the
>botton on top.
>
>3rd panel is for trackball games. Two trackballs. Three buttons
>each.
>
>ANY REASON to have more than 3 buttons on the spinner and trackball
>panels? I can't think of any games that would need more.
>
>Regarding my base, do I need any more than the 1-up, 2-up? I'm using
>an IPAC. Do the IPAC's shift functions work with emulators other than
>MAME (like the ATARI 2600 and Genesis stuff)? Maytbe I'll just
>include a keyboard shelf below, just iin case, though I don't really
>want to.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:31:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

cant you fit joysticks and spinners together how are you going to play
time soldiers and tron
Related resources
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:26:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Yes, as mentioned, I will have an 8-way stick on the spinner panel.

On 26 Jul 2005 12:31:56 -0700, 2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:

>
>cant you fit joysticks and spinners together how are you going to play
>time soldiers and tron
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is a spinner game that also
uses four buttons.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:06:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On 26 Jul 2005 19:40:27 -0700, "Matt Fisher" <matthewdfisher@aol.com>
wrote:

>Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is a spinner game that also
>uses four buttons.

Hmm. Thanks! I like that game. I might have to make it 4-buttons
then!
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:04:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

buck16 wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005 19:40:27 -0700, "Matt Fisher" <matthewdfisher@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is a spinner game that also
>>uses four buttons.
>
>
> Hmm. Thanks! I like that game. I might have to make it 4-buttons
> then!

Buttons are dirt cheap, why not go with 6. THat should easily cover the
vast majority of games, other than stargate and mole attack and your
average mahjong

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!
!