Building a new PC w config as follows:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Athlon 64 2800+
512MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB
WD800JB
Lite-On LTC-48161H DVD/CDRW
Win XP Home

Powered it up for the first time tonight and saw LED's lite and
speaker beep. BIOS screen appeared. Set the date and configured it
to boot off of CD first, HD second, floppy disabled.

Rebooted with WinXP CD and loaded Windows. Rebooted and all went well
as long as Win CD in the drive. When I try to boot from the HD I get
a boot disk error.

I have tried resetting the boot priority to HD firs and CD second
without any change.

All thoughts welcome.

Douglas

Dee

Douglas Fifield wrote:

> All,
>
> Building a new PC w config as follows:
>
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> Athlon 64 2800+
> 512MB Ram
> ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB
> WD800JB
> Lite-On LTC-48161H DVD/CDRW
> Win XP Home
>
> Powered it up for the first time tonight and saw LED's lite and
> speaker beep. BIOS screen appeared. Set the date and configured it
> to boot off of CD first, HD second, floppy disabled.
>
> Rebooted with WinXP CD and loaded Windows. Rebooted and all went well
> as long as Win CD in the drive. When I try to boot from the HD I get
> a boot disk error.
>
> I have tried resetting the boot priority to HD firs and CD second
> without any change.
>
> All thoughts welcome.
>
> Douglas

Go to the Western Digital site:

http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp

and download "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows"

http://support.wdc.com/download/windlg/WinDLG.zip

Although you can download it directly with the link immediately above,
the information about the utility is on the page of the 1st link.