80-wire IDE cable

Hello,

I am installing a new Pioneer DVR-109 DVD burner. The specs at Pioneer's
web site recommends an 80-wire IDE cable for the burner to operate at 16X.
How do I know that the cable is 80 wire??

Thankyou,
Shane

Dee

no spam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am installing a new Pioneer DVR-109 DVD burner. The specs at Pioneer's
> web site recommends an 80-wire IDE cable for the burner to operate at 16X.
> How do I know that the cable is 80 wire??
>
> Thankyou,
> Shane

The 80 conductor cable has narrower ridges than the 40 conductor. If
you count the 'humps' of the cable you will find the total to be either
40, if it's an older cable, or 80, if it a newer one. Or, just go to
your local computer store and either look at the package or ask for an
80 conductor cable.

Thanks Dee. I checked and it appears that all the cabling that came with
the motherboard is 80 wire. I suppose 40 wire cables are a thing of the
past and do not come with modern motherboards.

Thanks,
Shane

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> no spam wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am installing a new Pioneer DVR-109 DVD burner. The specs at Pioneer's
>> web site recommends an 80-wire IDE cable for the burner to operate at
>> 16X. How do I know that the cable is 80 wire??
>>
>> Thankyou,
>> Shane
>
> The 80 conductor cable has narrower ridges than the 40 conductor. If you
> count the 'humps' of the cable you will find the total to be either 40, if
> it's an older cable, or 80, if it a newer one. Or, just go to your local
> computer store and either look at the package or ask for an 80 conductor
> cable.

pino

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004

Yes they do, for ususal CD rom connection

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:21:49 +1000, no spam wrote:

> Thanks Dee. I checked and it appears that all the cabling that came with
> the motherboard is 80 wire. I suppose 40 wire cables are a thing of the
> past and do not come with modern motherboards.
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

My Sony DRU710A DVD burner came with a 40 wire cable. My Asus A7N8X-E
Deluxe mobo came with one 80 wire cable (for hard drive) and one 40 wire
cable for CD-Rom, etc.

Patty