Abit va-10 board does not power up with internal audio/usb..

Hi,

My Abit va-10 mainboard does not power up (no internal red led on
board) when I have the internal audio connectors (FP-AUDIO1) and
usb (FP-USB1) connected properly. I verified the pin layouts match.
When they are unplugged, I can power up no problem. Does anyone
have any idea what the problem may be?

Regards,
Victor
2 answers Last reply
More about abit board power internal audio

    On 12 Jan 2005 10:09:50 -0800, "victorng"
    <victorngthowhing@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My Abit va-10 mainboard does not power up (no internal red led on
    >board) when I have the internal audio connectors (FP-AUDIO1) and
    >usb (FP-USB1) connected properly. I verified the pin layouts match.
    >When they are unplugged, I can power up no problem. Does anyone
    >have any idea what the problem may be?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Victor

    That you dont' really have them connected properly?
    I'm suggesting that just because a case (or front bay
    device) has what looks like a matching connector, doesn't
    necessarily mean it'll be electrically compatible due to
    different pin-positions.

    Isolate it, is the problem the audio or the USB?
    If both or either, keep one disconnected and focus on the
    other. A multimeter might come in handy to take voltage
    readings and confirm pinout via continuity of the front
    connector contacts.

    Consult the motherboard manual again and see if the
    connectors have color-coded wires, generally the wires
    correspond to:

    5V (vcc) = red
    Data - = white
    Data + = green
    GND = black

    As for the audio header, some have 5V on one of the pins but
    most front panels don't make use of it, yet it can still
    prevent the system from running if the wrong lead is
    connected to it, or even cause damage. Also if you've USB
    devices plugged into USB ports currently, remove them just
    in case the board were set to use 5VSB for USB, and further
    that the power supply had insufficient 5VSB capacity to
    handle all attached components, which is theoretically, an
    easy situation to cause with the number of USB ports on
    today's systems.

    Hi Kony,
    Thanks for your reply. I resolved my problem and here's how I did it
    for your interest (as well as anyone elses):

    1) I plugged in the internal usb cables to the va-10 motherboard, but
    left the front end usb end disconnected (the va-10 powered up). This
    lead me to suspect something wrong with the front end portion of the
    Antec aria board I was using.

    2) I confirmed this by plugging in another usb expansion plate with two
    internal heads into the motherboard. They worked fine.

    3) I called Antec's technical support. They were extremely helpful.
    They first suggested I try clipping wires leading to NC (pin 10). There
    was no success. Then, they simply sent me a new USB, firewire, audio
    front end plate. I replaced the one on my case and things now work
    perfectly. The problem was a defect in the front usb plate.

    Thanks!
    Victor
    kony wrote:
    > On 12 Jan 2005 10:09:50 -0800, "victorng"
    > <victorngthowhing@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >My Abit va-10 mainboard does not power up (no internal red led on
    > >board) when I have the internal audio connectors (FP-AUDIO1) and
    > >usb (FP-USB1) connected properly. I verified the pin layouts match.
    > >When they are unplugged, I can power up no problem. Does anyone
    > >have any idea what the problem may be?
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Victor
    >

    > That you dont' really have them connected properly?
    > I'm suggesting that just because a case (or front bay
    > device) has what looks like a matching connector, doesn't
    > necessarily mean it'll be electrically compatible due to
    > different pin-positions.
    >
    > Isolate it, is the problem the audio or the USB?
    > If both or either, keep one disconnected and focus on the
    > other. A multimeter might come in handy to take voltage
    > readings and confirm pinout via continuity of the front
    > connector contacts.
    >
    > Consult the motherboard manual again and see if the
    > connectors have color-coded wires, generally the wires
    > correspond to:
    >
    > 5V (vcc) = red
    > Data - = white
    > Data + = green
    > GND = black
    >
    > As for the audio header, some have 5V on one of the pins but
    > most front panels don't make use of it, yet it can still
    > prevent the system from running if the wrong lead is
    > connected to it, or even cause damage. Also if you've USB
    > devices plugged into USB ports currently, remove them just
    > in case the board were set to use 5VSB for USB, and further
    > that the power supply had insufficient 5VSB capacity to
    > handle all attached components, which is theoretically, an
    > easy situation to cause with the number of USB ports on
    > today's systems.

Homebuilt Power Up Audio USB Systems