Abit va-10 board does not power up with internal audio/usb..

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 1:09:50 PM

Hi,

My Abit va-10 mainboard does not power up (no internal red led on
board) when I have the internal audio connectors (FP-AUDIO1) and
usb (FP-USB1) connected properly. I verified the pin layouts match.
When they are unplugged, I can power up no problem. Does anyone
have any idea what the problem may be?

Regards,
Victor
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 10:15:41 PM

On 12 Jan 2005 10:09:50 -0800, "victorng"
<victorngthowhing@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My Abit va-10 mainboard does not power up (no internal red led on
>board) when I have the internal audio connectors (FP-AUDIO1) and
>usb (FP-USB1) connected properly. I verified the pin layouts match.
>When they are unplugged, I can power up no problem. Does anyone
>have any idea what the problem may be?
>
>Regards,
>Victor

That you dont' really have them connected properly?
I'm suggesting that just because a case (or front bay
device) has what looks like a matching connector, doesn't
necessarily mean it'll be electrically compatible due to
different pin-positions.

Isolate it, is the problem the audio or the USB?
If both or either, keep one disconnected and focus on the
other. A multimeter might come in handy to take voltage
readings and confirm pinout via continuity of the front
connector contacts.

Consult the motherboard manual again and see if the
connectors have color-coded wires, generally the wires
correspond to:

5V (vcc) = red
Data - = white
Data + = green
GND = black

As for the audio header, some have 5V on one of the pins but
most front panels don't make use of it, yet it can still
prevent the system from running if the wrong lead is
connected to it, or even cause damage. Also if you've USB
devices plugged into USB ports currently, remove them just
in case the board were set to use 5VSB for USB, and further
that the power supply had insufficient 5VSB capacity to
handle all attached components, which is theoretically, an
easy situation to cause with the number of USB ports on
today's systems.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2005 1:41:49 PM

Hi Kony,
Thanks for your reply. I resolved my problem and here's how I did it
for your interest (as well as anyone elses):

1) I plugged in the internal usb cables to the va-10 motherboard, but
left the front end usb end disconnected (the va-10 powered up). This
lead me to suspect something wrong with the front end portion of the
Antec aria board I was using.

2) I confirmed this by plugging in another usb expansion plate with two
internal heads into the motherboard. They worked fine.

3) I called Antec's technical support. They were extremely helpful.
They first suggested I try clipping wires leading to NC (pin 10). There
was no success. Then, they simply sent me a new USB, firewire, audio
front end plate. I replaced the one on my case and things now work
perfectly. The problem was a defect in the front usb plate.

Thanks!
Victor

!