Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my new
harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd. I did
not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive installed.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks for any ideas.
39 answers Last reply
More about built computer boot though
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's
    GA-K8NF-9
    > motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn
    it on
    > it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd
    that came
    > with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with
    that
    > express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled
    Drive,
    > Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
    problem?
    > Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my
    new
    > harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd.
    I did
    > not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by
    numerous
    > people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only
    IDE
    > device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive
    installed.
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    David Mills wrote:

    > Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
    > motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
    > it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
    > with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
    > express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
    > Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
    > Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my new
    > harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd. I did
    > not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
    > people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
    > device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive installed.
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    You need the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. Perhaps someday Microsoft
    will change this, but for now, it's the only way.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    David Mills wrote:
    > Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
    > motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
    > it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
    > with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
    > express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
    > Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?

    Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
    Reboot with the XP CD in place.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    this will load the sata drivers from the floppy?

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > David Mills wrote:
    > > Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
    > > motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it
    on
    > > it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that
    came
    > > with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
    > > express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
    > > Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
    problem?

    > Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
    > Reboot with the XP CD in place.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

    The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is HPA?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    host protected area

    HPA is defined as a reserved area for data storage outside the normal
    operating file system. This area is hidden from the operating system
    and the file system, and is normally used for specialized
    applications. Systems may wish to store configuration data or to save
    memory to the hard disk drive device in a location that the operating
    systems cannot change.

    I believe this is the area of the disk that holds emulation or the
    recognized area for performing a boot(source)

    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support
    HPA

    > The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is HPA?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > David Mills wrote:
    >> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
    >> motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it
    >> on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that
    >> came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with
    >> that express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled
    >> Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
    >> problem?
    >
    > Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
    > Reboot with the XP CD in place.

    I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
    work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
    the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

    TIA

    BillL
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
    > work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
    > the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

    So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
    floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Richard Dower wrote:
    > "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
    >>work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
    >>the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.
    >

    > So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
    > floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.

    I agree, FDDs are stil important. On the rare occasion when you need
    one, nothing else wll do - plus, they are cheap. IMHO there is no
    excuse to exclude them.

    But that's a separate issue.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not
    >> support HPA
    >>

    > The DVD-ROM is about a year and a half old..............what is
    > HPA?

    Forget the HPA for now.
    All you need to do is;
    1) set the bios order to CDROM first
    2) install a floppy drive temporarily
    3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
    4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which
    driver to load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6,
    so be prepared for the wait.
    5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
    6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.

    For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$
    will fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

    HTH

    --
    Ian
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > Forget the HPA for now.
    > All you need to do is;
    > 1) set the bios order to CDROM first
    > 2) install a floppy drive temporarily
    > 3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
    > 4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which driver to
    > load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6, so be prepared for
    > the wait.
    > 5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
    > 6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.
    >
    > For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$ will
    > fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

    Cool, thanks for the step by step info.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
    going to work????
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Apollo wrote:

    > All you need to do is;
    > 1) set the bios order to CDROM first
    > 2) install a floppy drive temporarily
    > 3) boot from the cd and press F6 when prompted to install drivers
    > 4) put the sata driver floppy in and wait until it asks which
    > driver to load, this can take up to 5 minutes after you press F6,
    > so be prepared for the wait.
    > 5) choose the correct driver / OS combination and that's it.
    > 6) remove the floppy drive at your leisure.
    >
    > For the moment you DO need a floppy to install WinXP onto sata, M$
    > will fix this annoying installation bug someday probably.

    I concur
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    thus the reason NOT to IGNORE hpa...............I can say with as much
    certainty as I can, without putting my hands on the rig, that your DVD
    does not support booting.............common compatibility problem.

    > "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if
    that is
    > going to work????

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Ok;
    first off you are going to have to have a floppy to do your install to
    a SATA drive its the only way to load the SATA driver.
    Secondly it appears your DVD does not support being able to boot from it
    or you do not have a legitimate copy of XP

    Now that you have accepted that you are left with two options.

