The KB893357 patch

Microsoft says this about the KB893357 patch.

"In order to take advantage of WPA2, users will also need a wireless
LAN that includes the new standard and a Wi-Fi network adapter with the
processing power to handle AES encryption, Athwal says.
Many of the wireless LAN access points and client adapters being sold
today can use WPA2 and come with add-on software for client devices."

So the question is, which adapters have the "processing power"? Most
if not all adapters on the shelf say they support WPA security. But
that isn't true if one is looking for AES support. I installed this
patch and then installed the Netgear WG511v2 PCMCIA adapter and the
best I could get was TKIP while my router WRT54Gv3 supports both TKIP
and AES.

So what is the change this patch suppose to bring? Is it to replace
WPA drivers shipped with WPA capable cards?

Those neat stickers that say "WiFi CERTIFIED" wireless products are issued
to products that complete testing with the WiFi Alliance. The Microsoft
WPA2 client is used by the WiFi Alliance in their testing to ensure that
products meet a quality standard. The reason why I am mentioning this is
that they have a searchable database on their website. You can get a
comprehensive list of products that have completed testing and more
importantly you may search specifically for WPA2-capable devices.

http://www.wifialliance.com/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2

To secure your network with WPA2 - Personal, you will need to have WPA2
capable firmware on your access point, and the wireless adapter will need a
WPA2 capable driver. A quick search of the website shows that Netgear has
completed testing with just three devices and those do not include the WG511
or the WRT54G. If a device was capable of AES encryption then it is
possible that there will be an update sometime this year. Devices that did
not include AES capablity usually have hardware limitations that will
prevent them from WPA2 capability. There are exceptions to this rule of
course. Netgear would have to disclose which devices they have driver
updates planned for.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft says this about the KB893357 patch.
>
> "In order to take advantage of WPA2, users will also need a wireless
> LAN that includes the new standard and a Wi-Fi network adapter with the
> processing power to handle AES encryption, Athwal says.
> Many of the wireless LAN access points and client adapters being sold
> today can use WPA2 and come with add-on software for client devices."
>
> So the question is, which adapters have the "processing power"? Most
> if not all adapters on the shelf say they support WPA security. But
> that isn't true if one is looking for AES support. I installed this
> patch and then installed the Netgear WG511v2 PCMCIA adapter and the
> best I could get was TKIP while my router WRT54Gv3 supports both TKIP
> and AES.
>
> So what is the change this patch suppose to bring? Is it to replace
> WPA drivers shipped with WPA capable cards?

I've been to that database. The information is suspect. I'm not
trying to say it's all bad but. The WG511-F v3.0 (which I believe is
also called version 1) card is not listed as being capable of
supporting WPA2 but it does because that's what my laptop has now. So
when I discovered that the WG511v2 didn't work with WPA2 I was
disappointed. Mainly because the WPA driver didn't come with the card.
But more so when Netgear support team told me that the card only does
WPA-TKIP. A waste of time and money. I wish the packaging was more
specific as to what the capabilities of these cards were.

Even so, I don't see any change as discribe by Microsoft after
installing this patch. One was that when I select "View Wireless
Networks", that the WPA2 capable networks will indicate "WPA2". I know
for a fact that my WRT54G is configured as a WPA2 network but it not
showing up that way.

Oh, btw I think you searched on internal cards. The WG511 is an
external PCMCIA card. The Linksys WRT54G is also WPA2 capable according
to the database (1st in the search results)

What is listed in the database are the devices that have completed
interoperability testing with the standards group. If a device is not
listed, then the device has not been submitted for testing, is still in
testing, or has failed testing.

Does your model of WRT54G include a feature called Speedbooster? Is it a
WRT54GS?

--

> I've been to that database. The information is suspect. I'm not
> trying to say it's all bad but. The WG511-F v3.0 (which I believe is
> also called version 1) card is not listed as being capable of
> supporting WPA2 but it does because that's what my laptop has now. So
> when I discovered that the WG511v2 didn't work with WPA2 I was
> disappointed. Mainly because the WPA driver didn't come with the card.
> But more so when Netgear support team told me that the card only does
> WPA-TKIP. A waste of time and money. I wish the packaging was more
> specific as to what the capabilities of these cards were.
>
> Even so, I don't see any change as discribe by Microsoft after
> installing this patch. One was that when I select "View Wireless
> Networks", that the WPA2 capable networks will indicate "WPA2". I know
> for a fact that my WRT54G is configured as a WPA2 network but it not
> showing up that way.
>
> Oh, btw I think you searched on internal cards. The WG511 is an
> external PCMCIA card. The Linksys WRT54G is also WPA2 capable according
> to the database (1st in the search results)

No, my WRT54G is not the speedbooster model and has a WPA/WPA2 cert
date of 1/5/2005 according to the database. Let me re-phrase what I
said about the WG511-F(v3.0) card (aka version 1). It is listed in the
database search results but when you click on the link to display the
cert information WPA2 is not listed. The cert date for the WG511-F
(v3.0) is 7/1/2004 and for the WG511v2 it's 9/23/2004 according to the
database. I also sent a message to the folks at wifi.org about what
appears to be a discrepency on the WAG511 PCMCIA card (the supposed
only WPA2 Netgear PCMCIA adapter). There are 3 cert dates.

