Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

I'm trying to get XP to boot in hope I can recvover some files since my MB
is dying. When I hit F8 and try all options it hangs on one driver
(agp440.sys). Is there a way to get around this like win98 had?

Thanks

In article <JqrId.6$w7.1@fe61.usenetserver.com>, Woodchuck says...
> I'm trying to get XP to boot in hope I can recvover some files since my MB
> is dying. When I hit F8 and try all options it hangs on one driver
> (agp440.sys). Is there a way to get around this like win98 had?

SAfe mode, no drivers.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

How do I force Xp to not load drivers?

How do I do XP repair?

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <JqrId.6$w7.1@fe61.usenetserver.com>, Woodchuck says...
>> I'm trying to get XP to boot in hope I can recvover some files since my
>> MB
>> is dying. When I hit F8 and try all options it hangs on one driver
>> (agp440.sys). Is there a way to get around this like win98 had?
>>
> SAfe mode, no drivers.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

Woodchuck

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

After looking around I think a better choice would be:

IS7
AI7
AS8

could someone rank theese in order of good, better, best? I may also just
purchase SATA drive too. Is there a difference between the western digital
regular & caviar series drive?

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <JqrId.6$w7.1@fe61.usenetserver.com>, Woodchuck says...
>> I'm trying to get XP to boot in hope I can recvover some files since my
>> MB
>> is dying. When I hit F8 and try all options it hangs on one driver
>> (agp440.sys). Is there a way to get around this like win98 had?
>>
> SAfe mode, no drivers.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get XP to boot in hope I can recvover some files
> since my MB is dying. When I hit F8 and try all options it hangs
> on one driver (agp440.sys). Is there a way to get around this
> like win98 had?
>
> Thanks

Take the drive out and chuck it in another (WinXP or linux machine
if NTFS) pc and copy the files onto some other media. Generally a
bad idea to try and get a backup from a failing machine, you may
have problems with data corruption.

--
Ian

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:01:58 -0500, "Woodchuck"
<stv_euroski@yahoo.com> wrote:

>How do I force Xp to not load drivers?

BOOT TO SAFE MODE.

>How do I do XP repair?

Boot WIndows CD, choose install, then choose repair.

Since agp440.sys is an AGP driver, perhaps resetting bios to
defaults and/or setting bios agp settings to their lowest
would help, or maybe putting a PCI video card in instead (I
don't know).