Wireless Network Card

I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built and
found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question is
if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that leaves
my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.

Thanks,

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:12:57 GMT, "Baad Boy" <Boybaad@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built and
>found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
>and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
>distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question is
>if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that leaves
>my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.
>
>Thanks,

It's his setup that is not secure, not necessarily yours. Like the
other poster said, on your wireless router hide your SSID, enable the
strongest encryption you can, use restricted MAC addressing, and don't
share drives from the root. And remember the amount you should worry
about it is directly proportional to how much you have to lose.

You should inform your neighbour asap his network is insecure. Just
as soon as you've copied all his MP3s that is.

nl

>>I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built and
>>found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
>>and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
>>distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question is
>>if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that leaves
>>my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

> It's his setup that is not secure, not necessarily yours. Like the
> other poster said, on your wireless router hide your SSID, enable the
> strongest encryption you can, use restricted MAC addressing, and don't
> share drives from the root. And remember the amount you should worry
> about it is directly proportional to how much you have to lose.

He didn't say he had a router. He has a network card. PCI sounds like?

Anyway, when you have a wireless network adapter, you are not by default
creating a network, unless you turn on Internet Connection Sharing via
your wireless card. If say, you are connected via ethernet to the
internet, people will not be able to connect to you and browse the
internet off your computer the way you're doing, unless you specifically
let them (and even then it's not easy like stumbling onto someone else's
network like you did).

However, keep in mind that since you are on his network, it's possible
for him to see what you're sending/receiving, and possibly mess with
your computer. I'd start by turning off file sharing, and turning ON
Windows firewall.

That depends on how you configure your base station..
If you do nothing, it's a two-way street, i.e. you use your neighbors line
and he and everybody else uses yours......

When setting up the base station (there are 4 RJ45 ports on it?, so connect
by cable while setting up), hide SSID, use DHCP (aren't they all
routers?),allow only specific MACs access, use WAP encryption.
And no admin access from the wireless side, you usually have to do it only
once.
And a strong password anyway!!

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:21:28 -0500, o-chan <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote:

>>>I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built and
>>>found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
>>>and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
>>>distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question is
>>>if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that leaves
>>>my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>

>> It's his setup that is not secure, not necessarily yours. Like the
>> other poster said, on your wireless router hide your SSID, enable the
>> strongest encryption you can, use restricted MAC addressing, and don't
>> share drives from the root. And remember the amount you should worry
>> about it is directly proportional to how much you have to lose.
>
>He didn't say he had a router. He has a network card. PCI sounds like?

Why would he install a wireless network card unless he wanted to pick
up a signal from a router of his own? Unless the whole intent was to
find out if he could pick up someone else's network? Admittedly he
doesn't sound very well-informed about networking in general but
buying a wifi card without having a signal for it to connect to seems
to be putting the cart before the horse.

>Anyway, when you have a wireless network adapter, you are not by default
>creating a network, unless you turn on Internet Connection Sharing via
>your wireless card. If say, you are connected via ethernet to the
>internet, people will not be able to connect to you and browse the
>internet off your computer the way you're doing, unless you specifically
>let them (and even then it's not easy like stumbling onto someone else's
>network like you did).

You're presuming he has a firewall installed and operating
effectively. Without one any PC connected to the Internet by ethernet
will be hacked, infected and busting with Trojans in about 15 minutes.
It's not people browsing the Net through his machine that should worry
him, it's people using the Net to browse through his machine.

If he has a wireless router, and it's not an unreasonable assumption
to make if he has a wireless network card, he is open to a different
sort of threat. Many home wi-fi setups come with security turned off
by default - like his neighbour's. Namely, SSID set to broadcast, no
encryption, no restriction on MAC addresses. The only advantage it
that it makes the network easier to set up for beginners because
everyone can see everything.

>However, keep in mind that since you are on his network, it's possible
>for him to see what you're sending/receiving, and possibly mess with
>your computer.