1st says: 3/5/2004 WPA (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS
2nd says: 1/26/2005 WPA, WPA2 (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS
3rd says: 1/27/2005 WPA (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS, WMM

The question is, did Netgear decertify the cards capabilties for WPA2?
That would make no sense. So it seems the database is incorrect.

Well, well, well. I got to the bottom of the problem with the WPA2
patch. It didn't install. It failed installation. MS are you
reading? How can this get more visibility to the powers that be?

My patch log below:

[KB893357.log]
4.827:
4.827: 2005/06/08 18:44:50.950 (local)
4.827: c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\update\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)
4.827: Hotfix started with following command line:
6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11660, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11692, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.770: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
6.890: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IC
6.890: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
7.201: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\update\update_SP2QFE.inf failed
7.201: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll
failed: 0xe0000102
7.201: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent
7.211: Starting AnalyzeComponents
7.211: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
7.211: No c:\windows\INF\updtblk.inf file.
7.211: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error:
0xe0000102
7.211: SetupFindFirstLine in LoadExclusionList Failed with error:
0xe0000102
7.211: Enumerating Devices of nettrans, GUID
{4d36e975-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
7.261: Enumerating Devices of netservice, GUID
{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
7.311: OEM file scan used 100 ticks
7.841: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 630 ticks
7.841: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
7.841: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
7.841: FindFirstFile c:\windows\$hf_mig$\*.*
8.392: AnalyzeForBranching used 0 ticks.
8.392: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 0 ticks
8.392: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
8.392: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
8.422: AnalyzePhaseSix used 30 ticks
17.065: AnalyzeComponents used 9854 ticks
17.065: Downloading 0 files
17.065: bPatchMode = FALSE
17.065: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 9864 ticks
19.578: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory =
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB893357$
19.578: Num Ticks for invent : 12377
19.588: VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL:
c:\windows\inf\HFXCF.tmp
19.698: Copied file: c:\windows\inf\branches.inf
25.637: Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space =
11842478080 bytes
25.637: Drive C: free 11293MB req: 5MB w/uninstall 0MB
25.637: CabinetBuild complete
25.637: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 6059
25.637: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.
25.637: FileInUse:: need to restart already, turn off
26.658: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll
failed: 0xe0000102
35.561: System Restore Point set.
36.112: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spmsg.dll
37.404: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.
39.467: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path:
c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\
39.467: Num Ticks for Copying files : 13830
39.467: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 0
39.477: DoInstallation: ApplyAdminSystemAclsRecursive for
c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB893357 failed; error=0x00000003
39.487: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section
is empty; nothing to do.
47.949: RebootNecessary = 0,WizardInput = 0 , DontReboot = 1,
ForceRestart = 0

JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

Thanks for the link to the "certified" products. I checked the status of my
router and wireless adapter, both list WPA and according to their owners
manuals have AES support ... would I benefit from installing the 893357
patch? If so, what specific benefits might I see?

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> Those neat stickers that say "WiFi CERTIFIED" wireless products are issued
> to products that complete testing with the WiFi Alliance. The Microsoft
> WPA2 client is used by the WiFi Alliance in their testing to ensure that
> products meet a quality standard. The reason why I am mentioning this is
> that they have a searchable database on their website. You can get a
> comprehensive list of products that have completed testing and more
> importantly you may search specifically for WPA2-capable devices.
>
> http://www.wifialliance.com/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2
>
> To secure your network with WPA2 - Personal, you will need to have WPA2
> capable firmware on your access point, and the wireless adapter will need a
> WPA2 capable driver. A quick search of the website shows that Netgear has
> completed testing with just three devices and those do not include the WG511
> or the WRT54G. If a device was capable of AES encryption then it is
> possible that there will be an update sometime this year. Devices that did
> not include AES capablity usually have hardware limitations that will
> prevent them from WPA2 capability. There are exceptions to this rule of
> course. Netgear would have to disclose which devices they have driver
> updates planned for.
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Microsoft says this about the KB893357 patch.
> >
> > "In order to take advantage of WPA2, users will also need a wireless
> > LAN that includes the new standard and a Wi-Fi network adapter with the
> > processing power to handle AES encryption, Athwal says.
> > Many of the wireless LAN access points and client adapters being sold
> > today can use WPA2 and come with add-on software for client devices."
> >
> > So the question is, which adapters have the "processing power"? Most
> > if not all adapters on the shelf say they support WPA security. But
> > that isn't true if one is looking for AES support. I installed this
> > patch and then installed the Netgear WG511v2 PCMCIA adapter and the
> > best I could get was TKIP while my router WRT54Gv3 supports both TKIP
> > and AES.
> >
> > So what is the change this patch suppose to bring? Is it to replace
> > WPA drivers shipped with WPA capable cards?

