System Restarts - HD to blame?

kenneth

Just put together a new system and am having some problems with it.
It's an Asus K8V-8 motherboard with 512MB DDR PC2700 and a 3000+ AMD 64
in it. GeForce Ti4200 and Soundblaster Audigy from the old system.
It's got two hard drives, a Maxtor 60GB and a Western Digital 120GB,
both EIDE.

Having experimented with Linux a time or two in the past, I wanted to
try out Ubuntu 64bit edition. Install went fine into a 10GB partition
that I left free on the Maxtor, up to the point where it loaded GRUB to
start Linux. It died, leaving the text "Loading GRUB 1.5. Loading GRUB
please wait". I tried installing another Linux distribution, Mandrake,
and this time all I got for the bootloader was an "L" and a cursor under it.

I couldn't get Windows to boot, couldn't even get my XP CD to get to the
install process. It would go blank after informing me that it was
Detecting my Computer's Hardware. Heck, I couldn't even get a Windows
bootdisk to come up, it would freeze on me. Finally I got an ME
bootdisk to work and formatted the MBR. Well, after sucessfully
installing Windows and having no problems, I tried Ubuntu 64 again.
Same thing, only this time even the Windows 98 or ME bootdisks wouldn't
work. I got an old DOS bootdisk and FDISKED all the partitions, Windows
and Linux both, and I was able to get XP installed again. Haven't been
brave enough to try Linux since.

However, I find that now I get occasional restarts on the system. The
only common denominator I can think of is that I'm working on the D:\
drive, or transferring files from D:\ to C:\. The 120GB D:\ drive is
over 90% full, I'm sitting at having around 5-10GB free. Don't know if
that makes a difference. I'm considering investing in a couple of SATA
drives to replace them.

Occasionally, the restart will leave an event in the Event Viewer, but I
don't know how to read it:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 1/22/2005
Time: 10:04:51 PM
User: N/A
Computer: KENNETH
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf80f9d8,
parameter3 f2bc6084, parameter4 00000000.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38 1000008
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c0
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005,
0038: 62 66 38 30 66 39 64 38 bf80f9d8
0040: 2c 20 66 32 62 63 36 30 , f2bc60
0048: 38 34 2c 20 30 30 30 30 84, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

And a few minutes later...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 1/22/2005
Time: 10:09:48 PM
User: N/A
Computer: KENNETH
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 002de9fc, parameter2 00000002,
parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8051d787.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 30 1000000
0020: 61 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d a Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 32 64 65 39 66 63 2c 20 2de9fc,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 00000002
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
0048: 30 31 2c 20 38 30 35 31 01, 8051
0050: 64 37 38 37 d787

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Kenneth

Thunder

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:15:35 -0600, Kenneth wrote:

> Having experimented with Linux a time or two in the past, I wanted to
> try out Ubuntu 64bit edition. Install went fine into a 10GB partition
> that I left free on the Maxtor, up to the point where it loaded GRUB to
> start Linux. It died, leaving the text "Loading GRUB 1.5. Loading GRUB
> please wait". I tried installing another Linux distribution, Mandrake,
> and this time all I got for the bootloader was an "L" and a cursor under
> it.

FWIW, I've not used Ubuntu, but it is based on Debian, my distro of
choice. In the above, Mandrake is using lilo, and Ubunto obviouly, GRUB.
However, both are failing at the same point. Both have loaded their first
stage from the mbr, but are then failing. That usually indicates a
geometry mismatch or media failure. Have you checked your bios settings
for that disk? Switched any jumpers?

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/1998/03/kgw_lilo_errmsg.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

> I couldn't get Windows to boot, couldn't even get my XP CD to get to the
> install process. It would go blank after informing me that it was
> Detecting my Computer's Hardware. Heck, I couldn't even get a Windows
> bootdisk to come up, it would freeze on me. Finally I got an ME
> bootdisk to work and formatted the MBR. Well, after sucessfully
> installing Windows and having no problems, I tried Ubuntu 64 again. Same
> thing, only this time even the Windows 98 or ME bootdisks wouldn't work.
> I got an old DOS bootdisk and FDISKED all the partitions, Windows and
> Linux both, and I was able to get XP installed again. Haven't been
> brave enough to try Linux since.

Not overly surprising. Any time I've tried to install Windows over Linux,
Windows chokes. It doesn't recognize the new mbr code or the file system.
I've given up trying to re-install Windows. ;-) I'm running the
unofficial debian-pure64. The installer wasn't quite as smooth as
Debian's normal fare, but I'm quite happy with the results.

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/

Dee

First thing i would check is the master/slave jumpers on the drives are
right, and even try the drives in a different config.

Dee

Dee

Dee <i.h@te.spam.com> wrote:

> First thing i would check is the master/slave jumpers on the drives are
> right, and even try the drives in a different config.
>
> Dee

The fake 'Dee' is a wankin' pervert from Australia!

Dee

In article <lKWId.462$Jz3.375@fe39.usenetserver.com>, dee@home.net
says...
> Dee <i.h@te.spam.com> wrote:
>
> > First thing i would check is the master/slave jumpers on the drives are
> > right, and even try the drives in a different config.
> >
> > Dee
>
> The fake 'Dee' is a wankin' pervert from Australia!

grow up will ya shitfa

DEE

Dee

Dee wrote:

> In article <lKWId.462$Jz3.375@fe39.usenetserver.com>, dee@home.net
> says...
>
>>Dee <i.h@te.spam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>First thing i would check is the master/slave jumpers on the drives are
>>>right, and even try the drives in a different config.
>>>
>>>Dee
>>
>>The fake 'Dee' is a wankin' pervert from Australia!
>>

> grow up will ya shitfa
>
> DEE

I guess you're right. To copy someone, or adopt their name, is one of
the highest forms of admiration for that person!

I guess I was surprised because I'm not used to someone wanting to
imitate me!

Thanks, sweetheart!!!

Dee...

Dee

> I guess you're right. To copy someone, or adopt their name, is one of
> the highest forms of admiration for that person!
>
> I guess I was surprised because I'm not used to someone wanting to
> imitate me!
>
> Thanks, sweetheart!!!
>
> Dee...

no problem, nice to see your over your temper tantrum. but it gave us
all a great laugh here. had a mental picture of a little kid kicking and
screaming on the floor saying "but daddy, he used 'MY' letters of the
alphabet!! wahhh wahhh"

I mean whats the chanches of 2 people in the world having the same
nickname ..... incredible !!

to save confusion i'll identify myself clearly in the txt from now on.

Dee <---- the mature one