Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my new
harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd. I did
not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive installed.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's
GA-K8NF-9
> motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn
it on
> it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd
that came
> with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with
that
> express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled
Drive,
> Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
problem?
> Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my
new
> harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd.
I did
> not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by
numerous
> people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only
IDE
> device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive
installed.
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Dee

David Mills wrote:

> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
> motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
> it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
> with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
> express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
> Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
> Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my new
> harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd. I did
> not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
> people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
> device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive installed.
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

You need the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. Perhaps someday Microsoft
will change this, but for now, it's the only way.

David Mills wrote:
> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
> motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
> it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
> with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
> express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
> Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?

Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
Reboot with the XP CD in place.

dos

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

this will load the sata drivers from the floppy?

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is HPA?

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

host protected area

HPA is defined as a reserved area for data storage outside the normal
operating file system. This area is hidden from the operating system
and the file system, and is normally used for specialized
applications. Systems may wish to store configuration data or to save
memory to the hard disk drive device in a location that the operating
systems cannot change.

I believe this is the area of the disk that holds emulation or the
recognized area for performing a boot(source)

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support
HPA

> The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is HPA?

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> David Mills wrote:
>> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
>> motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it
>> on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that
>> came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with
>> that express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled
>> Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
>> problem?
>
> Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
> Reboot with the XP CD in place.

I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

TIA

BillL

"BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
> work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
> the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.

Richard Dower wrote:
> "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
>>work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
>>the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.
>

> So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
> floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.

I agree, FDDs are stil important. On the rare occasion when you need
one, nothing else wll do - plus, they are cheap. IMHO there is no
excuse to exclude them.

But that's a separate issue.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not
>> support HPA
>>

> The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is
> HPA?

Forget the HPA for now.
All you need to do is;
1) set the bios order to CDROM first
2) install a floppy drive temporarily
3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which
driver to load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6,
so be prepared for the wait.
5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.

For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$
will fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

HTH

--
Ian

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

> Forget the HPA for now.
> All you need to do is;
> 1) set the bios order to CDROM first
> 2) install a floppy drive temporarily
> 3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
> 4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which driver to
> load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6, so be prepared for
> the wait.
> 5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
> 6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.
>
> For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$ will
> fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

Cool, thanks for the step by step info.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
going to work????

Apollo wrote:

> All you need to do is;
> 1) set the bios order to CDROM first
> 2) install a floppy drive temporarily
> 3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
> 4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which
> driver to load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6,
> so be prepared for the wait.
> 5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
> 6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.
>
> For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$
> will fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

I concur

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

thus the reason NOT to IGNORE hpa...............I can say with as much
certainty as I can, without putting my hands on the rig, that your DVD
does not support booting.............common compatibility problem.

> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
> >

> Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if
that is
> going to work????

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Ok;
first off you are going to have to have a floppy to do your install to
a SATA drive its the only way to load the SATA driver.
Secondly it appears your DVD does not support being able to boot from it
or you do not have a legitimate copy of XP

Now that you have accepted that you are left with two options.

1) Beg, Buy, Borrow, or Steal a different CD rom that allows booting ( most
do ) and follow Apollos instructions.

2) Do a floppy boot install. It is time consuming but it would allow you to
install from a floppy and your DVD. Just go to google and search for (xp
floppy install) and then go to Microsoft and download the files to do this.
The file you download from Microsoft will allow to make a set of 5 or 6
floppies that you can boot to and install XP from with your DVD

Joe

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
>>

> Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
> going to work????

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

When you set the bios to boot from cd rom you ARE saving this change to
cmos?

Some bios need to be set to CD ROM and NOT to the drive letter of the cd
rom!

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
> >

> Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
> going to work????

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If the CD-ROM or equivalent won't allow itself to be used as a boot
device, then you are in a tough spot. You have to use a different one
to load XP.

This is a naughty thing to do, but you can buy a CD-ROM, use it to load
the OS, then return it to the store for your money back.

Better yet, if it works, keep it, cos you might need it again one day.

"Dan B" <danspam@happylobster.co.uk> wrote in message

> I say 10/10 for giving it a try and wanting to learn. We all had to learn
> somewhere and surely even you don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about
> building a PC.

I've built four high end machines thus far, most issues are buggy BIOS
related but for the most part it all went smooth.

David Mills wrote:
> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's
> GA-K8NF-9 motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but
> when I turn it on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or
> my driver cd that came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I
> then try booting with that express recovery utility and it comes up
> and says "No HPA Enabled Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have
> any ideas what could be the problem? Everyone is telling me that I
> need to install my Sata Drivers for my new harddrive, but I can't
> install them because I can't get to the cd. I did not install a
> floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous people
> that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
> device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive
> installed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
> Thanks for any ideas.

You screwed up. Had you done a little more research /before/ jumping out the
plane without a parachute, you'd have found that a floppy drive is 100%
essential for loading the SATA driver.

The answer is simple - spend £10 on a floppy drive - and transfer the SATA
driver from the motherboard CD to a floppy (this will need to be done,
obviously, on a computer that already has an operating system). Then you
will need to change the boot order to boot from the CD and press F6 when
prompted.

on salads.

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.

Joe

Joe wrote:
> Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
> the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
> with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
> putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
> out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
> install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
> motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
> copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
> floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.

Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver floppy.

When I upgraded my mobo recently, it came with SATA connectors and SATA
drivers on a floppy. I still use IDE drives, so I haven't been faced
with the SATA install problem yet.

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote

> Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
> floppy.

Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are specific
to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should come with
the floppy.

Joe

Joe wrote:
> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote
>

>>Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
>>floppy.
>

> Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are specific
> to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should come with
> the floppy.

But why couldn't drives come with generic drivers?

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Because there are no generic SATA drivers just like there are no generic
audio drivers. The driver has to be for the chipset.

Joe