How to detect capabilities

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other than
reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is the
L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and supports
UltraDMA xx.

TIA

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other than
> reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is
> the
> L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and supports
> UltraDMA xx.
>
> TIA

CPUID for the CPU. For the hard drive, just open up the case and read the
model number. At worst, you might have to temporarily remove the hard drive
to read the model number. But this should only take a philips screwdriver
to do. Then go to the web site of whoever manufactured the hard drive and
look up the specs. If you don't know the web site, go to www.pricewatch.com
, search for a hard drive of the same brand name. Then click on the
manufacturer and you will be directed to the manufacturer's web site. -Dave

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

On 20 Jan 2005 22:03:45 GMT, Ricky Romaya <something@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other than
>reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is the
>L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and supports
>UltraDMA xx.
>
>TIA

google for sisoftsandra, I think they have a free version that will
give you what you are looking for

get rid of the incompetent FBI!

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other than
> reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is the
> L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and supports
> UltraDMA xx.
>
> TIA

For CPU: http://www.cpuid.com - download and run!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

SiSoft
Google, download & run it.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other
than
> > reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is
> > the
> > L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and
supports
> > UltraDMA xx.
> >
> > TIA
>
> CPUID for the CPU. For the hard drive, just open up the case and read the
> model number. At worst, you might have to temporarily remove the hard
drive
> to read the model number. But this should only take a philips screwdriver
> to do. Then go to the web site of whoever manufactured the hard drive and
> look up the specs. If you don't know the web site, go to
www.pricewatch.com
> , search for a hard drive of the same brand name. Then click on the
> manufacturer and you will be directed to the manufacturer's web
ite. -Dave

> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How can I detect the physical capabilities of the CPU and HDD, other than
> reading what the vendor gave me? Especially, I want to know how much is
> the
> L2 cache of the CPU/processor and whether the HDD have SMART and supports
> UltraDMA xx.
>
> TIA

Everest Home edition will tell you all you need to know. Free download from
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en