    1) Beg, Buy, Borrow, or Steal a different CD rom that allows booting ( most
    do ) and follow Apollos instructions.

    2) Do a floppy boot install. It is time consuming but it would allow you to
    install from a floppy and your DVD. Just go to google and search for (xp
    floppy install) and then go to Microsoft and download the files to do this.
    The file you download from Microsoft will allow to make a set of 5 or 6
    floppies that you can boot to and install XP from with your DVD

    Joe

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    > Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
    > going to work????

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    When you set the bios to boot from cd rom you ARE saving this change to
    cmos?

    Some bios need to be set to CD ROM and NOT to the drive letter of the cd
    rom!

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure if that is
    > going to work????

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    If the CD-ROM or equivalent won't allow itself to be used as a boot
    device, then you are in a tough spot. You have to use a different one
    to load XP.

    This is a naughty thing to do, but you can buy a CD-ROM, use it to load
    the OS, then return it to the store for your money back.

    Better yet, if it works, keep it, cos you might need it again one day.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Dan B" <danspam@happylobster.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I say 10/10 for giving it a try and wanting to learn. We all had to learn
    > somewhere and surely even you don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about
    > building a PC.

    I've built four high end machines thus far, most issues are buggy BIOS
    related but for the most part it all went smooth.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    David Mills wrote:
    > Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's
    > GA-K8NF-9 motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but
    > when I turn it on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or
    > my driver cd that came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I
    > then try booting with that express recovery utility and it comes up
    > and says "No HPA Enabled Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have
    > any ideas what could be the problem? Everyone is telling me that I
    > need to install my Sata Drivers for my new harddrive, but I can't
    > install them because I can't get to the cd. I did not install a
    > floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous people
    > that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
    > device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive
    > installed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    You screwed up. Had you done a little more research /before/ jumping out the
    plane without a parachute, you'd have found that a floppy drive is 100%
    essential for loading the SATA driver.

    The answer is simple - spend £10 on a floppy drive - and transfer the SATA
    driver from the motherboard CD to a floppy (this will need to be done,
    obviously, on a computer that already has an operating system). Then you
    will need to change the boot order to boot from the CD and press F6 when
    prompted.

    on salads.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
    the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
    with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
    putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
    out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
    install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
    motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
    copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
    floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.

    Joe

    > David Mills wrote:
    >> Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's
    >> GA-K8NF-9 motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but
    >> when I turn it on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or
    >> my driver cd that came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I
    >> then try booting with that express recovery utility and it comes up
    >> and says "No HPA Enabled Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have
    >> any ideas what could be the problem? Everyone is telling me that I
    >> need to install my Sata Drivers for my new harddrive, but I can't
    >> install them because I can't get to the cd. I did not install a
    >> floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous people
    >> that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
    >> device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive
    >> installed. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
    >> Thanks for any ideas.
    >

    > You screwed up. Had you done a little more research /before/ jumping out
    > the plane without a parachute, you'd have found that a floppy drive is
    > 100% essential for loading the SATA driver.
    >
    > The answer is simple - spend £10 on a floppy drive - and transfer the SATA
    > driver from the motherboard CD to a floppy (this will need to be done,
    > obviously, on a computer that already has an operating system). Then you
    > will need to change the boot order to boot from the CD and press F6 when
    > prompted.
    >
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Joe wrote:
    > Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
    > the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
    > with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
    > putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
    > out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
    > install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
    > motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
    > copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
    > floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.

    Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver floppy.

    When I upgraded my mobo recently, it came with SATA connectors and SATA
    drivers on a floppy. I still use IDE drives, so I haven't been faced
    with the SATA install problem yet.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote

    > Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
    > floppy.

    Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are specific
    to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should come with
    the floppy.

    Joe
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Joe wrote:
    > "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote
    >

    >>Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
    >>floppy.
    >

    > Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are specific
    > to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should come with
    > the floppy.

    But why couldn't drives come with generic drivers?
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Because there are no generic SATA drivers just like there are no generic
    audio drivers. The driver has to be for the chipset.

