nec dvd writer

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:49:17 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>hey all..
>
>any comments on the nec 3500A dvd writer?...
>
>http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3648375

Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.

There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
good drives though.

If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.

MCheu

MCheu wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:49:17 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
> <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>hey all..
>>
>>any comments on the nec 3500A dvd writer?...
>>
>>http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3648375
>

> Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
> burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
> the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
> lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
> Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.
>
> There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
> for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
> assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
> price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
> good drives though.
>
> If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
> that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
> drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.

> MCheu

which ever you choose, i can recommend sticking the RPC1 firmware on it.
removes region coding, and the 2x riplock.

ric

ric wrote:

> MCheu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:49:17 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
>> <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>>

>>> hey all..
>>>
>>> any comments on the nec 3500A dvd writer?...
>>>
>>> http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3648375
>>>

>> Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
>> burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
>> the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
>> lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
>> Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.
>>
>> There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
>> for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
>> assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
>> price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
>> good drives though.
>>
>> If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
>> that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
>> drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.

>> MCheu
>

> which ever you choose, i can recommend sticking the RPC1 firmware on it.
> removes region coding, and the 2x riplock.
>
> ric

where do i find this firmware?

this will be the first dvd unit I've bought.

MCheu wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:49:17 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
><scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>hey all..
>>
>>any comments on the nec 3500A dvd writer?...
>>
>>http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3648375
>>

>Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
>burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
>the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
>lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
>Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.
>
>There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
>for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
>assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
>price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
>good drives though.
>
>If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
>that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
>drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.

>MCheu

what's your opinion of plextor dvd drives? I've bought plextor cd drive
for years.

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> ric wrote:
>
>> MCheu wrote:

>>> Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
>>> burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
>>> the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
>>> lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
>>> Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.
>>>
>>> There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
>>> for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
>>> assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
>>> price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
>>> good drives though.
>>>
>>> If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
>>> that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
>>> drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.

>>> MCheu
>>

>> which ever you choose, i can recommend sticking the RPC1 firmware on it.
>> removes region coding, and the 2x riplock.
>>
>> ric
>

> where do i find this firmware?
>
> this will be the first dvd unit I've bought.

if you google for "RPC1 firmware NEC 3500" you should find quite a
bit...for pioneer drives The Dangerous Brothers are the guys who know
the most about it, lots of others for the NECs.

ric

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:05:27 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>ric wrote:
>

>> which ever you choose, i can recommend sticking the RPC1 firmware on it.
>> removes region coding, and the 2x riplock.
>>
>> ric
>
>where do i find this firmware?
>
>this will be the first dvd unit I've bought.

Before you get too excited, you should be aware that these firmwares
are unofficial modified firmwares and NEC might frown upon their use.
Translation: use at own risk, may void warranty, may contain peanuts.

You can find the official firmwares and the dangerous brothers
versions, which has the region code lock disabled (not sure about the
riplock) here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

If you're feeling more adventurous, there are other firmwares which
have been modified to a more extreme extent. These not only disable
the region and rip locks, but also alter the write strategy tables to
increase burn speeds and (theoretically) improve burn quality. They
tend to be experimental (ie. constantly being tinkered with), so while
the modifications DO let you burn some media faster than spec'ed, you
won't necessarily get the best results with it. That's not to say
that you can't get very good results, I'm just saying it's not
something you can count on from version to version.

You'll find several of these on cdfreaks' NEC forum:

http://www.cdfreaks.com

I'm currently using the Liggy/Dee modded firmware right now but there
are others. Just be sure to use the firmwares that were intended for
whatever drive you opt for. For example, you shouldn't use the 3520
firmware on the 3500, as there were enough hardware changes that the
firmwares aren't the same structure and are NOT interchangeable.

MCheu

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:06:47 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
<scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>what's your opinion of plextor dvd drives? I've bought plextor cd drive
>for years.

Good. Very high quality drives. I don't know if they're worth the
asking price like in the old days with their CDRW drives though. Many
of their lower priced competitors have caught up to them in features,
reliability and compatibility.

If you don't mind the sticker shock, and you avoid their older DVD
models, the Plextors are very nice drives.

MCheu

Bruce

Dilbert Firestorm <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in

> MCheu wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:49:17 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
>><scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>>

>>>hey all..
>>>
>>>any comments on the nec 3500A dvd writer?...
>>>
>>>http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masteri
>>>d=3648375
>>>

>>Very nice burner, high compatibility, good speed and high quality
>>burns with good media. About the only things left wanting are that
>>the drives are often sold totally bare without even software, and it
>>lacks PI/PO reporting, so you can't do direct error scans with it.
>>Depending on your needs, that may or may not be an issue for you.
>>
>>There's a newer model out called the 3520 that has higher burn speeds
>>for DVD?RW and DL media. It's also reported to use an improved head
>>assembly that can handle jitter compensation a bit better. If the
>>price difference is small, consider the 3520 over the 3500. Both are
>>good drives though.
>>
>>If you're looking for similar drives (usually priced a bit higher)
>>that come with software, you might consider one of the rebadged 3500
>>drives in retail packaging, or the Pioneer 108 or Pioneer 109.
>>

>>---------------------------------------------
>>
>>MCheu
>>

> what's your opinion of plextor dvd drives? I've bought plextor cd
> drive for years.

I bought a Plextor 708a retail box from newegg back in August 04 for $130
less $30 MIR. Install was easy, and I haven't had any problems. I've
been making backups of DVDs with DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, and
burning/copying audio cds.

I also bought a Plextor 712a retail box from Fry's for my dad in December
04 for $130 less $30 MIR, and installed it in his machine. I haven't
used it, so I can't comment.

Bruce

TRENDING THREADS