Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Screen appearance in Win 2k?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2005 1:34:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hello friends,

I have just installed Win 2k SP4 on a PC with 20 Gb HD, 1.2Ghz Pentium Celeron
with 128 Mb Ram. Everything went ok only that the screen colour is very faint -
just like when we boot in safe mode.

On the screen settings it is at 16bit colour and is the only option available.

Kindly help me out. Thanks a lot.

More about : screen appearance win

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2005 1:34:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:hh45v0hjcevtg7emhaic7lds1g3qefduk6@4ax.com...
> Hello friends,
>
> I have just installed Win 2k SP4 on a PC with 20 Gb HD, 1.2Ghz Pentium
Celeron
> with 128 Mb Ram. Everything went ok only that the screen colour is very
faint -
> just like when we boot in safe mode.
>
> On the screen settings it is at 16bit colour and is the only option
available.
>
> Kindly help me out. Thanks a lot.

You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
not 16 bit which is 65K colors.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2005 10:25:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote:

>You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
>not 16 bit which is 65K colors.

Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if the
video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install the
driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot do it
as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.

Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet. Thanks.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2005 10:25:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"RayOfLight" <RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote in message
news:roo8v01sasuqp67vrhtmoekthde20art30@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:
>
> >You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16
colors
> >not 16 bit which is 65K colors.
>
> Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if
the
> video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install
the
> driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot
do it
> as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.
>
> Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet.
Thanks.
>
I've never done it that way. I like knowing what I and the computer are
doing. It checks M$ update for the drivers and that's not be the best way to
get them. YMMV

Update the Display Adapter driver in Device Manager and click the
appropriate box for where you want to search. Good Luck
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2005 8:58:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0400, RayOfLight
<RayOfLight@intnet.mu> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:49:24 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>You need to install drivers for the video card. I assume you mean 16 colors
>>not 16 bit which is 65K colors.
>
>Thanks for your reply. I do not have the driver CD and I do not know if the
>video card is onboard or separate. I would like to download and install the
>driver from the Internet automatically. But from device manager I cannot do it
>as it only accepts the driver only from a downloaded file.
>
>Kindly let me know how I can do it automatically from the Internet. Thanks.

There is no benefit to "install the driver from the Internet
automatically". You're better off just doing it the normal
way, that is:

1) Identify the video.

2) If an OEM box, go to OEM website.

3) If you want newer driver, go to chipset maker's website.

4) Download the file and put it where it's available should
it ever be needed again.

5) Install it.

By trying to avoid these normal steps you're only making
things difficult when they shouldn't be.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 1:47:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for your reply guys. Also to identify the video is there any small
software I can use that will give me all the details? I really do not want to
open the pc and look for the details.

Thanks for your replies.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 1:47:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"RayOfLight" wrote:
> Thanks for your reply guys. Also to identify the video is there any small
> software I can use that will give me all the details? I really do not want
to
> open the pc and look for the details.

If you want a software to tell you about your video card (and your other
hardware), I suggest using Everest home edition:
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

Or SiSoft Sandra:
http://www.sisoftware.net/

Either of them will tell you what you want to know.

Jon
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 6:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks Jon for the software. Cheers.
!