    Joe

    > Joe wrote:
    >> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote
    >>

    >>>Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
    >>>floppy.
    >>

    >> Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are
    >> specific to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those
    >> should come with the floppy.
    >
    > But why couldn't drives come with generic drivers?
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Joe wrote:
    > Because there are no generic SATA drivers just like there are no generic
    > audio drivers. The driver has to be for the chipset.

    Well, there's no world peace either, but that doesn't mean we can't want
    that. ;)
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    .... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    them talk you through which files to copy from the
    CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    floppy disk for the SATA.

    johns
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:31:19 -0500, ToolPackinMama
    <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

    >Joe wrote:
    >> Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
    >> the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
    >> with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
    >> putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
    >> out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
    >> install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
    >> motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
    >> copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
    >> floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.
    >
    >Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver floppy.
    >
    >When I upgraded my mobo recently, it came with SATA connectors and SATA
    >drivers on a floppy. I still use IDE drives, so I haven't been faced
    >with the SATA install problem yet.

    It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
    software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
    booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
    least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
    driver.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

    > It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
    > software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
    > booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
    > least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
    > driver.

    Agreed it would be domething simple like when you are string to install a
    fresh install from an XP upgrade disk and have to eject the XP upgrade disk
    to let it verify the 98 disk.

    Joe
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Joe" <notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message

    > "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote
    >

    >> Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
    >> floppy.
    >
    > Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are
    > specific to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should
    > come with the floppy.
    >
    > Joe

    I think what is nesscary is all mobo makers to include the flopp disk with
    new motherboards, some makers do. But most don't.

    I always read everything i can before building and make all the nesscary
    floppy disks and download all the latest drivers for everything, as normally
    the one's that come with the mobo are old.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > I did
    > not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
    > people that I would not need one.

    Numerous people don't know very much.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    > Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure
    > if that is going to work????

    I apologise, as others have said it seems like you need to install
    a different CD / DVD drive too, temp or perm to get around the
    problems. The steps I outlined are still valid but with a drive
    that you can boot from.

    HTH

    --
    Ian
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Johns,

    How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?

    "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
    > Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    > I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    > you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    > only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    > that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    > make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    > install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    > ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    > them talk you through which files to copy from the
    > CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    > and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    > floppy disk for the SATA.
    >
    > johns

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    David Mills wrote:
    > Johns,
    >
    > How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?
    >
    > "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    >>I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    >>you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    >>only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    >>that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    >>make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    >>install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    >>... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    >>them talk you through which files to copy from the
    >>CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    >>and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    >>floppy disk for the SATA.
    >>
    >>johns

    I beg to differ with you!

    I built a computer for my wife and in it I installed 1 SATA hard drive,
    1 DVD-RW on IDE0 Master and 1 Travan 4 tape drive on IDE1 Master.

    The system has been working without problem for almost 9 months now!
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    johns wrote:

    > Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    > I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    > you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    > only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    > that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    > make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    > install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    > ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    > them talk you through which files to copy from the
    > CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    > and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    > floppy disk for the SATA.
    >
    > johns

    Your information is A.F.U.!

    My wife's computer has 1 SATA hard drive, 1 DVD-RW on IDE0 Master and 1
    Travan4 tape drive on IDE1 Master. This has work without problems for
    almost 9 months!!!
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    >>I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    >>you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    >>only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    >>that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    >>make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    >>install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    >>... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    >>them talk you through which files to copy from the
    >>CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    >>and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    >>floppy disk for the SATA.
    >>
    >>johns

    A single SATA does not have to be on SATA 0! The plugs on my wifes
    board were mis-labeled and I installed the drive on the second channel
    not knowing better at the time. I was able to install Windows XP
    Professional with no problems. Since it didn't seem to hurt anything, I
    just left it there and it's been working like that for almost 9 months!!
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I have an ASUS P4P800 with Intel SATA. I have insyalled WinXP Pro through
    several iterations of SATA disk upgrade and never loaded a SATA driver
    until I installed an Adapteec SATA Raid controller so I now rune a RAID 1
    on native Intel
    SATA and raid 0 on the Adaptec.

