DVD RAM

What advantage, if any, is DVD RAM as opposed to DVD +/- RW as a media for
backing up data?

In article <csjff4$lht$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Ian Boys says...
> What advantage, if any, is DVD RAM as opposed to DVD +/- RW as a media for
> backing up data?

Non.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:49:37 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <csjff4$lht$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Ian Boys says...
>> What advantage, if any, is DVD RAM as opposed to DVD +/- RW as a media for
>> backing up data?
>>
>Non.
It certainly can be used in UDF format with proper drag and drop just
like a floppy drive unlike other formats.

I am led to believe that DVD-RAM has better error correction and a lot
longer life of 100,000 re-writes compared to 1,000 for DVD-RW.
--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

> What advantage, if any, is DVD RAM as opposed to DVD +/- RW as a media for
> backing up data?

I like DVD-RAM. You run the software to install it, then just drop
in the disk and you've got another drive. No fuss, no bother. It
works seamlessly, unlike packet writing with CD-RW and DVD-/+RW.
The biggest advantage is that you can copy and recopy files, by
drag and drop or any other way you like, to a DVD-RAM disk a
gadzillion times, whereas a regular DVD-RW has a limited number of
burns before it wears out and becomes unreliable. Plus, they're
pretty! My Maxell DVD-RAM disk is like a little jewel. Seriously,
though, they are superior because of seamless ease of use, and
because of long-term backup use and shelf life. The downside is
that they are expensive, and few computers can handle the format.

Thanks guys.

Another question, I have to backup data for 30 years. What media is likely
to last that long?

Ian Boys

"Ian Boys" <TooMuchSpam@BTInternet.com> wrote in message news:csm9ha$5a2$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Thanks guys.
>
> Another question, I have to backup data for 30 years. What media is likely
> to last that long?

Probably none. The technology will change drastically.
Today's media devices -- CD and DVD readers, etc --
will, if anywhere, be in museums, like IBM punched
card reading equipment is today. You should be
prepared to transfer your data to the current media
of the time every so often.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

"Ian Boys" <TooMuchSpam@BTInternet.com> wrote in message news:csm9ha$5a2$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Thanks guys.
>
> Another question, I have to backup data for 30 years. What media is likely
> to last that long?

Probably none. The technology will change drastically.
Today's media devices -- CD and DVD readers, etc --
will, if anywhere, be in museums, like IBM punched
card reading equipment is today. You should be
prepared to transfer your data to the current media
of the time every so often.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

DVD-RAM negatives...
o High cost
---- notably more than DVD+/-R media
o Fussy cartridge basis for best protection
---- you lose rewrite usage & longevity out of the cartridge
---- discs can be returned to a cartridge quite easily however
---- very few writers available that take media in cartridge directly
o Snail
---- realise how long it will take to backup to one side
---- for double-sided media you have to turn the disk over
---- slower than Magneto Optical for example

DVD-RAM positives...
o Phase change media
---- akin to Magneto Optical media in this respect
---- both magnetism & temperature are required to change data
---- basically heat material above Curie point & "flip the bit"
o Rugged cartridges
---- like Magneto Optical media, robust, shuttered etc
---- protect the media (and drive lens/laser etc) from damage, dust etc
o Higher level of error correction
---- DVD+/-R offers more error correction than CD-ROM
---- DVD-RAM offers more error correction than DVD+/-R
o Cheap backup media vs Magneto Optical
---- MO drive is 250$+, media is 5-8$+ for 1.3GB
---- DVD-RAM drive from LG is 90$+, media is 8$+ for 9.4GB

DVD-RAM is inherently more reliable than DVD+/-R as a
function of the phase-change media & error correction.

However, it isn't a bad idea to have 2 backup media available:
o Use HD for bulk data-backup
o Use DVD-RAM for duplication of critical data-backup

So perhaps the benefit of DVD-RAM is just that:
o As a backup drive sunk-cost is minimal
---- plenty of DVD-writers also write DVD-RAM (eg, LG Multi)
o It provides another media type
---- HDs do fail online & offline, online backups get deleted
---- HDs are vulnerable to shock, DVD-RAM order of magnitude better

Media quality does however matter:
o Consumer media does go through cash-cow to cash-dog
o At the cash-dog phase the production process seems to waver
o CD-ROM varies in quality, eventually single-layer DVD may too
o DVD-RAM may or may not, re usage in video recorders etc
o Magneto Optical in 3.5" did waver as it tried to compete on price

So as with all backup media:
o Don't pick one for 20yrs as you will fail
o Better to pick one which lasts for your purpose economically
o Then change / migrate as better technologies come along

If you want ultra-reliable, DLT seems to win out:
o Digital Linear Tape is derived from open reel
o It is not derived from consumer products like CDR, DVD, DAT etc
o Price of the smaller DLT drives is very good - below DAT now
o Reliability is good - but 1 backup media/drive is a 1 point of failure

Comes down to how much data, how often it changes, how important.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:39:38 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Boys"
<TooMuchSpam@BTInternet.com> wrote:

>Thanks guys.
>
>Another question, I have to backup data for 30 years. What media is likely
>to last that long?
>
>Ian Boys

Not just the media but the reader...
Probably either HQ Gold CDR or tape, but with the tape
rewritten every 10 years or so. Either stored appropriately
in humidity and UV controlled area.