Updating a P3 to a P4 - is this an SP2 Problem...(read)...!

Hello Group, I'm rebuilding a friend's computer - it has Win-XP - Home
edition (upgrade). And he had installed all the Win updates including SP2.

Old computer was a Pentium 3 - 800 mhz on a SuperMicro motherboard.

New computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.2 Ghz on a SuperMicro motherboard p4sba+

Put the new computer together and the HD won't start up...!!!!!

removed all components but the HD (60gb western digital) and graphics card
and floppy.
Computer starts up - post goes a.o.k. The screen shows the HDD being
recognized, also the RAm is recognized and correct. All goes well during
the startup, but then I'm presented with the MS Win screen that says Windows
did not start successfully...etc... (lists other win info) then... Offers
Safe mode - Safe mode with networking - Safe mode with command prompt as
start up selections along with Start Win Normally - - then the screen offers
MS advice to choose "start win normally"
There's also a count down timer....!

NO MATTER which one I select - the screen freezes...!!!!?!?!?!?

I've tried different graphics cards, different motherboards, etc...!

Is there something in Win SP2 that is preventing the drive from starting
up?????

If this IS AN SP2 Problem - then how do I upgrade the friend's computer???

I'm using all of the same components, just a different Motherboard, ram and
cpu, which should be O.K. to do with the Win XP (upgrade that he has?????)

I mean... old motherboards do wear out...

Starz_Kid...

"Starz_Kid" <Starz_Kid@anon.org> wrote in message

| Hello Group, I'm rebuilding a friend's computer - it has Win-XP - Home
| edition (upgrade). And he had installed all the Win updates including SP2.
|
| Old computer was a Pentium 3 - 800 mhz on a SuperMicro motherboard.
|
| New computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.2 Ghz on a SuperMicro motherboard p4sba+
|
| Put the new computer together and the HD won't start up...!!!!!
|
| removed all components but the HD (60gb western digital) and graphics card
| and floppy.
| Computer starts up - post goes a.o.k. The screen shows the HDD being
| recognized, also the RAm is recognized and correct. All goes well during
| the startup, but then I'm presented with the MS Win screen that says
Windows
| did not start successfully...etc... (lists other win info) then... Offers
| Safe mode - Safe mode with networking - Safe mode with command prompt as
| start up selections along with Start Win Normally - - then the screen
offers
| MS advice to choose "start win normally"
| There's also a count down timer....!
|
| NO MATTER which one I select - the screen freezes...!!!!?!?!?!?
|
| I've tried different graphics cards, different motherboards, etc...!
|
| Is there something in Win SP2 that is preventing the drive from starting
| up?????
|
| If this IS AN SP2 Problem - then how do I upgrade the friend's computer???
|
| I'm using all of the same components, just a different Motherboard, ram
and
| cpu, which should be O.K. to do with the Win XP (upgrade that he has?????)
|
| I mean... old motherboards do wear out...

You'll need to insert your XP CD and perform a repair install. The hardware
is different and you've got some driver upgrading to do.

If the motherboard is changed, you MUST re-install Windows.

It is not the SP2 which causes problems.

Sometimes Windows XP, plain XP without any SP, or in some case SP1,
can detect the new motherboard, and start with barely basic drivers. You can
update drivers, but it will take many reboot, and probably will take more
time
to adjust than a fresh and clean re-installation.

Better re-installing WinXP because that will give you less headache.

Back up all data, save all needed files and data into another partition or
another hard disk before re-installation.