Motherboards

Hunter

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I've had two Soyo motherboards died within a week of each other. The
oldest is 8 months old. I'm not overclocking or anything like that.
Just trying for a very stable setup. Which manufacturer would you use
for a stable, mom & pop type motherboard?

Thanks

I'm sure there are fans of every MB maker. Asus doesn't tend to make plain
vanilla boards, but I think top quality for a good price. I've got four
machines running with Asus boards, the oldest is two years, the newer ones
about a year and have had no problems what so ever
"Hunter" <dhunter@pld.com> wrote in message
> I've had two Soyo motherboards died within a week of each other. The
> oldest is 8 months old. I'm not overclocking or anything like that.
> Just trying for a very stable setup. Which manufacturer would you use
> for a stable, mom & pop type motherboard?
>
> Thanks

Asus & Intel.

If you run Prescott processors, don't neglect chassis cooling:
o CPU VRM is pushed very hard on the higher end Prescotts
---- current draw is close to the original ref design limits Intel provided
o CPU VRM thus requires a fair bit of cooling
---- re regulators & capacitors around the CPU
---- they can run very warm, too warm & life is noticeable shortened
o Hence the Approved Intel Chassis bit on the m/b box

Not too different for the AMD CPUs these days either.

Supermicro is another candidate, a good server board maker.

If AMD - Asus; if Intel - Asus or Intel.
Soyo is more a budget brand of board re market position.

However whatever the make you still need data backed up :)
--
Dorothy Bradbury

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:54:31 -0500, "RBM" <rmottola1(remove
this)@optonline.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I'm sure there are fans of every MB maker. Asus doesn't tend to make plain
>vanilla boards, but I think top quality for a good price. I've got four
>machines running with Asus boards, the oldest is two years, the newer ones
>about a year and have had no problems what so ever

I'm still running a PCChips M571 socket 7 board that is about 6 years
old, and a Biostar 486/66 that's about 10 years old. No problems to
date.

>"Hunter" <dhunter@pld.com> wrote in message
>> I've had two Soyo motherboards died within a week of each other. The
>> oldest is 8 months old. I'm not overclocking or anything like that.
>> Just trying for a very stable setup. Which manufacturer would you use
>> for a stable, mom & pop type motherboard?
>>
>> Thanks

- Franc Zabkar