Screen appearance in Win 2k?

Hello friends,

I have just installed Win 2k SP4 on a PC with 20 Gb HD, 1.2Ghz Pentium Celeron
with 128 Mb Ram. Everything went ok only that the screen colour is very faint -
just like when we boot in safe mode.

On the screen settings it is at 16bit colour and is the only option available.

Kindly help me out. Thanks a lot.
7 answers Last reply
More about screen appearance

    "RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
    > Hello friends,
    >
    > I have just installed Win 2k SP4 on a PC with 20 Gb HD, 1.2Ghz Pentium
    Celeron
    > with 128 Mb Ram. Everything went ok only that the screen colour is very
    faint -
    > just like when we boot in safe mode.
    >
    > On the screen settings it is at 16bit colour and is the only option
    available.

    > Kindly help me out. Thanks a lot.

    You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
    not 16 bit which is 65K colors.

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote:

    >You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
    >not 16 bit which is 65K colors.

    Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if the
    video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install the
    driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot do it
    as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.

    Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet. Thanks.

    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
    wrote:

    > >You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16
    colors
    > >not 16 bit which is 65K colors.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if
    the
    > video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install
    the
    > driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot
    do it
    > as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.
    >
    > Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet.
    Thanks.

    I've never done it that way. I like knowing what I and the computer are
    doing. It checks M$ update for the drivers and that's not be the best way to
    get them. YMMV

    Update the Display Adapter driver in Device Manager and click the
    appropriate box for where you want to search. Good Luck

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0400, RayOfLight
    <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
    >>not 16 bit which is 65K colors.
    >
    >Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if the
    >video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install the
    >driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot do it
    >as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.
    >
    >Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet. Thanks.

    There is no benefit to "install the driver from the Internet
    automatically". You're better off just doing it the normal
    way, that is:

    1) Identify the video.

    2) If an OEM box, go to OEM website.

    3) If you want newer driver, go to chipset maker's website.

    4) Download the file and put it where it's available should
    it ever be needed again.

    5) Install it.

    By trying to avoid these normal steps you're only making
    things difficult when they shouldn't be.

    Thanks for your reply guys. Also to identify the video is there any small
    software I can use that will give me all the details? I really do not want to
    open the pc and look for the details.

    Thanks for your replies.

    "RayOfLight" wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply guys. Also to identify the video is there any small
    > software I can use that will give me all the details? I really do not want
    > open the pc and look for the details.

    If you want a software to tell you about your video card (and your other
    hardware), I suggest using Everest home edition:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

    Or SiSoft Sandra:
    http://www.sisoftware.net/

    Either of them will tell you what you want to know.

    Jon

    Thanks Jon for the software. Cheers.

Homebuilt Systems