MD5 for WIN XP SP1 and SP2.

Hello friends,

I got win xp sp2 on CD but a friend told me to check the MD5 # of it to see if
it is the original thing and sent me a software to check it. I am currently
looking for the MD5 number for win xp SP1 (not sp1a) and SP2.

Strangely I have tried to look for it on the Internet through google and have
not find it yet.

Please let me know the MD5 for SP1 and SP2 and the exact size of each file.

A big thank you for your help.

Cheers.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:17:54 +0400, RayOfLight
<RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:

>Hello friends,
>
>I got win xp sp2 on CD but a friend told me to check the MD5 # of it to see if
>it is the original thing and sent me a software to check it. I am currently
>looking for the MD5 number for win xp SP1 (not sp1a) and SP2.
>
>Strangely I have tried to look for it on the Internet through google and have
>not find it yet.
>
>Please let me know the MD5 for SP1 and SP2 and the exact size of each file.
>
>A big thank you for your help.
>
>Cheers.

How many people do you think check MD5SUM on their CD?
What leads you to suspect it's not the "original thing", and
what do you think will happen if it's not the "original
thing". Do you even want the original thing?

If it's that much of a concern, just download it direct from
MS.

>How many people do you think check MD5SUM on their CD?

Not many! But more should!

>What leads you to suspect it's not the "original thing"

The file size is 272 MB which is suspect! It should be around 260MB.

>what do you think will happen if it's not the "original
>thing".

You know perfectly what will happen!

>Do you even want the original thing?

What a question!!! Of course!

>If it's that much of a concern, just download it direct from
>MS

That's impossible for me! As i have a slow dial up connection that i pay for by
the minute...

Thanks for your help.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:25:41 +0400, RayOfLight
<RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:

>>How many people do you think check MD5SUM on their CD?
>
>Not many! But more should!
>
>>What leads you to suspect it's not the "original thing"
>
>The file size is 272 MB which is suspect! It should be around 260MB.

"should" be around 260MB? What makes you think that?

>>what do you think will happen if it's not the "original
>>thing".
>
>You know perfectly what will happen!

No, I don't. You think somebody tried to add a virus or
somesuch? You might want to take a look at it instead of
just the archived filesize.

>>Do you even want the original thing?
>
>What a question!!! Of course!

Why? There are the RC2, RTM, English (or other language)
only, & other variants of it. There is not just 1 "SP2"
distro. Usually one would not want the "original thing",
they'd want the latest thing, or the full thing, or whatever
thing applied to their needs. Perhaps more significant is
whether you trust the source of the file. If it isn't a
single compressed archive meant for web download, then of
course it's going to be a larger size than it otherwise
would.

>>If it's that much of a concern, just download it direct from
>>MS
>
>That's impossible for me! As i have a slow dial up connection that i pay for by
>the minute...
>
>Thanks for your help.

Then order the CD from MS.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:00:37 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>Then order the CD from MS.

This is exactly what I will do actually. This is the only fool proof method.
Thanks for your input (however sarcastic it was! :) ).

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:25:41 +0400, RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:

>>How many people do you think check MD5SUM on their CD?
>
>Not many! But more should!
>
>>What leads you to suspect it's not the "original thing"
>
>The file size is 272 MB which is suspect! It should be around 260MB.

FWIW, downloaded from here;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7

which leads to here;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

It claims the file size is 272391 KB

I downloaded it (I Don't use XP).
The MD5 directly downloaded from M$ is;

59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

SHA1 is;

33a8fef60d48ae1f2c4feea27111af5ceca3c4f6

Enjoy.

>>what do you think will happen if it's not the "original
>>thing".
>
>You know perfectly what will happen!
>
>>Do you even want the original thing?
>
>What a question!!! Of course!
>
>>If it's that much of a concern, just download it direct from
>>MS
>
>That's impossible for me! As i have a slow dial up connection that i pay for by
>the minute...
>
>Thanks for your help.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:53:41 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:25:41 +0400, RayOfLight <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:
>
>>>How many people do you think check MD5SUM on their CD?
>>
>>Not many! But more should!
>>
>>>What leads you to suspect it's not the "original thing"
>>
>>The file size is 272 MB which is suspect! It should be around 260MB.
>>
>FWIW, downloaded from here;
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7
>
>which leads to here;
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>
>It claims the file size is 272391 KB

272391000 / 1.024 / 1.024 = 259772301 = 260MB ???

- Franc Zabkar

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:57:08 +1100, Franc Zabkar <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:53:41 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord)
>put finger to keyboard and composed:

>>>Not many! But more should!

>>>The file size is 272 MB which is suspect! It should be around 260MB.
>>>
>>FWIW, downloaded from here;
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7
>>
>>which leads to here;
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>>
>>It claims the file size is 272391 KB
>
>272391000 / 1.024 / 1.024 = 259772301 = 260MB ???
>
>- Franc Zabkar
>--
You know how that goes. The number above I pasted from the M$ site.
Highlighting the downloaded file in Windows Explorer calls it 266 MB
in the sidebar. A prompt window DIR calls it 278,927,692 bytes.
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost