Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would work
well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
problem.

If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all the
drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?

Gigabyte GA-8PE667
Intel 2.4 533FSB

thanks

If you replace the motherboard, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do
a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing nasty
Registry errors and data corruption.

--
DaveW

"Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
>problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
>beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would work
>well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
>seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
>this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
>like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
>problem.
>

> If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
> would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all
> the drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?
>
> Gigabyte GA-8PE667
> Intel 2.4 533FSB
>
> thanks

"Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
> problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
> beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would
work
> well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
> seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
> this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
> like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
> problem.
>

> If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
> would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all
the
> drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?
>
> Gigabyte GA-8PE667
> Intel 2.4 533FSB
>
> thanks

Try a different PSU first, I've seen this with poor quality PSU's, once or
twice.

Regards

John T.

Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

That was the first thing I did. I'm using a new antec smart power.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:41:43 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org>
wrote:

>If you replace the motherboard, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do
>a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing nasty
>Registry errors and data corruption.

If you post a question about replacing a motherboard, then
you MUST filter out DaveW's replies. Otherwise you can look
forward to ongoing technical errors and factual corruption.

kony wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:41:43 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org>
> wrote:
>

>>If you replace the motherboard, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do
>>a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing nasty
>>Registry errors and data corruption.
>

> If you post a question about replacing a motherboard, then
> you MUST filter out DaveW's replies. Otherwise you can look
> forward to ongoing technical errors and factual corruption.

<chuckle>

But so true.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:59:56 -0500, "Woodchuck"
<stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

>I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
>problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
>beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would work
>well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
>seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
>this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
>like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
>problem.
>

>If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
>would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all the
>drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?
>
>Gigabyte GA-8PE667
>Intel 2.4 533FSB

Try clearing CMOS and verifying that the PS2 and USB ports
are jumpered to use 5V instead of 5VSB.

Woodchuck wrote:

> I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
> problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
> beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would work
> well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
> seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
> this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
> like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
> problem.
>

> If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
> would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all the
> drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?
>
> Gigabyte GA-8PE667
> Intel 2.4 533FSB
>
> thanks

The XP disk has a Repair Install utility that might work. I think if
you replace a motherboard, you may have to redo the registration,
because XP may consider that too radical a change and not be considered
an update, but a totally different computer. Sometimes the updated
needs to be done on the phone number provided with the install disk.

Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

Well I think it died today when I booted up. The darn thing was beeping for
over 10 seconds and finally it was a solid beep. I removed & swapped the
ram, remove some cards, even tried to use another video card with no luck.
I even tried to reinstall XPhome without luck as it stopped at the blue
screen after coping file to start windows. On another try the install
reported BIOS doesn't support ACPI?

"Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>I been dealing with this problem for about 6 weeks now, but today the
>problem escalated to the point I'm worried. On bootup at times POST would
>beep out keyboard failure, but turing system off and then on all would work
>well. Today on bootup I got the same beep error along with about 10 more
>seconds of random beeping. After 2 reboots all is working well again. Is
>this the sign of a MB failure soon to be? I have done all the normal stuff
>like removing the ram, cards, connectors, etc and still have the same
>problem.
>

> If/when I replace this MB what's the best way to do so since the drivers
> would be different. If I go into the HomeXP control panel and remove all
> the drivers for the MB should the upgrade be painless?
>
> Gigabyte GA-8PE667
> Intel 2.4 533FSB
>
> thanks

TRENDING THREADS