ES1371 Soundcard drivers

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard from a
friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl from official
Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se and win2k. After
installing it on both win versions, both win blows up with BSOD right
after restart. the problem persistent and only goes away when I uninstall
those drivers.

I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't found
the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by windows.
Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k, especially MIDI
port and the ability of changing wavesets for the softsynth.

Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?

TIA

peter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns95E3BE257195Crickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>,
something@somewhere.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard from a
> friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl from official
> Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se and win2k. After
> installing it on both win versions, both win blows up with BSOD right
> after restart. the problem persistent and only goes away when I uninstall
> those drivers.
>
> I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
> official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't found
> the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by windows.
> Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k, especially MIDI
> port and the ability of changing wavesets for the softsynth.
>
> Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?
>
> TIA

Have you tried the driverguide website:

www.driverguide.com

login driver2
password all
--
Pete Ives

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 19 Jan 2005 11:18:41 GMT, Ricky Romaya
<something@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard from a
>friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl from official
>Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se and win2k. After
>installing it on both win versions, both win blows up with BSOD right
>after restart. the problem persistent and only goes away when I uninstall
>those drivers.
>
>I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
>official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't found
>the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by windows.
>Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k, especially MIDI
>port and the ability of changing wavesets for the softsynth.
>
>Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?
>
>TIA

IIRC, Creative relabeled the Ensoniq 1371 as CT4810. Then
they used a broad "SBAUDIOSetupus.exe" along with a library
file per OS, for example, "sbapw2k.lib". That sbapw2k.lib
is the actual driver, AFAIK, the rest is just an installer
front-end and the mixer.

You might actually prefer to only install the "driver" part
of the driver, not the mixer, to try to isolate where the
whole package is BSOD'ing windows. Also if you aren't
running a newer-than-original DirectX version you might try
that as well, I'd try DX 8.1 first.

Anyway, the sbapw.2k.lib is a zip file, disguised.
If you rename it to sbapw2k.zip, you can unzip this actual
driver to a folder and install it the traditional way, by
browsing to it from Device Manager or when the card is
detected... at least I think either method will work, it's
been a while since I've dealt with one of those cards on
win2k. To find more driver versions you might try Googling
for that "sbapw2k.lib" and trying each version in turn. If
the driver alone works then next try installing using the
sbaudiosetupus.exe file, also available from various sources
by searching. Basically I'm trying to outline a method of
resolution instead of just linking a file because the odds
are good that another version will do same thing, BSOD,
unless you can narrow down what's causing it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in

> IIRC, Creative relabeled the Ensoniq 1371 as CT4810. Then
> they used a broad "SBAUDIOSetupus.exe" along with a library
> file per OS, for example, "sbapw2k.lib". That sbapw2k.lib
> is the actual driver, AFAIK, the rest is just an installer
> front-end and the mixer.

Yup, I've tried that as well others I found on driversguide.com. It gives
the same problem as with the latest WDM drivers I dl from the official
website.

Well, I don't know what causes the problem, but with the latest WDM
drivers, on win98se the BSOD screen reports "exception 06", and on win2k
"BLAH_IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN Blah".

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard from a
> friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl from official
> Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se and win2k. After
> installing it on both win versions, both win blows up with BSOD right
> after restart. the problem persistent and only goes away when I uninstall
> those drivers.
>
> I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
> official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't found
> the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by windows.
> Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k, especially MIDI
> port and the ability of changing wavesets for the softsynth.
>
> Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?
>
> TIA

This sound card is dependent on Microsoft Direct X! Make sure you have
the latest version installed and you have to have the drivers for it. I
have used this card on win98SE, so I know it will work with Win98.
Never tried it with Win2K. Why people insist on using Win2K, I just do
not understand. Win2K is slow as molasses loading even rudimentary
programs. However, good luck with your sound card.

You might have better luck with a soundcard that says it is Win2K
Compliant. The Card may work better with a specific update pack for
win2k of which I do beleive there are 4 now.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Last Boy Scout wrote:
[...]
> Never tried it with Win2K. Why people insist on using Win2K, I just do
> not understand. Win2K is slow as molasses loading even rudimentary
> programs. However, good luck with your sound card.

I can't answer for everyone, but I can answer for myself: I "insist" on
using Win2k because my experience with it has been vastly different from
yours. Specifically, I've never had any problems with Win2k's loading
speed (I wouldn't consider it slow at all), and it's quite stable -- I
tend to only reboot my desktop machines once every other month or so.

- Brooks

nitram

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard
> from a friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl
> from official Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se
> and win2k. After installing it on both win versions, both win blows
> up with BSOD right after restart. the problem persistent and only
> goes away when I uninstall those drivers.
>
> I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
> official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't
> found the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by
> windows. Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k,
> especially MIDI port and the ability of changing wavesets for the
> softsynth.
>
> Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?
>
> TIA

I'll ask the stupid question here. Have you installed the card in the slot
next to your AGP card? This has been known to cause problems with some
soundcards, and it would certainly be worth the short time required to try
another slot.

Regards

Martin

Nitram wrote:
> Ricky Romaya wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard
>>from a friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost. I tried to dl
>>from official Creative site, the most updated WDM drivers for win98se
>>and win2k. After installing it on both win versions, both win blows
>>up with BSOD right after restart. the problem persistent and only
>>goes away when I uninstall those drivers.
>>
>>I've managed to dl an older version driver for win98se still from the
>>official site, and it's working fine now. The problem is I haven't
>>found the win2k drivers which works, other than the default given by
>>windows. Some functionalities of the card lies dormant on win2k,
>>especially MIDI port and the ability of changing wavesets for the
>>softsynth.
>>
>>Anybody still have an older version of win2k driver for this card?
>>
>>TIA
>

> I'll ask the stupid question here. Have you installed the card in the slot
> next to your AGP card? This has been known to cause problems with some
> soundcards, and it would certainly be worth the short time required to try
> another slot.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

The IRQL not less than or equal is a hardware error that is often seen
on Windows XP. It is hardware that is causing it. Often it is bad
memory that causes it. I dont know if the soundcard is even supported
by Win2K or not. It may not be worth messing with that sound card. I
thought Win2k was just about ready to be dropped from support by
Microsoft, so I dont know if you can get any help from Microsoft or not.
What Update pack do you have installed on that? Did you upgrade
microsoft Direct X version?

