PC not remembering bios settings?

On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on exit
then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart the pc
and the sane thing may happen again.

Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?

Thanks in advance

Board is K7S5A running WINxp.

Dee

mark davies wrote:

> On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
> reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on exit
> then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart the pc
> and the sane thing may happen again.
>
> Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Board is K7S5A running WINxp.

The battery for the CMOS, which holds your BIOS settings, probably needs
replaced.

steveh

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> mark davies wrote:
>
>> On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
>> reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on
>> exit
>> then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart the
>> pc
>> and the sane thing may happen again.
>>
>> Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Board is K7S5A running WINxp.
>>

> The battery for the CMOS, which holds your BIOS settings, probably needs
> replaced.

Almost certainly, on a K7S5A.

SteveH

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:07:22 -0000, "mark davies"
<md@mdavies7.plus.com> wrote:

>On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
>reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on exit
>then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart the pc
>and the sane thing may happen again.
>
>Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Board is K7S5A running WINxp.

You're lucky to ahve a K7S5A that still works - or almost
does. Maybe battery, maybe capacitors have popped, maybe
power supply has inadequate power... was marginal but now
below that margin. Maybe drive jumpered wrong? You've
provided no detail of whether the system was previously
working fine in same config or different config or if this
is a "new" rebuild.

mark davies wrote:
> On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
> reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on exit
> then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart the pc
> and the sane thing may happen again.
>
> Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Board is K7S5A running WINxp.

had the same problem on my k7s5a, cured by flashing bios.
i used honeyx bios and it works fine now - plus its running a small oc :)
cheers

balge wrote:
> mark davies wrote:
>
>> On startup my pc is having problems seeing my harddrive. I then have to
>> reboot, enter setup and find the drive using F3. Save the settings on
>> exit
>> then the pc loads windows and all is fine - that is until I restart
>> the pc
>> and the sane thing may happen again.
>>
>> Anyone any idea why it might be losing the bios info?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Board is K7S5A running WINxp.
>>

> had the same problem on my k7s5a, cured by flashing bios.
> i used honeyx bios and it works fine now - plus its running a small oc :)
> cheers

http://www.lejabeach.com/Pro/k7s5aProBIOS.html

link for honeyx etc