    Dee wrote:

    > johns wrote:
    >
    > > Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    > > I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    > > you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    > > only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    > > that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    > > make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    > > install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    > > ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    > > them talk you through which files to copy from the
    > > CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    > > and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    > > floppy disk for the SATA.
    > >
    > > johns
    > >

    > Your information is A.F.U.!
    >
    > My wife's computer has 1 SATA hard drive, 1 DVD-RW on IDE0 Master and 1
    > Travan4 tape drive on IDE1 Master. This has work without problems for
    > almost 9 months!!!
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Johns,
    >
    > How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?
    >
    > "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
    >> Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
    >> I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
    >> you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
    >> only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
    >> that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
    >> make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
    >> install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
    >> ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
    >> them talk you through which files to copy from the
    >> CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
    >> and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
    >> floppy disk for the SATA.
    >>
    >> johns

    David,
    You could also go to www.bootdisk.com and download the floppy disks and use
    that option for booting and installing XP. It might be a better option than
    buying another CD drive.

    Ed
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In message <ntdju0dr0ihi85fbd3924a416dhk7vk3uv@4ax.com> kony
    <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
    >software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
    >booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
    >least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
    >driver.

    There are a couple things Microsoft could do to the installer that would
    solve this problem instantly.

    1) Check every visible disk drive the installer can recognize.
    2) Use BIOS calls to check every available disk drive.
    3) Allow the user to burn the drivers to CD and swap CDs
    4) Allow the user to slipsteam the drivers on to the CD.

    My biggest annoyance was the fact that I can boot from a USB drive or a
    flash drive (and install WinXP from there), and the installer can
    definitely use the USB drives two minutes later in the partitioning
    screen, so it's annoying that it can't bother to look on those drives
    (which the installer CAN see) for drivers.

    I don't like the floppy myself, I use various flash media cards as
    alternatives whenever possible and the whole concept of having to
    purchase a floppy just to install Windows is annoying, but it's a
    worthwhile investment of $20 at this point.

    --
    A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:43:22 -0700, DevilsPGD
    <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >In message <ntdju0dr0ihi85fbd3924a416dhk7vk3uv@4ax.com> kony
    ><spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
    >>software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
    >>booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
    >>least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
    >>driver.
    >
    >There are a couple things Microsoft could do to the installer that would
    >solve this problem instantly.
    >
    >1) Check every visible disk drive the installer can recognize.
    >2) Use BIOS calls to check every available disk drive.
    >3) Allow the user to burn the drivers to CD and swap CDs
    >4) Allow the user to slipsteam the drivers on to the CD.
    >
    >My biggest annoyance was the fact that I can boot from a USB drive or a
    >flash drive (and install WinXP from there), and the installer can
    >definitely use the USB drives two minutes later in the partitioning
    >screen, so it's annoying that it can't bother to look on those drives
    >(which the installer CAN see) for drivers.
    >
    >I don't like the floppy myself, I use various flash media cards as
    >alternatives whenever possible and the whole concept of having to
    >purchase a floppy just to install Windows is annoying, but it's a
    >worthwhile investment of $20 at this point.

    Yes it would be very nice if we could convert to flash
    gracefully. It meets the primary requirement of being
    cheap, both for reader and media, providing one is content
    with a few dozen MB of flash memory rather than a few GB,
    but then we are talking about a floppy replacement rather
    than a HDD replacement. I suppose for the cleanest
    transition it would help if the flash reader operating from
    (and emulated) a floppy drive, such that all the legacy
    utilities just wrote to it with no complaints.

    Backing up a bit, surely this isnt' even necessary for the
    purpose of getting WinXP to boot. Unless I misunderstand
    the situation they could set a variable for the boot drive,
    then when control is handed off to WinXP during the boot
    process, a simple continuance of the same bios-based drive
    enumeration would be used until XP can make it's own drive
    ID.

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Boot CD-Rom Systems