I am pretty sure I have the original driver disk for the card. I found
it and looked at it and it does not have Win2K Drivers on it. It has
NT4 Drivers on it. So this card may not work with Win2K because it is
too old. You may have to break down and purchase a newer card.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote in

>> I'll ask the stupid question here. Have you installed the card in the
>> slot next to your AGP card? This has been known to cause problems
>> with some soundcards, and it would certainly be worth the short time
>> required to try another slot.

Nope, it's installed on the farthest possible PCI slot from the AGP slot.
In my case, there are 3 other PCI slots between the soundcard and the
AGP. AFAIK, from experience, it's a rule to keep soundcards and VGA as
far as possible, not only for some, but all.

> The IRQL not less than or equal is a hardware error that is often seen
> on Windows XP. It is hardware that is causing it. Often it is bad
> memory that causes it. I dont know if the soundcard is even supported
> by Win2K or not. It may not be worth messing with that sound card. I
> thought Win2k was just about ready to be dropped from support by
> Microsoft, so I dont know if you can get any help from Microsoft or
> not.
> What Update pack do you have installed on that? Did you upgrade
> microsoft Direct X version?

I'm using SP3 and DX9.0b. Well, I think I'll have to live with the
default win2k drivers. At least it doesn't give me any problems, yet.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:50:10 -0600, Last Boy Scout
<eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote:

>Never tried it with Win2K. Why people insist on using Win2K, I just do
>not understand. Win2K is slow as molasses loading even rudimentary
>programs. However, good luck with your sound card.

? I think your experience with Win2k is atypical. On a
system with lower memory throughput Win98 will seem faster,
but otherwise Win2k is as fast, even a shade faster than XP.
Heck, XP _IS_ 2K, but with more piled on top.

>You might have better luck with a soundcard that says it is Win2K
>Compliant. The Card may work better with a specific update pack for
>win2k of which I do beleive there are 4 now.

Speaking of updates, I wonder if Microsoft's driver could
simply be zipped up into that *.lib file, then when it comes
time to install, the "sbsetupus.exe" could be paired with
the Microsoft driver, to get both the working driver and the
Creative mixer & additional features.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:34:53 -0600, Last Boy Scout
<eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote:

>The IRQL not less than or equal is a hardware error that is often seen
>on Windows XP. It is hardware that is causing it. Often it is bad
>memory that causes it. I dont know if the soundcard is even supported
>by Win2K or not. It may not be worth messing with that sound card. I
>thought Win2k was just about ready to be dropped from support by
>Microsoft, so I dont know if you can get any help from Microsoft or not.
> What Update pack do you have installed on that? Did you upgrade
>microsoft Direct X version?

Wouldn't it be a really strong hint that it's supported when
Creative has a driver for it????? Or, what do you consider
"supported" to mean, that a crippled MS driver comes with
the OS?

>I am pretty sure I have the original driver disk for the card. I found
>it and looked at it and it does not have Win2K Drivers on it. It has
>NT4 Drivers on it. So this card may not work with Win2K because it is
>too old. You may have to break down and purchase a newer card.

Of course it didn't originally come with Win2K drivers for
it. Neither do video cards in half the systems running
today, because the original CD was made before any product
shipped, which is easily predating the end of the WIn2k
driver development period.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:00:00 UTC, Ricky Romaya <something@somewhere.com> wrote:

| Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote in

| > The IRQL not less than or equal is a hardware error that is often seen
| > on Windows XP. It is hardware that is causing it. Often it is bad
| > memory that causes it. I dont know if the soundcard is even supported
| > by Win2K or not. It may not be worth messing with that sound card. I
| > thought Win2k was just about ready to be dropped from support by
| > Microsoft, so I dont know if you can get any help from Microsoft or
| > not.
| > What Update pack do you have installed on that? Did you upgrade
| > microsoft Direct X version?
| >
| I'm using SP3 and DX9.0b. Well, I think I'll have to live with the
| default win2k drivers. At least it doesn't give me any problems, yet.

As I recall, /some/ Nt4.0 sound drivers will work with Win2k, and
there have been reports of the Ensoniq Audiopci driver working w/
it's wavetable and midi support.

Maybe worth a try? Disclaimer;; I have an original ES1370, and I'd
only had Win2k installed on my pc for a week before I hated it and
wiped the hdd ... :)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:34:53 UTC, Last Boy Scout <eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote:

| I am pretty sure I have the original driver disk for the card. I found
| it and looked at it and it does not have Win2K Drivers on it. It has
| NT4 Drivers on it. So this card may not work with Win2K because it is
| too old. You may have to break down and purchase a newer card.

Win2k shipped with a driver that supports the Audiopci as a
SB64pci. Which is it's other alias.

--

Spajky

>Ricky Romaya wrote:

>> I recently received a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) soundcard from a
>> friend. Unfortunately, the drivers are lost.

try here also:
http://www.formoza.ru/techsupport/drivers/sound/creative.html
http://www.creative-asia.com/support/drivers/download.asp?product=sbpci128&OS=WinXP
http://www.soundblaster.com/support/winxp/