These are simply three different submissions for individual driver versions.
They really should attach the driver version to each certification to reduce
confusion.

--

> No, my WRT54G is not the speedbooster model and has a WPA/WPA2 cert
> date of 1/5/2005 according to the database. Let me re-phrase what I
> said about the WG511-F(v3.0) card (aka version 1). It is listed in the
> database search results but when you click on the link to display the
> cert information WPA2 is not listed. The cert date for the WG511-F
> (v3.0) is 7/1/2004 and for the WG511v2 it's 9/23/2004 according to the
> database. I also sent a message to the folks at wifi.org about what
> appears to be a discrepency on the WAG511 PCMCIA card (the supposed
> only WPA2 Netgear PCMCIA adapter). There are 3 cert dates.
>
> 1st says: 3/5/2004 WPA (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS
> 2nd says: 1/26/2005 WPA, WPA2 (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS
> 3rd says: 1/27/2005 WPA (Pers/Enter), EAP-TLS, WMM
>
> The question is, did Netgear decertify the cards capabilties for WPA2?
> That would make no sense. So it seems the database is incorrect.

There doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary in the log. Can you
reply back with the results of the following proceedures?

1)
START > RUN > "cmd"
at the command prompt type:
"dir %windir%\system32\wzcsvc.dll"

2)
START > Control Panel
open Add or Remove Programs
make sure the box for "Show updates" at the top of the page is checked
verify that an entry exisits for:
"Update for Windows XP (KB893357)"

3)
Could you also reply with the driver version you are using on the WAG511v2
in your computer?

--

> [...]
> 25.637: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.
> 25.637: FileInUse:: need to restart already, turn off
> 26.658: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll
> failed: 0xe0000102
> 35.561: System Restore Point set.
> 36.112: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spmsg.dll
> 37.404: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.
> 39.467: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path:
> c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\
> 39.467: Num Ticks for Copying files : 13830
> 39.467: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 0
> 39.477: DoInstallation: ApplyAdminSystemAclsRecursive for
> c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB893357 failed; error=0x00000003
> 39.487: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section
> is empty; nothing to do.
> 47.949: RebootNecessary = 0,WizardInput = 0 , DontReboot = 1,

I'll try your steps tonight. However, the log says:

39.477: DoInstallation: ApplyAdminSystemAclsRecursive for
c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB893357 failed; error=0x00000003

Which seems to be a clear error during the installation. But...

Number (2) did it. I never noticed the box "Show Updates". :) After
selecting it the KB893357 patch was displayed in the list. So I
confirmed the patch is installed but the patch doesn't do what its
supposed to do as stated at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0505.mspx

There's a picture on this page that shows WPA2 attached to networks
that are capable when using MS WZC, which I do. I have a WPA2 network
and WPA2 capable wireless network cards on all my machines.

what model router are you using? what driver are you using for the
pccard?

On 23 Jun 2005 17:42:58 -0700, "d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Number (2) did it. I never noticed the box "Show Updates". :) After
>selecting it the KB893357 patch was displayed in the list. So I
>confirmed the patch is installed but the patch doesn't do what its
>supposed to do as stated at:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0505.mspx
>
>There's a picture on this page that shows WPA2 attached to networks
>that are capable when using MS WZC, which I do. I have a WPA2 network
>and WPA2 capable wireless network cards on all my machines.
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

I have 3 machines with different wireless PC cards. A Linksys WPC54Gv4,
Netgear WG511v1, and a Atheros AR50001+. I checked the WiFi.org
certification database to determine if each supported the WPA2
standard. Only the WG511 was missing. But the card does support AES
encryption. So I don't know why the the database doesn't reflect that.
Lastly, my network uses the Linksys WRT54Gv3 wirless switch/router.
Also, listed as WPA2 capable.

Ah, that's the problem then. From what I've been reading, I understood
that AES was a WPA2 standard. The WiFi.org certifications show for
example columns/rows for the products. WPA2 shows AES in its sections
verses WPA which only shows TKIP. So since my network equipment
supports and is using AES encryption, I'm thinking I have a WPA2
capable network.

Do you have firmware for the Linksys router that specifically supports
WPA2? Just because a device supports AES does not mean it will do WPA2
without a firmware update.

Do you have a WPA2 driver for the wireless cards?

There's some interesting reading in my blog on how hard it's been to
find updates for WPA2 functionality.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

AES support was optional for the WPA authentication mode. For WPA2 it is a
requirement. A listing on the WECA site, means that a WPA2 certified driver
is available. When configuring security settings your equipment should
explicitly list WPA2 as the authentication mode.