I doubt a neighbour dumb enough to leave his network wide open would
be sussed enough to see what the OP is sending/receiving. But it's
true that unless the OP takes some basic security measures the
neighbour will be able to browse his PC.

>I'd start by turning off file sharing, and turning ON
>Windows firewall.

If he's got a network of his own he is going to need filesharing. But
yes, turn on Windows firewall or use Zone Alarm or Kerio(?) or Sygate.
If he has even one machine on the Net he should be doing that anyway.

(The other poster has a point - buying an 11g card and then
complaining that it has range beyond the front door is like buying a
Porsche and then complaining that it goes too fast and he might
crash.)

nl

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That depends on how you configure your base station..
> If you do nothing, it's a two-way street, i.e. you use your neighbors line
> and he and everybody else uses yours......
>
> When setting up the base station (there are 4 RJ45 ports on it?, so
> connect

Yes, I have 4 RJ45 ports on my base station also I have 2 computers. I
connected 1 computer to the RJ45 and I have the other connected thru
wireless.

> by cable while setting up), hide SSID, use DHCP (aren't they all
> routers?),allow only specific MACs access, use WAP encryption.
> And no admin access from the wireless side, you usually have to do it only
> once.
> And a strong password anyway!!

All the above sounded like good advice so I hid the SSID, used WAP
encryption & used DHCP...also specified the MAC addresses that could connect
to the base station.

I'm a newbie when it comes to wireless but I'm catching on--Thanks for the
info.

--BB

"nl" <nl@codologyBORROX.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:12:57 GMT, "Baad Boy" <Boybaad@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built
>>and
>>found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
>>and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
>>distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question
>>is
>>if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that
>>leaves
>>my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
> It's his setup that is not secure, not necessarily yours. Like the
> other poster said, on your wireless router hide your SSID, enable the
> strongest encryption you can, use restricted MAC addressing, and don't
> share drives from the root. And remember the amount you should worry
> about it is directly proportional to how much you have to lose.

Another good point--no root shares; I'll use that one. I"ve already done
the other items above so I guess I'm in pretty good shape now. I don't put
important stuff on the system with wireless and won't since I see it's
nothing but a radio station waiting for someone to tune in.

> You should inform your neighbour asap his network is insecure. Just
> as soon as you've copied all his MP3s that is.
>
> nl

I'm not sure which neighbor it is, too many apts around here. Maybe when
they start saving digital pics to their folders I'll be able to let them
know. If they create a MP3 folder, I'll probably take my time telling'em =)

--Thanks for the info!
--BB

I'll just make a few points here:
--I"ve got a wireless network/broadband connection & 2 computers (1 wired &
1 wireless)
--Yep I'm new to wireless but not new to networks in general
--Yep I'm firewalled tighter than Dolly Parton in a 32b
--Nope, I don't use file sharing unless I'm doing some file swapping then I
switch it right back off once I'm done
--No complaints about the distance of the PCI wireless adapter; just a
concern of how secure that makes my system

--Thanks for your info guys!
--BB

wrote:

>I installed a wireless network card (802.11g) into a system I just built and
>found that I'm able to connect to my neighbors unsecured wireless networks
>and browse on their dime if I wanted to. That demonstrates to me that the
>distance these radios broadcast goes beyond the front door. My question is
>if anyone knows if this wireless capability is a two way street that leaves
>my system unsecure and open to malicious intent.
>
>Thanks,

Of course it's a two-way street. That's why it always recommended
that you utilize a security (cipher) key in the wireless NIC setup.
An item your neighbor obviously overlooked when he set his up.

Raymond Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000

Had a friend do that too. Then his wife bougth a laptop of her own (with
Wi-Fi) but she couldn't connect..... Of course he didn't remember taht hed
turned MAC control on, didn't remember the SSID and WPA keywords.......
:)
(We redid the whole shebang....)