Stormcrow

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

I've just built a new pc recently so I've given my old one away.
The problem is they have just tried it and said they get the xp splash
screen then the screen goes black. I gave them the box only so they
are using their old 15inch monitor which is about 6 years old so could
it be just a compatibility problem with the monitor as the pc was
working ok for me.

When I tested it I had the resolution set to 1280x1024 and I forgot
they had a old monitor which could not handle that resolution could
that be the problem??

Athlon XP 2400
768mb pc 2100
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
Asus A9250/TD ATI Radeon 9250 128MB
Onboard sound

Thanks

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:10:19 +0000, StormCrow <stormcrowukSpa@mFreegmail.com>
wrote:

>When I tested it I had the resolution set to 1280x1024 and I forgot
>they had a old monitor which could not handle that resolution could
>that be the problem??

Very likely.

Have them start up in safe mode, then select 800x600 instead. Or even 640x480

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Stormcrow

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:26:24 +0800, Christopher Pollard
<rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

>>>Very likely.
>>>
>>>Have them start up in safe mode, then select 800x600 instead. Or even 640x480

Got them to do that changed to 640x480 colour to 16 bit click apply
then restart but still the screen goes black after the splash screen
???

StormCrow wrote:

> Got them to do that changed to 640x480 colour to 16 bit click apply
> then restart but still the screen goes black after the splash screen
> ???

Graphics card set to use 'second monitor' ?

Computer has a DVI out slot with a double VGA cable, and monitor is plugged
into the wrong one?

John.

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:34:26 +0000, StormCrow
<stormcrowukSpa@mFreegmail.com> wrote:

>Got them to do that changed to 640x480 colour to 16 bit click apply
>then restart but still the screen goes black after the splash screen
>???
Does that mean they were able to view it in Safe Mode, to change the
settings?

If so they can obviously use the monitor and its just a matter of
finding the right setting.

KM

Stormcrow

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:02:11 +0000, km <kev@m.fr.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Does that mean they were able to view it in Safe Mode, to change the
>>>settings?
>>>
>>>If so they can obviously use the monitor and its just a matter of
>>>finding the right setting.

Yes they could view ok in safe mode they changed it to 800x600 and
then to 640x480 but no luck each time. I had to talk them through it
on the phone so I'm not 100% sure they did it ok but I think they did.

I'm thinking of ordering myself a IIyama Vision Master 514 - 22" so
they may end up with my 19" IIyama in a week or so anyway which will
sort it out.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:10:19 +0000, StormCrow wrote:

> When I tested it I had the resolution set to 1280x1024 and I forgot
> they had a old monitor which could not handle that resolution could
> that be the problem??

Highly likely.

Most 15" monitors, even if they can handle 1280 x 1024, are likely to be
only able to draw the screen at 60hz. Best to try 1024 x 768 (75hz should
be fine) until you have confirmed your monitor specifications.

"StormCrow" <stormcrowukSpa@mFreegmail.com> wrote in message news:seb5v0p988dbcfo1kf4i5k2ucjkbskndgh@4ax.com...

> Yes they could view ok in safe mode they changed it to 800x600 and
> then to 640x480 but no luck each time. I had to talk them through it
> on the phone so I'm not 100% sure they did it ok but I think they did.

If they succeeded in changing to 640x480 and still got no display,
then it would seem their problem must be related to refresh rate.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:50:57 +0000, StormCrow <stormcrowukSpa@mFreegmail.com>
wrote:

>Yes they could view ok in safe mode they changed it to 800x600 and
>then to 640x480 but no luck each time. I had to talk them through it

Try this:
Boot up in safe mode, go to My Computer>properties and delete the current
monitor. Reboot and it ought to find the new one.

It's got to be worth a try.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Stormcrow

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:04:19 +0800, Christopher Pollard

>>>Try this:
>>>Boot up in safe mode, go to My Computer>properties and delete the current
>>>monitor. Reboot and it ought to find the new one.
>>>
>>>It's got to be worth a try.
>>>
>>>--

Got them to do that but there was no monitor on the list ??
Graphics

Tried to get them to change the refresh rate but again no option to
change that in safe mode ??

They are going to bring it back to me next week so I can sort it out
here.