Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to get Samsung phone to work as modem.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 22, 2004 10:14:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have a Samsung SGH-x427 phone. I bought a serial cable off of ebay
which claimed to be specifically for this phone. One end of the cable
plugs into my phone the other into the COM port on my laptop. I am
running Windows XP. I want to use the phone as a modem. I hook
everything up, boot up XP and the phone beeps a few times but is never
recognized by XP. Is the software that Cingular sells required to
make this all work or am I missing something? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 23, 2004 5:25:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cb69f5fd.0407221714.2fe46df2@posting.google.com> on 22 Jul 2004 18:14:42
-0700, sbailey12@yahoo.com (sbailey12) wrote:

>I have a Samsung SGH-x427 phone. I bought a serial cable off of ebay
>which claimed to be specifically for this phone. One end of the cable
>plugs into my phone the other into the COM port on my laptop. I am
>running Windows XP. I want to use the phone as a modem. I hook
>everything up, boot up XP and the phone beeps a few times but is never
>recognized by XP.

Why should it be? Did you try to Add a Modem? Do you have the correct INF
file?

>Is the software that Cingular sells required to
>make this all work ...

No, but your account must be provisioned for CSD.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 23, 2004 8:17:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Why should it be? Did you try to Add a Modem? Do you have the correct INF
> file?

Yes, I did try to Add a modem. XP does not recognize that anything is
connected to the COM1 port. What particular INF file should I have?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 23, 2004 3:30:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cb69f5fd.0407230317.772c1045@posting.google.com>,
sbailey12@yahoo.com (sbailey12) wrote:

> Yes, I did try to Add a modem. XP does not recognize that anything is
> connected to the COM1 port. What particular INF file should I have?

Maybe XP did not assign COM 1 to the cell phone. COM3 maybe? Check
in the Device Manager.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 23, 2004 4:50:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cb69f5fd.0407230317.772c1045@posting.google.com> on 23 Jul 2004 04:17:10
-0700, sbailey12@yahoo.com (sbailey12) wrote:

>> Why should it be? Did you try to Add a Modem? Do you have the correct INF
>> file?
>
>Yes, I did try to Add a modem. XP does not recognize that anything is
>connected to the COM1 port. What particular INF file should I have?

You need the correct modem INF file for your phone, which should be (a)
included with the phone, (b) available from the dealer, and/or (c) available
from the manufacturer.

Then you need to be sure that (a) you are accessing the correct COM port, and
(b) using the correct COM port speed, which is probably 9600 bps.

Depending on phone and carrier, the above is often simplified by a data
software package, which includes the correct INF file, and a wizard to
configure the OS. (The Samsung Serial Data Kit includes a software CD.)
Since you just bought a cable off of eBay, you probably didn't get this. The
software isn't "required", but it can make things much easier, particularly if
you're not an expert in this area.

Then of course there's the real possibility that the cable you bought off eBay
doesn't work properly, a not uncommon problem and a hazard of eBay. If
possible, try an OEM cable.

Lastly, even if you solve all of the above, your phone won't actually be able
to make data calls unless your Cingular account is provisioned for CSD
(circuit switched data).

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!